Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP

Post by Hanfling »

I think the better approach is to update the map. Figuring such stuff out would be a huge amount of work, just to save a half megabyte. And that would be a 40 ns saving for me, while downloading the patch.
But i should look into manipulating BSP tree on the fly anyway, but i have just tons of dx coding yet to do.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Didn't see them in the first page, so i'll repost some bugs that exist.
First mission, you can skip it by throwing a gas grenade outside the UNATCO HQ and that will cause the guy inside to open the door (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkVkewooBU#t=43s). Maybe make him not react to anything until you complete the mission? Or make the gas from the gas grenade not go through walls?

Paris ending. You and Nicolet both should get in the copta. But you can see her running around when the helicopter is taking off. This is just wrong. (See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bq97o0tfjM#t=44s)

You can go through some walls in Vandenberg. (6:17) (no2 spot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-kRG8cS-4#t=1m10s )

Dont know how to describe it. You are able to fire the LAW through a closed hatch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQOee_7kX8#t=3m06s

Being able to press the "Blow up Area 51" button without doing anything and with the hatch closed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQOee_7kX8#t=5m15s
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Goddamn it, more exploits to fix....

Great speedrun though!
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

First mission, you can skip it by throwing a gas grenade outside the UNATCO HQ and that will cause the guy inside to open the door (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkVkewooBU#t=43s). Maybe make him not react to anything until you complete the mission? Or make the gas from the gas grenade not go through walls?
Unless (I don't think it is) needed to be set this way, just set bIsDoor to false in the properties of the door movers there and I don't think an NPC will be able to open it as I don't think an NPC can open a mover which isn't set to bIsDoor true.
Paris ending. You and Nicolet both should get in the copta. But you can see her running around when the helicopter is taking off. This is just wrong. (See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bq97o0tfjM#t=44s)
First time I have ever seen that one.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Morpheus wrote:
Unless (I don't think it is) needed to be set this way, just set bIsDoor to false in the properties of the door movers there and I don't think an NPC will be able to open it as I don't think an NPC can open a mover which isn't set to bIsDoor true.
Then bBreakable should be false, because otherwise the NPC will destroy the mover if they are trying to get past it.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Long thread so don't have time to check it all, but it its not added, could this also be tweaked?

You use a thermoptic camo or cloak aug and you are invisible to NPCs and can walk past them without being detected until it wears off. However if you shoot, NPCs will know where you are. However, what I don't get is that, NPCs will always know where you are after you shoot, even if you go and hide from them and then come back out, still cloaked or have thermoptic camo activated. Shouldn't the player be invisible again and the NPCs not be able to attack you until you shoot or become visible again, as how will they know exactly where you are?

The first time you pass an NPC when cloaked, they hear something but don't know what it is, but after this, when you shoot, they know where you are. You hide from them, then a few seconds, unhide again, still invisible, they will know the same sound they hear is you now, so instead of always knowing where you are and attacking you, after unhiding, couldn't the hostile NPCs just shoot in the area they heard your footsteps (lower their accuracy so it doesn't seem like they can see you when your invisible), unless you have run silent active and lower the NPCs accuracy the higer level it is, while your still invisible with run silent on.
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Morpheus wrote:Long thread so don't have time to check it all, but it its not added, could this also be tweaked?

You use a thermoptic camo or cloak aug and you are invisible to NPCs and can walk past them without being detected until it wears off. However if you shoot, NPCs will know where you are. However, what I don't get is that, NPCs will always know where you are after you shoot, even if you go and hide from them and then come back out, still cloaked or have thermoptic camo activated. Shouldn't the player be invisible again and the NPCs not be able to attack you until you shoot or become visible again, as how will they know exactly where you are?

The first time you pass an NPC when cloaked, they hear something but don't know what it is, but after this, when you shoot, they know where you are. You hide from them, then a few seconds, unhide again, still invisible, they will know the same sound they hear is you now, so instead of always knowing where you are and attacking you, after unhiding, couldn't the hostile NPCs just shoot in the area they heard your footsteps (lower their accuracy so it doesn't seem like they can see you when your invisible), unless you have run silent active and lower the NPCs accuracy the higer level it is, while your still invisible with run silent on.
It's because they start thinking "there's somebody wearing thermoptic camo I need to look for." After they notice someone attacking.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

It's because they start thinking "there's somebody wearing thermoptic camo I need to look for." After they notice someone attacking.
Yes "look for" they shouldn't instantly know where you are after hiding and reappearing still invisible. Example of what I mean:

Liberty Island. You use thermpotic camo/cloak aug and enter the statue entrance. NSF hear you but can't see you. You shoot, they know your location and shoot at you. You hide for a couple of seconds to the point where they can't find you, and then unhide still using the camo/cloak aug. The NSF STILL know your exactly where you are, even though they couldn't see where you went when hidden. So how would they know instantly where you are when you unhide if they couldn't see where you went when you hid from them? Even as I said above, they heard your footsteps, they shouldn't be able to shoot you unless you shoot again, just shoot in the area they heard the footsteps but not have 100% accuracy so they could miss.
BrecMadak
Mole Person

Post by BrecMadak »

Hi everybody, is this patch dead currently, since Y|yukichigai has been inactive for months ? Hope not so... :/
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

He hasn't worked on it in a while, yeah.

I have access to it, currently, and may implement some of my Human Renovation bugfixes, but I'm holding off on that until my mod is more complete in order to avoid unnecessary work.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Alright, I'm back to working on this for the time being. Maybe. I'm going to try at any rate.

One weird thing I noticed: DeusExWeapon, the pickup state is defined as "state pickup", not "auto state pickup", meaning that the one override in there doesn't actually do anything.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

I have also figured out the whole problem with getting duplicate guns when you start a new game. The function ResetPlayerToDefaults() has this code in it:

Code: Select all

while(Inventory != None)
	{
		anItem = Inventory;
		DeleteInventory(anItem);
		anItem.Destroy();
	}
Unfortunately, that doesn't actually do anything except delete the first item in the player's inventory, which is just enough to screw up the linked list that the inventory system uses. That's why when you restart the game you get double copies of medkits, pistols, so on and so forth: the function that checks to see if you have dupes checks your first item, which is now blank, and goes "oop, guess there's no inventory," completely missing every other item you have on you.

The code should read like this:

Code: Select all

while(anItem != None)
	{
		nextItem = anItem.Inventory;
		DeleteInventory(anItem);
		anItem.Destroy();
		anItem = nextItem;
	}

Inventory = None;
I think someone just didn't get around to finishing the code. The nextItem variable, necessary for the routine, is defined but never used.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Morpheus wrote:
Yes "look for" they shouldn't instantly know where you are after hiding and reappearing still invisible. Example of what I mean:

Liberty Island. You use thermpotic camo/cloak aug and enter the statue entrance. NSF hear you but can't see you. You shoot, they know your location and shoot at you. You hide for a couple of seconds to the point where they can't find you, and then unhide still using the camo/cloak aug. The NSF STILL know your exactly where you are, even though they couldn't see where you went when hidden. So how would they know instantly where you are when you unhide if they couldn't see where you went when you hid from them? Even as I said above, they heard your footsteps, they shouldn't be able to shoot you unless you shoot again, just shoot in the area they heard the footsteps but not have 100% accuracy so they could miss.
I think I covered this earlier in the thread, but yes this is definitely an issue. One of the most blatant ways it shows up is when you get spotted and then run away and successfully hide long enough for them to go into "I think he left but let's keep looking" mode. While this is going on you can run to a completely different room while cloaked and stealthed, making ZERO sound and setting off no alarms, and the dudes will ALL follow you into the other room while "looking" for you. Hell, sometimes you have to step out of the way of them lest they walk into you. For maximum hilarity, the whole time they will be saying "have you seen him" and stuff to that effect.

What's happening behind the scenes is that they're in "looking for target" mode. The problem is, the "looking for target" code just tells them to search in a general area around your EXACT location, and that general area gets updated every few seconds... along with your location. I'm not sure if its intentional to compensate for the limited AI routines, or just code that someone didn't get around to finishing. Either way it's pretty bad and illogical, because internally they know EXACTLY where you are and are just sent to random locations within a certain radius of you on the offchance they'll get pointed in your direction.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I struggled with this one for a long time, and the best thing I've managed to come up with is the (terribly hacky) approach of spawning invisble 'guess pawns' at your location and travelling at your speed, as soon as you're out of sight. The NPCs basically ask "can I see the player?" and if not, they make their best guess at where you've gone and spawn a pawn there which they chase instead. If they find themselves in a situation where they have direct line of sight to the guesspawn, they delete it and start seeking.

It means you can get away with situations like "run down a corridor but quickly hop into an alcove at the side, and watch the guards continue running down the corridor", which is nice. But it is fundamentally a terribad approach.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

DDL wrote:I struggled with this one for a long time, and the best thing I've managed to come up with is the (terribly hacky) approach of spawning invisble 'guess pawns' at your location and travelling at your speed, as soon as you're out of sight. The NPCs basically ask "can I see the player?" and if not, they make their best guess at where you've gone and spawn a pawn there which they chase instead. If they find themselves in a situation where they have direct line of sight to the guesspawn, they delete it and start seeking.

It means you can get away with situations like "run down a corridor but quickly hop into an alcove at the side, and watch the guards continue running down the corridor", which is nice. But it is fundamentally a terribad approach.
I just added an extra variable to ScriptedPawn.uc, a vector indicating the last seen location of the player. As soon as the state transition is made from Attacking to Seeking, that vector is updated with the player's current location, and the "seeking" AI routine is modified to check against that vector, NOT the player's constantly updated location. That solves the most blatantly bad problem, namely NPCs loudly dismaying over how they can't find you while they follow your cloaked ass from room to room. It also makes a lot more sense, since if real people were looking for someone they'd do a radius search around the person's last known location.

Alternatively, you could alter the "seeking" routine to use the player's real location initially, then go off of the NPCs location whenever a new search radius needed to be specified. That would stop the clustering effect of NPCs, though it would look a bit more disorganized.