Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Salk
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP

Post by Salk »

Yuki,

could I humbly suggest you get in touch with G-Flex to work on the unofficial patch? His Human Renovation patch/mod fixes also many aspects of the game not covered by the 2.0 patch. I think you two together could accomplish much.

A big fan of yours! :smile:
BrecMadak
Mole Person

Post by BrecMadak »

Whats current status as of now Y|yukichigai ? Can you give us some information things like you are trying to fix on in the works etc, thx !
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Salk wrote:Yuki,

could I humbly suggest you get in touch with G-Flex to work on the unofficial patch? His Human Renovation patch/mod fixes also many aspects of the game not covered by the 2.0 patch. I think you two together could accomplish much.

I actually do have access to this project as well as my own, so I could be committing stuff to the codebase myself.

However:
  1. I've really been unfortunately slacking off with Human Renovation lately... mostly because I've been working two jobs with a really weird schedule, as well as working on another, completely different project unrelated to Deus Ex. I really hope to get back into it soon, although that probably won't be for another month.
  2. Frankly, my code management for Human Renovation has been a travesty. I didn't really consider that I might have to look at how I implemented very specific changes, so I've just been committing stuff to the project's svn repository at particular intervals, like when I'm releasing a new version, instead of committing individual features at a time. This is going to make things a real pain, and is totally my own fault.
  3. If Yuki is working on it at the moment, I'd rather not step on his toes by committing stuff at the same time he's working on it himself, at least not without some coordination between us.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

There is a problem with the music in the HK_Storage map. About halfway through the map (around the UC) the combat music triggers for seemingly no reason.
It is a vanilla bug/GOTY bug. For now GMDX features a workaround to this problem but pinpointing the actual cause has been unsuccessful.
Searching of these forums brings up nothing besides mine and DDentonas discussion on it before.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Are you sure that's not because of the mini spider bots inside the wall near the UC?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Are you sure that's not because of the mini spider bots inside the wall near the UC?
Possibly. Most spiderbots when setup to be released are hidden from world until the event that releases them is triggered, so could be that. However the music glitches out when the player is a fair distance away (stealing the suspended augs above for example), and it doesn't stop glitching either. Music triggering in general is based on enemy distance to the player as well as whether or not they are aware of your presence, so I am confused about this one, but when hunting before the spiderbots were my prime suspects.
I think I'll hide them from world and run through the map, see what happens.

Edit: OK, found the problem. The spiderbots orders were 'Attacking'. I set the orders to to 'Standing' instead and added a orders trigger into the dispatcher sequence of events once the UC 525 code is entered. Fixed.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Edit: OK, found the problem. The spiderbots orders were 'Attacking'. I set the orders to to 'Standing' instead and added a orders trigger into the dispatcher sequence of events once the UC 525 code is entered. Fixed.
Thanks! Just implemented this for Revision too.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Definitely making a note of that. Thanks!

The thing about the 'Attacking' order is that it causes them to be aware of the player no matter what. Whoops.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

....I really should have made note of all vanilla issues I fixed in the maps. Sorry guys. Play GMDX and you may or may not spot them, but you'll have fun, that I guarantee ;)
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

G-Flex wrote:
Salk wrote:Yuki,

I actually do have access to this project as well as my own, so I could be committing stuff to the codebase myself.

However:
  1. I've really been unfortunately slacking off with Human Renovation lately... mostly because I've been working two jobs with a really weird schedule, as well as working on another, completely different project unrelated to Deus Ex. I really hope to get back into it soon, although that probably won't be for another month.
  2. Frankly, my code management for Human Renovation has been a travesty. I didn't really consider that I might have to look at how I implemented very specific changes, so I've just been committing stuff to the project's svn repository at particular intervals, like when I'm releasing a new version, instead of committing individual features at a time. This is going to make things a real pain, and is totally my own fault.
  3. If Yuki is working on it at the moment, I'd rather not step on his toes by committing stuff at the same time he's working on it himself, at least not without some coordination between us.
I just committed some changes I made, so feel free to work on it if you like.

Also, don't feel bad about SVN management. Take a look at how I commit SVN changes sometime. :P
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Bear in mind that your ScriptedPawn mover-breaking restrictions might have unintended consequences. For example, you require that they hold a weapon, but this will include anything from firearms to batons to gas grenades, and they won't intentionally switch to a weapon in order to break through. Also, pathfinding sucks enough that it totally breaks if they can't path through a mover, but you probably knew that.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh, here is another vanilla bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8E4pSndL14

Right at the end of the vid.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

G-Flex wrote:Bear in mind that your ScriptedPawn mover-breaking restrictions might have unintended consequences. For example, you require that they hold a weapon, but this will include anything from firearms to batons to gas grenades, and they won't intentionally switch to a weapon in order to break through. Also, pathfinding sucks enough that it totally breaks if they can't path through a mover, but you probably knew that.
The weapon requirement was chosen because I looked at who needed to break through movers versus who didn't. The cases where it's most glaringly obvious are Nicolette and the Triad members at the Lucky Money after the MJ12 attack. Every other time it's happened the pawns who break the movers are wielding a weapon. Pretty much any generic grunt is.

Also I didn't add it to the latest version of 2.0 yet, so we're clear. It's just what I did in Shifter because it drove me nuts. :P
The Moon Chef
Mole Person

Post by The Moon Chef »

Might I ask what the 'Pistol Downgrade trick' is referring to? If it is what I think it is it's referred to in the manual on page 5: "While creating your character, you can downgrade your automatic level of Pistol to increase your point total for other skills, but this is not recommended for first time players. Downgrade is only available at the start of a new game." Not exactly something to be 'fixed'.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Except that when you then actually start the game you'll be trained in pistols anyway, even if downgraded. So then you can downgrade, get more skillpoints and then when the game starts it will still be trained.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.