Deus Ex Editing PACK 2.2 [RELEASE]

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Yachs
Thug

Re: Deus Ex Editing PACK 2.2 [RELEASE]

Post by Yachs »

Attach to your pack model convertors. Oh, good idea - make a graphical interface for the convertors) It helps 3d-artists save a lots of time)
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Yeah, I wish I was good enough at programming to do this, but I was thinking about a random room generator like the one used in Oblivion. You could set the initial size values of the map (16 rooms, 8 hallways, 3 levels, varying size values), and you press a button, and it gives you a random layout.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Forget that last post. Ok I've been using Ued2 for some time and the only problems I've found are:

Custom meshes will appear jumbled in the editor, but fine in game.

Tends to crash when building pathnodes. Requires Ued1 to build, before continuance.

Will sometimes not save over a pre-existing file. Requires Ued1 to save over, before continuance.

Ued2 will not load a package that has text files built into it. Which is rough for deus ex editing. The exact error is: http://img638.imageshack.us/i/breakq.jpg/

The auto-lighting feature in the 3d window can screw your file up, such that it will freeze up black and not even Ued1 will load it. This only happens when you add new geometry and new lighting simulateneously before building to an already complex map.
Last edited by Neveos on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rodewijk
Mole Person

Post by Rodewijk »

what thing protects the maps and texture packs and dont let them show after saving it and how do i disable that my dx wont let me load stuf it its protected :shock:
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Rodewijk wrote:what thing protects the maps and texture packs and dont let them show after saving it and how do i disable that my dx wont let me load stuf it its protected :shock:
I dunno I've never heard of that. Must be something to do with you not being logged into windows as the same user everytime, and saving your files as different users maybe?

Also, I found another problem. Ued2 comes with a caroneelevatorset.u but it is out of date, and it can't be updated. It just reports "cannot find caroneelevatorset.u" if you try to replace it with a newer version.

-edit- I figured out what causes Ued2 to be unable to save over a file. If you open a file in Ued1, and say, for some reason, you do not perform a "save" of that file while using Ued1 (like maybe you just wanted to see if you can place something in the same map using Ued1, and you just close it out), you will be unable to perform a "save" of that file in Ued2. What you have to do to break the curse on that filename, is to save your map using Ued1. After that you can continue to save using Ued2.

I kept running into this problem, because I kept both editors open since Ued2 crashes on building pathnodes so often, but Ued1 doesn't. I would formulate in Ued2 because of its ergonomics, save, open it in Ued1, build, save, and open it in Ued2. If I didn't save in Ued1, I couldn't save in Ued2.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I have a "bug" to report in UED1, each time you open a map the open-dialog is set to filter Unreal map files; it's somewhat annoying to change it to "All files" each time you are about to open a map. ^_^

Another annoyance I've gotten is that you have to load your custom packages yourself in UED2, but I understand why, not much to do about it I guess...

Other than that I find that it's a really good editing package! Keep up the good work Veronika =)
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Another annoyance is that in some cases the physics resets to PHYS_Falling after the map is saved in UED2. Is that possible to fix?
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Mine doesn't have this problem. I think you may be going through a problem in which your games aren't saving. This happens if you open up your map in Ued1, and do not save it in Ued1. It will cause your map to become unsaveable in Ued2. You'll need to open the game in Ued1 and save it. This will allow you to continue saving it in Ued2. If you have already lost a significant amount of work, you probably haven't. You'll just need to load the "Auto#.dx" that was saved by Ued2 last.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH yeah that happened to me all the fucking time with TNM. Never found a solution :/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Jonas wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH yeah that happened to me all the fucking time with TNM. Never found a solution :/
About the Physics resetting?
Neveos wrote:Mine doesn't have this problem. I think you may be going through a problem in which your games aren't saving. This happens if you open up your map in Ued1, and do not save it in Ued1. It will cause your map to become unsaveable in Ued2. You'll need to open the game in Ued1 and save it. This will allow you to continue saving it in Ued2. If you have already lost a significant amount of work, you probably haven't. You'll just need to load the "Auto#.dx" that was saved by Ued2 last.
It's not that I can't save in UED2 or UED1, it saves great. It's just that after I've saved in UED2 properties on some items change from PHYS_None to PHYS_Falling. That's very annoying since you might have fire extinguishers or other items that are rotated and stuff that needs PHYS_None. So each time you've saved in UED2 you need to go back to UED1 and set the Movement property to Phys_none and then save.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah. Especially fucked because I love to rotate objects at odd angles to look more natural in levels, especially the napalm fuel canisters that look totally ridiculous standing up, I generally rotate those to lie down - but you have to disable their physics for that to work, and then you edit the map in UEd2, it re-enables the physics, and the fuel canisters end up sticking out of the goddamn floor. Some of the patches actually addressed problems like that. Super annoying, never found a solution.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

One of many reasons why I prefer Unreal Editor 1 rather than the later one. I also think it has a nicer UI, but that's just me.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Right, I would use it, but I scale a lot, and Ued1 doesn't seem to scale via snapping to the grid. Scaling allows me to make the maps so much faster.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I'm kinda paranoid about scaling, so I never do it. Ever. But UEd2 is still nice because it's more stable and it builds slightly better lighting. It also has a few tools UEd1 doesn't, and I do prefer its interface over the first one personally.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine