List of Things If Possible

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

List of Things If Possible

Post by ZeroPresence »

First, I want to avoid scripting. Gives me the heebe jeebies. Blah.

So... I have a list of things I want to do in some maps I made for kicks and giggles.

A. I have an unconscious guy, I want you to bring him and throw him in one of two places to complete the goal. The first way you get skill points, the second you get skill points, and some dudes trying to shoot your face if you do the other in the next map. Possibilities?

B. When you talk to someone, in the next map you will have some bots available as allies if you say a certain thing. If you don't talk to this person or don't say the correct thing they just sit in some storage things. Eh?

I imagine flags and such, correct? If so a point in the right direction to understand how the silly things work would be gravy.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: List of Things If Possible

Post by Jonas »

Flags would do it. You can use alliance triggers to set the alliance of anybody in the same map though, so for example put an alliance trigger in one of your drop zones that's set to detect his specific corpse class (though this does require that he has a unique corpse class) and then set it up to make those guys hostile that are supposed to attack the player.

Link the same triggers up to a skillpoint trigger and you're good to go. If you're using TNM code we have a limited trigger you can put between them to make sure the player can't get both skillpoint bonuses, eg.:

Trigger 1 on the ground that detects the corpse entering its radius -> limitedtrigger 1 set to trigger one time -> skillpoint trigger 1

Trigger 2 on the ground that detects the corpse entering its radius -> limitedtrigger 1 and alliance trigger 1

So, use the same limitedtrigger. Assuming you don't want to change the attackers back to friendly again later, you won't have to worry about limiting the alliance trigger.

For the second thing you'll need to use a flag, since the results take place in another map from where the player talks to that guy. So in the conversation editor, you set a flag to true when the player's talked to the NPC in question (actually if you set the conversation to only play once, it'll set a flag automatically, try it out and check your flags to find its name which you can then check in another conversation or a trigger or something).

If you want the bots to be friendly immediately upon the player entering the map, you'll have to use the FirstFrame() function in the mission script, but if eg. the player can't see the robots as soon as they enter the map, you can just put a flagtrigger in a position where the player has to walk through it to progress from the level entrance. Make sure you set the flag to check rather than set its flag, then use the flag name from the conversation. Put an alliance trigger that makes all the bots friendly as the event of the flagtrigger and that should do the trick :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

What i was thinking is having conversation A in map 1, which then enables you to talk to someone in map 2, conversation B, which would then enable the bots as your allies.

And the enemies would appear in the second map as well if you threw the corpse in the zone that pisses off these folks, otherwise they're not gonna be there.

THIS is why I made maps and that's it... lol
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You have to use the mission script to spawn or remove enemies. I think DDL coded up a trigger for it but we never used it in TNM.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

By 'spawn' you mean 'uncover' right? Many more options and less problems, and probably prefered in 95% of the cases.

And while what Jonas said about convo's is true, you probably want to use a manual flag if that convo in itself has a good/bad choice. Unless of course it checks for the secondary convo which only runs when doing the good choice.

Confusing enough? :P

PS. ConEdit > Scripting > Mapmaking :giggle:
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...