Rotating a scaled brush

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

Rotating a scaled brush

Post by Neveos »

-fixed- you just right click on a brush, go to transform and then click transform permanently.

I am making a map with incredible ease using ued2 and scaling rather than plugging in grid value to build brushes. I already knew that rotated scaled brushes would get screwy (and with movers etc.), but I tested to see if ued2 would have the same problem, and it appears to be conditional. Like, somehow, right now, the builder brush is able to be scaled and rotated perfectly fine. Yet, at other times, it appears impossible to re-achieve. I'm going to eventually figure out what conditions I met to make this happen, but I'm posting to see if anyone has figured that out already.
Last edited by Neveos on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Rotating a scaled brush

Post by DDL »

Relative vs absolute scaling. Mainscale changes the scale of the brush relative to the brush, postscale changes it relative to the map.

So a mainscale change of X=2.0 on a cube would make it a rectange extended along the X axis: rotate it by 90 degrees and it's a rectange extended along the Y axis. It remains a rectangle at all times. The extension is applied before any rotations are accounted for.

A postscale change of X=2.0 on a cube would make it a rectange extended along the X axis: rotate it by 90 degrees and it's STILL a rectange extended along the X axis. In between, it looks awfully strange. The extension is applied after any rotations are performed.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Interesting, and thank you for explaining it. So is there some way that I can avoid post-scaling? A setting found somewhere, or maybe something I should avoid?

-edit- figured it out:

It just has to be close to the original shape to be rotated without noticing a skewing phenomenon, in my case, a cube, but on the plus side:

-it is no matter how large or small you made the cube, so you can rotate something scaled in size.

-you can perform scaling activities after rotating the original shape, although, now, the scaling will be attracted to the original shape. Not useful for additive brushes, but useful for carving away at them with subtractive brushes.

I don't know why the creator didn't bother fixing this, even in Ued2. It is a simple matter of multiplying the post scale values to the original values.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

omg I can't believe I've been going along this long without knowing this, but to do this, you just right click on a brush, go to transform and then click transform permanently. It seemed like such a simple function I was wondering why it was in there... now I have to blast my whole map with it and realign all my textures.

-edit- scratch that, it doesn't really make anything run any more smoother or faster. but it will be useful for scaling vertexing and rotating.