mp3 recorder

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

mp3 recorder

Post by Neveos »

Anyone have an mp3 recorder that let's me set the parameters of " Mono, 48kbps and 24000Hz.
"

Are those parameters strictly necessary?
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: mp3 recorder

Post by Jonas »

I recommend you download dBpowerAMP, it does everything you'll ever need for working with Deus Ex sounds, and it even has shell integration.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

thanks, and this is pretty much my last option, I hope I can find it free. Ok, I spent over 12 hours yesterday trying to figure this out and not have to ask you guys this, but adding audio is kicking my ass. The conversation occurs, but there is no audio.

Couple inconsistencies are messing me up: Manual says 44k Hz, but tutorials are suggesting 24k Hz. Should this matter? Also, does caps matter in any of the syntax? Thirdly, manual seems to suggest the directory is c:\deusex\MyPackage\*Conversations*\Audio\Mission50\Boss\BossFarewell, but tutorials suggest it is c:\deusex\MyPackage\Audio\Mission50\Boss\BossFarewell. Fourthly, ConEdit tries to set up where Conversations are saved, audio is located, and where backup files are saved: can I just ignore the latter 2, and am I right in assuming this because "browse" opens up, not a directory allocation system, but a file allocation system that i have to back out of. Fifthly, I am using a custom NPC and a custom Player Character, but while conversations are taking place, is there funkiness with uploading audio under these conditions? Lastly, do I need to delete the other ".u" files I generate every time, or just "MyPackage.u"?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

MP3, Mono, 48kbps and 24000Hz

Keep the capitalisation consistent.

Example path:
\DeusEx\TNMConvos1\Audio\Mission20\Beefman\BeefmanGreeting

When you generate filenames in ConEdit, that's the path you have to use. HAVE to use. It depends on what you chose when it asked you where to look for audio.

If your conversations play with your custom playerclass, you're in the clear.

Delete all the .u files related to conversations, including the "Audio" and "Text" ones.

Also:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... f=15&t=219
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Jonas wrote:Example path:
\DeusEx\TNMConvos1\Audio\Mission20\Beefman\BeefmanGreeting

When you generate filenames in ConEdit, that's the path you have to use. HAVE to use. It depends on what you chose when it asked you where to look for audio.
This was the problem. "Generating filenames" must occur, and the dialog lines in ConEd must turn white. The tutorial made it sound like it was a way to just help you understand the way to name them.

Ok, so, in ConEd, if you are stuck like I was, you have to pull up "View" and then "Options".

Make sure "Conversation file path" is set to "C:\DeusEx\MyPackage\Conversations\", or your respective criteria.

And make sure "Audio Path" is set to a pre-created directory (even if you don't already have the audio files in there) "C:\DeusEx\MyPackage\Conversations\Audio\Mission50\Boss\BossFarewell\"

Then click "OK". Click "File" and then "Generate Audio Filenames". It will then turn your turquoise dialog lines white with the file directories next to it.

Record your mp3's and name them "Boss01" "AlexDenton01" etc., and make sure they are placed in that audio path directory. Delete MyPackage.u from the system folder, and do the ucc make. You'll know if they worked because "MyPackageAudioMission50.u" will be larger than 1kb. Then it plays fine. thanks Jonas.
Last edited by Neveos on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There are two more things to look out for:

Once you've generated the filenames, sometimes (but only rarely) it fucks up the naming scheme if you subsequently add more lines to or remove lines from the conversations, and it will end up skipping certain number suffixes or even restarting the count half-way into the conversation. To solve this you may have to manually open every single speech event and delete the generated filepath, then tell ConEdit to generate file paths again. It's a bit balls.

Secondly, make sure you have no ID tags of any kind on your sound files. Any header information can make the game fail to read the length of the sound file correctly so speech events don't end properly. I recommend you use a program like dBpowerAMP (which is generally just your best friend if you're working with large batches of sound files) to mass-clear the ID information from all your conversation audio.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Thanks, yeah. Actually I'll probably end up getting that, but I'm using a trial version of something else. Actually, windows vista has the ability to remove the tags, I think, by selecting all the mp3 files and right clicking and going to properties. Click the details tab, and click Remove Properties and Personal Information. Select remove the following, and click "select all", and then 'ok'.

Question, Jonas, I just made a .cmd file that does the following (I just experimentally did it, and was surprised it worked):

cd c:\deusex\system
del MyPackage.u
del MyPackageText.u
ucc make
pause

Does that mean I'm a prodigy?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Nice, that's gonna be handy for you. For TNM, Nick made batch files for deleting and rebuilding each of our packages or common combinations thereof, it saved us a lot of time in the long run.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine