OK... map and frustration

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

OK... map and frustration

Post by Neveos »

I wanted to be able to reach the ending climax before I shared it, but I am having the hardest time trying to get the simplest things to work right now, and I need to see if you guys can figure out what is going on before I go on.

1.) The Karaoke singer isn't singing his song.

More importantly:

2.) Two NSF Troopers are supposed to leave during the last convo, but one leaves on cue, the other leaves after the convo ends.

3.) "Corporal Benny" doesn't follow the player at the end.

So here is the file: http://rapidshare.com/files/454107629/IWR.zip

It has everything you'll need to load it up in the editor, the map to play is "51_Gville_Downtown.dx" and requires you to load iwr.u, so you'll want to put IWR.u, IWRAudioMission51.u, and IWRText.u in the system folder and replace the user.ini and the deusex.ini with the one's I've provided (make sure to save your old ones by putting them somewhere else). I think you'll also need to put the TNM textures in your DeusEx\Textures folder as well, because I use a couple TNM textures in there.

It's all my voice right now, which is obviously not going to be in the final cut, but it will probably sound hilarious.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: OK... map and frustration

Post by nerdenstein »

Do all the files required for play within the download?
I haven't got TNM installed at the moment and would really like to try it out.
I may not be much help with the things above though. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Off the top of my head, I'm going to suspect this is due to giving orders in conversations.

Orders in convos are notoriously unreliable: usually you're ok if you're triggering an orderstrigger than affects someone NOT in the conversation, but if the person being given orders is in the convo, the orders are delayed until the end. This is to (obviously) stop vital convo actors wandering off and borking the system, but it also limits things quite a lot. Depending on the order, you may find that they eventually follow it (something like wandering usually works), whereas for others the vital stages of order establishment may be lost by the delay, and they'll ignore it entirely.

Thus I'll hazard a guess that one of the two troopers is involved in the convo, the other is not. Am I close? *downloads* Yes, I think I am. Not sure if there is actually a workaround for this. Maybe have three NSF, with the one in the convo telling the other two to "get on it", so he can stick around and they wander off. Bit rubbish, I know. :-/

For the third problem, I'm going to suspect that "following" is one of those "not very reliable if given during convo" orders. Yes, it happens right at the end, and SHOULD be fine. But meh: DX is a bit shit at times. You could try (slightly dodgy but hey) to have the convo trigger a dispatcher, then have the dispatcher trigger (after say..2 seconds) the orderstrigger, by which point the convo should be over.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Do all the files required for play within the download?
Yeah, I don't know how to do any mod loading, but you can bring up the map and play it in the editor for right now. So you just need to put the following provided files in the system folder (I think this is right):

"IWR.u"
"IWRAudioMission51.u"
"IWRText.u"

-replace (but move your old ones to another folder)-
"DeusEx.ini"
"User.ini"

and (not provided is) TNMCoreTex which needs to be in DeusEx\Textures, which can be found in DeusEx\TNM\Textures if you have TNM installed (but put the two other TNM texture files in there just incase).

Just open up "51_Gville_Downtown.dx" from the Ued and press crtl-p to play.

Everything else is provided in case a brainiac is interested in helping me figure out what's going wrong.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

DDL wrote:Orders in convos are notoriously unreliable: usually you're ok if you're triggering an orderstrigger than affects someone NOT in the conversation, but if the person being given orders is in the convo, the orders are delayed until the end. This is to (obviously) stop vital convo actors wandering off and borking the system, but it also limits things quite a lot. Depending on the order, you may find that they eventually follow it (something like wandering usually works), whereas for others the vital stages of order establishment may be lost by the delay, and they'll ignore it entirely.

Thus I'll hazard a guess that one of the two troopers is involved in the convo, the other is not. Am I close? *downloads* Yes, I think I am.
lol at this
Not sure if there is actually a workaround for this. Maybe have three NSF, with the one in the convo telling the other two to "get on it", so he can stick around and they wander off. Bit rubbish, I know. :-/
Nah, it is alright, I was already imagining 3, with two leaving, one staying, but wow I can't believe you know this system so well.
For the third problem, I'm going to suspect that "following" is one of those "not very reliable if given during convo" orders. Yes, it happens right at the end, and SHOULD be fine. But meh: DX is a bit shit at times. You could try (slightly dodgy but hey) to have the convo trigger a dispatcher, then have the dispatcher trigger (after say..2 seconds) the orderstrigger, by which point the convo should be over.
Ahhh, exactly. Now, the real bugger is why isn't the karaoke bum singing his line? I mean it isn't even confusing the system by changing the music to something else (which it does sometimes when it wants to play but doesn't).
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hrm..dunno. Bigger radius?

I'm kinda waiting for Jonas to weigh in, coz he's a bona fide conedit GOD. Admittedly, getting to that level of experience was akin to serving in the DX equivalent of fucking 'nam, but I reckon he could endure a few PTSD flashbacks. Right, Jonas? :D
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Ok, I seem to have solved the problems thanks to your help. The karaoke singer started magically working all of the sudden. I also found out that in order to follow the player, I have to leave the "ordertag" property blank with the orders being "following".

So let me interject real quick... am I able to do a "runningto" command from an orders trigger with a patrolpoint (or some actor) as the ordertag without needing to use a mission script?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yep, should be able to. RunningTo is almost identical to GoingTo, only..faster. :)
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Oh ok good, the manual warned against it, but i dunno why. Anyway, I found out that the Pawnappear trigger does not work in the conversation for the same reason (if the person is involved in the conversation), just in case anyone is curious.

-edit- isn't there a button that you can hold down to place a pathnode? Like "L" for light.