Summer 101 Release?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
SimonDenton
NSF

Summer 101 Release?

Post by SimonDenton »

Hello fellow Deus Ex Fans,

The mod Summer 101 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/summer-101) was going to be the first mod I'd ever do. It was a long time wish for me to make a mod for the best game ever, Deus Ex. I tried doing mapping, modelling, coding and other things but I needed a team just like with every other Deus Ex mod. I constantly asked for help on these forums and in Deus Ex Editing but I was pressuring the community to go out of their way into something that was hardly being done anymore. Summer 101 had potential of bringing the fun of the game Bully into the Deus Ex world so users could do things like:
-Do side missions to obtain money.
-Buy food for health and energy drinks for "energy".
-Use a spring ability that uses up "energy".
-Use weapons like fists, slingshots, fire crackers, stink bombs, itching powder etc. with corresponding mods and skills in order to inflict damage on anyone the player desired.
-Look for secrets and breaking the rules.
-Doing Deus Ex exploration kind of stuff such as disabling security, looking into emails, finding notes (datacubes) to use keypads and such to find more areas to explore
-Do a couple of missions including a stealth night time mission involving breaking into the school at night with prefects with light belts patrolling...and other cool missions

All that I scaled the mod down to was
- New Levels (accomplished)
-New Weapons (obtained some models but the code is so messy)
-New Missions (some conversations were written)
-Customizing the player class such as only having the speed enhancement aug (used some of the code from burden of 80 proof but got compiler errors that don't explain much)

Worse cast scenario is we just release the maps for exploration out to the community. Maybe then someone would be willing to help out and bring back the dream of meeting the potential Summer 101 had when I started it in 2008. A lot of Deus Ex mods have lost development due to lack of interest and lack of help, including this one, but I believe somehow a mod with so much potential like this one can still make it. Do you believe?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Summer 101 Release?

Post by Jonas »

Yeah chuck it online and see if anybody picks it up and puts in some more work on it. You've nothing to lose by doing so, except a possible publicity splash from releasing a fully finished mod, which may never have happened anyway :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It was highly ambitious, and admirable because Bully was a limited game with huge potential.

I'm OK with projects ending; happens all the time, usually even. I'm not OK with closed-source anything ending, since that's failure -- time, effort, inspiration, art, all wasted.

If you'd like to, open it up! At the most, you'll gain public interest, new developers, and another chance for the project to be completed. At the very least, people will be able to play in a elementary school in Deus Ex, and have multiplayer battles in it. Either way, it's contributing to a world of culture, letting other people build on your work. Opensourcing doesn't even mean the project must end.

Nothing to lose. How was riding the TNM publicity splash, Jonas? :)
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Thanks for the replies!

You recommend I not just send the maps but ALL the code? Especially the code that was hard to sort out and all that? Guess that's what you mean by source. Yeah you never know if proving potential in this mod could make it better. Just hope we still get credit for it :D
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

Long time I haven't been here...
Hey simon, as you may have guessed, I have not enough time to work on summer 101 too; as I don't have enough time to work on TDP...
So yeah, what I recommand you is to release it with the source code and all (That is actually what I did with TDP, can take care of yours if you want)
I released it on my wessite http://dxhosting.net/dlp at http://dxhosting.net/dlp/downloads/tdp.html

Edit: by taking care of it, I mean uploading it on my website and then giving you the link + adding a download link on my website
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:Nothing to lose. How was riding the TNM publicity splash, Jonas? :)
Nothing to lose but that, as I said. And it was nice, but we did put in a fair amount of work on pimping the mod to every news source we could scrounge up contact info for :)

It's a bit hit-or-miss whether you'll manage to stir the pot to that degree, so if that's the only pay-off to playing the cards close, it may not be worth it. That's all I'm saying ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Darma wrote:Long time I haven't been here...
Hey simon, as you may have guessed, I have not enough time to work on summer 101 too; as I don't have enough time to work on TDP...
So yeah, what I recommand you is to release it with the source code and all (That is actually what I did with TDP, can take care of yours if you want)
I released it on my wessite http://dxhosting.net/dlp at http://dxhosting.net/dlp/downloads/tdp.html

Edit: by taking care of it, I mean uploading it on my website and then giving you the link + adding a download link on my website
The maps I have are outdated and they depends on TNM and Zodiac but I thought you changed all that...mind giving me all the necessary stuff? Thanks in advance.
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

Na, I will give you. I'm gonna check if they need anything like that first and then I send you

Edit: checked all the maps, the source code, the textures. All seems to be working. Uploading 3 .rar now: source code, textures and the compiled mod itself.
May I release it on my website too?
Edit: Gotta go, launched the upload. You should find all the necessary in the link I'll send you by email

Also, it's sad to see the DX community disapearing but I'm done with mapping. I'll only code for dx from now and I'm slowly leaving the modding community of dx to get on new games like Minecraft or maybe an indie
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Thanks man I'll open the email and have a test...maybe add one some REALLY small things that don't wreck the whole system. Yeah I don't have too many fond memories of DX modding but by releasing s101 I will feel that I have accomplished something. I spent loads of time fooling around with UED1 in the past and made loads of different easy maps that I lost but I remember :)
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I have bad experiences with one guy hoarding a mod and never delivering (TSLRP) so yeah, if it's going to die better get it out there and let the rest fix it.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Just an update

The alpha build works fine aside from:

Warning: Failed to load 'bookmodsummer101': Can't find file for package 'bookmodsummer101'
Warning: Failed to load '31_SchoolInterior.dx': Can't find file for package 'bookmodsummer101'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'bookmodsummer101'

Darma can I have that booksmodssummer101 package? Then it is all over :mrgreen:
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

My bad http://dxhosting.net/dlp/downloads/BookModSummer101.utx here is it :]
Edit: also reuploading the package with it in.
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Thanks Darma!

All we have to do now is tackle this when I open 31_SchoolInterior

Code: Select all

Log: Loading: Package bookmodsummer101
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: InPos<=Size [File:..\..\Core\Inc\FFileManagerWindows.h] [Line: 57]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: FArchiveFileReader::Seek
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Seek
Critical: LoadImportMap
Critical: ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad
Critical: UObject::GetPackageLinker
Critical: ULinkerLoad::VerifyImport
Critical: ValidateImports
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Verify
Critical: ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad
Critical: UObject::GetPackageLinker
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Engine.Level None.MyLevel 31_SchoolInterior.dx)
Critical: VerifyPackages
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LoadURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: ClientTravel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

strange, I'm not getting any error. Can you pm me your log?
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Even with different DeusEx.exe it doesn't work :/