Help with Milskhape 3d

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

Re: Help with Milskhape 3d

Post by Neveos »

just search milkshape on youtube. watch the tutorials. you inspired me to get it too, btw
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Micro-Ice wrote:Hi I've just installed Milkshaped 3d in order to create models for DeusEx, but i don't know how to use it. can you help me out ?
At a push you could try Psionic's tutorials here. They're basic but should get you started, they're what I learned from when I started modelling about 10 years ago.

But I'd recommend, even for Deus Ex, getting a package like Blender, Max or Maya - simply because part of making models is making UV maps, which Milkshape 3d can't do unless Lithunwrap is still available somewhere.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

There's also a good compendium of tutorials on the ms3d site: http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/tutorials.html

And yes, ms3d can't do UV mapping worth a goat's balls. So I use Unwrap3D (formerly lithunwrap)
A hole is a hole.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Is Unwrap3D still being developed? I'm amazed it's still there, I think I switched to Max and stopped using MS3D/Unwrap3D back in 2006..
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

It was last updated 1 month ago lol, that programmer is hardcore.

Every time I go to use it, it's a different version, so yeah, the guy who maintains that program has done a fantastic job keeping it up to date. Although he's on to version 3.0 now so I think I'd have to buy it again to get the latest version. Though back when I bought it, it was only $30. It was well worth it.
A hole is a hole.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

Get ready for some frustration.

Recommendations:
If you want to make a somewhat complex model, use u2de3d from D.E.E.D. to convert your model to DX format, cause the Milk Shape tool will deform your model. this method implies to export your model to U/UT 3d (unreal) and convert them to DX.
I had similar issues with this tool but resently discovered how to overcome them.
Your model must be large but not to much or it will be imported wrong, the polygon number doesn't matter but don't try to make your model too detailed like 8 sided fingers for example. If the vertyces are too close to each other the animations will look wrong.