from veronika: DxOgg.u for Ued2

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

from veronika: DxOgg.u for Ued2

Post by Neveos »

-edit update- This is how it works:

"Basically, have Veronika's DXOgg.u in Ued2 (no .dll), and have TNM's in System along with the DXOgg.dll. Make sure the DeusEx.ini has DXOgg.u in the EditPackages (this will cause the game to load the correct .u file). Simply load Veronika's dxogg.u in the Ued2 editor (since this will actually load, and can be placed like normal), and it will work when you autoplay. If no music is playing, then I guess make sure you rebuild the map after placing it."

Attached is a version of the DXOgg.u that can apparently be placed in her version of the Ued2 editor. She sent me this file via email. Unfortunately, while it places the actor in the map, it doesn't seem to play any music. In the email she gave these directions:

"And finally, about DxOgg for UED2. You'll will find it in the attached
ZIPfile. Put it into UED2\ directory, and remove DxOgg.dll from this
directory (if any). After this, you can load it using Class browser, and
use it as usuallly. This is only for UED2.
Please, distribute it ... i think peoples will need this file. For
examle in Offtopicproductions forum. I don't have time for this for now."

She appears very busy, but I wanted to go ahead and give it to anyone who could figure out how to make it work.

-edit-

Ok, here's the perk and/or work around:

While it allows you to bring up a map which has the DXOgg actor in it, it will fail to autoplay using Ued2, saying it cannot find a certain something in "DXOgg.dll". I've exhausted all permutations of trying different loading methods to get this to work, but it won't.

So place her DXOgg.u file in the DeusEx\Ued2 folder, like she says. When you open the editor, load -it- up, along with your other packages, and build as you normally would (placing it and using it as you would). But you'll need to use/have open Ued1 in order to play the map, and it will also play the music as it should. It is good to have the earlier editor available anyway to build paths and look at the positioning of custom meshes.

But a word of Caution: Having open both editors can cause Ued2 to NOT SAVE your map when you tell it to do so. You will have to check to make sure it saved. An easy way to do this is to change the shape of the red builder brush to a cylinder or a cone or something which it was not, save it, and reload it. Since you can see the red builder brush easily from anywhere, you'll know it saved. If it didn't save, the only way to get it to continue saving, is to open the map in Ued1, save whatever bullshit it loads up, and then save the shit you WANT to save in Ued2. It seems to fix the problem... basically, never open up a map your making in Ued1 without saving it.
Attachments
DxOgg.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by Neveos on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Neveos
X-51

Re: from veronika: DxOgg.u for Ued2

Post by Neveos »

Curious matter:

I tried another work around by "quick saving" during a playthrough of my game. Then, later, I autoplayed in Ued2, in some random map which did not have a DXOgg actor in it, so that Deus Ex was running. I "quick loaded" and was able to play through my game with the music playing.

Then I thought, oh, nice, I'll just make a map in Ued2 from which I'll teleport to the map I want to autoplay in with the music playing. Didn't work, unfortunately.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Cool Thanks! :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Scratch all the problems, the .u actually does work. I don't know why it wasn't working the first time, but I think maybe I didn't build the map (I feel like I would have tried that by now)? I don't know, this thing just started randomly working.

Basically, have Veronika's DXOgg.u in Ued2 (no .dll), and have TNM's in System along with the DXOgg.dll. Make sure the DeusEx.ini has DXOgg.u in the EditPackages (this will cause the game to load the correct .u file). Simply load Veronika's dxogg.u in the Ued2 editor (since this will actually load, and can be placed like normal), and it will work when you autoplay. If no music is playing, then I guess make sure you rebuild the map after placing it.