Importing textures for DX?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Fiberawptic
Mole Person

Importing textures for DX?

Post by Fiberawptic »

Hi, I'm a newb as you will be able to tell. I want to redo the Manhattan skyline of the NY levels in DX and i'm using a program to open up the .utx files to pull out the textures i want to edit. I export them and load them into gimp to edit them. Now after editing the texture, i have no idea how to put it back into the .utx file it came from so i can run the game and it will show up. What program do i use to do this?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Importing textures for DX?

Post by Jonas »

You use UnrealEd for that. There's a texture browser built into it, you just load the .utx file there, import your new texture, and save the file.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Fiberawptic
Mole Person

Post by Fiberawptic »

I downloaded UnrealED and got that working ok. I was able to export my textures so i can edit them. After i edited one of the textures, i imported it to see if it would work. When i imported it back into UnrealED and made its package, group, and file name the same as the original so it would replace it, it looks like the image was black and white instead of color and shortly afterward, UnrealED would act stupid and crash... Whats going on? lol

P.S Whats the maximum dimensions you can make a texture for DX?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Hrmm..did you delete the pre-existing texture from the package before 'replacing' it? (NB:do so only while you currently have no map loaded that might contain the tex you're deleting). I'm not 100% sure it tolerates simple 'overwriting' (though DaveW would almost certainly know: he's gotta be pretty much the authority on fucking with .utx packs by now)..

Also, make sure it's the same texture dimensions as the original or you'll get scaling errors (at least in level geometry). You can of course circumvent this by changing the texture>>drawscale under texture properties, though this does require you to get the texture imported and saved correctly in the first place.. :-/

So. Things to check:

Is it an 8-bit pcx file? Each texture is capped at 256 colours, though the game will sometimes let you import textures that have greater colourdepth, and then fuck you over (like yours seems to be doing).

Does it have power of 2 dimensions? (32, 64, 128 etc -the U and V don't have to match, so you could have 64x256 or whatever, but they both need to be 2^N in size).

Is it greater in size that 256x256? If so, you can import it fine (up to about 1024x1024 I believe) but unless you are using one of the improved renderers, it will be mipmapped back to 256x256.
Fiberawptic
Mole Person

Post by Fiberawptic »

Thanks for the helpful reply! So i know i'm doing the dimensions correctly (for now im making it the exact same dimensions as the original), and i am deleting the original texture before replacing. The only thing i'm trying to figure out is how to change the color depth. I'm not sure if thats the issue or not, but i'm still getting my problem even after doing the other things you said... How can i change the color depth to an 8-bit, or 256 total colors like you say?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You have to do that with your image editing program.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine