I noticed a surprising number of things that could be fixed, both old and new. It's mostly bugfixing and balance-tweaking, without many major content changes at all; I was going more for a "patch" approach than a "mod" approach, despite the fact that a few bits of content notably have been changed. That said, I'm quite pleased with the changes I've made (except maybe the ones that still need some playtesting and balancing), so if anybody out there is actually reading this and cares to take a look, input would be greatly appreciated.
The downloadable mod, documentation (including a full list of changes), and source can be found at the Google Code project page.
There are some things I wish I could have implemented, but I haven't. For example, I didn't implement any of Deus Ex Enhanced's code for its own GUI scaling or new fonts, because I'm not sure how and because I'd rather not have this require DirectX 10 to function.
Copied from that page's description of the project:
- Implemented a vast number of bugfixes and other tweaks from Deus Ex 2.0 and Shifter, such as allowing unconscious NPCs to be killed, broken mission scripts, and a whole lot of other things.
- Many more old and new bugs have been fixed: Firing spread is now circular instead of square, aspect ratio problems (e.g. widescreen displays) are a thing of the past, problems with some augmentations have been fixed, some more mission script bugs are fixed as well, and a host of other bugs, large and small, have been effectively taken care of.
- Field of View angle is adjusted automatically for your aspect ratio, even for weapon scopes and binoculars (another previously unsolved problem). This should finally make the game fully widescreen-compatible.
- Enemies now scale in difficulty and alertness as you increase the difficulty level, and NPCs are a bit more difficult in general, especially unique ones like the various augmented ones.
- Some weapon balance and features have been improved (e.g. less powerful nanosword, better plasma weaponry, sabot slugs without pellet spread, and many other small changes).
- "Swimming" skill is now "Athletics" and affects your speed, jumping, and falling damage as well as swimming speed and oxygen capacity.
- A few augmentations have been rebalanced a bit, including a less-overpowered regeneration augmentation, speed aug that doesn't work as well when crouched, improved spy drone costs, an always-active EMP Shield, and slightly better Microfibral Muscle.
- Better and more realistic bullet/projectile spread from weapons like the shotguns and plasma rifle.
- New and better laser sight mechanic, improving upon Shifter's model.
- HDTP compatibility.
- Many other fixes and tweaks; see the readme file for more information, available as a standalone download, in the downloadable mod package, and in the source.