Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

Post by G-Flex »

I apologize again for the slow progress; I've been busy with two jobs, another project, and I mostly just have some of the toughest stuff left for the new version, which is... a pain.

At some point soon I'll try to upload a rudimentary changelog from my own notes.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

No need for apologies at all! We're just grateful for your Human Renovation! :giggle:

Just one small consideration: might it be worth to release a version without the most painful to code changes to have some feedback and perhaps find new motivation?

It's just an idea...

Thanks!
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Salk wrote:Just one small consideration: might it be worth to release a version without the most painful to code changes to have some feedback and perhaps find new motivation?
I would, but some of that stuff is already partly implemented. Basically, I'm in too deep to stop now.

Anyway, here's a pastebin with my working notes for the upcoming version: http://pastebin.com/VxYL92pi

Please note that these notes were not intended for human consumption. They were just noes I made for myself, so they might not make much sense to anyone else, and are a total mess. Feel free to ask me for any clarifications. A + before a line means that thing was fixed/implemented, a ~ means it's partially done, a - means it's not done, and a . or bullet is just a note.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Wow!

That was quite exciting! It seems the next version is going to offer lots of interesting changes!

Thanks for sharing!
eshkrm
Thug

Post by eshkrm »

G-Flex wrote: I would, but some of that stuff is already partly implemented. Basically, I'm in too deep to stop now.
Your project is under version control though. A good practice is to commit after every feature you implement and mention it in the log for future reference. It's kind of worrying that you don't commit very often given the number of changes you're making. Just saying.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

eshkrm wrote:
G-Flex wrote: I would, but some of that stuff is already partly implemented. Basically, I'm in too deep to stop now.
Your project is under version control though. A good practice is to commit after every feature you implement and mention it in the log for future reference. It's kind of worrying that you don't commit very often given the number of changes you're making. Just saying.
The only reason this is the case is because I didn't have internet access where I lived for, well, far too long. Otherwise, I would have been committing regularly. I do keep backups, if that helps!

Seriously though, if it weren't for the aforementioned circumstances, I would have done things differently.
eshkrm
Thug

Post by eshkrm »

No worries. I just don't want you to back yourself into a corner. FYI, it is possible to keep a local svn/Git repository on your machine and then later move it to some web host with the history of your changes intact.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

Hello,
I'd like to copy source code from Human Renovation into my mostly Shifter-based DX game. I know where the source code is, but I'm wondering what uc files should I look for to copy:

-enemy NPC updates (AI, etc.)

-fitness skill

-weapon circular spread, and maybe the laser improvement

I can read the code pretty easily once I find it, I'm just not sure where to look (aside from obvious places like in the swimming skill uc file, for example)

Thank you!
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

The most important ones are the files for any relevant skills or augmentations, DeusExPlayer, ScriptedPawn, DeusExWeapon. Some of the aspect ratio correction stuff is in AugmentationDisplayWindow.

However, I can't really promise that cherry-picking code from different files will work well. The Deus Ex codebase has a lot of interaction between classes, so it's easy to forget which changes in one file are required for changes in another file to work and vice-versa.
Frahnkenshteen
Mole Person

Post by Frahnkenshteen »

Any updates on development, with the new HDTP Beta compatible version of Shifter version now being out and all?
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

G-Flex wrote:
Salk wrote:Just one small consideration: might it be worth to release a version without the most painful to code changes to have some feedback and perhaps find new motivation?
I would, but some of that stuff is already partly implemented. Basically, I'm in too deep to stop now.

Anyway, here's a pastebin with my working notes for the upcoming version: http://pastebin.com/VxYL92pi

Please note that these notes were not intended for human consumption. They were just noes I made for myself, so they might not make much sense to anyone else, and are a total mess. Feel free to ask me for any clarifications. A + before a line means that thing was fixed/implemented, a ~ means it's partially done, a - means it's not done, and a . or bullet is just a note.
+ Make sure NPCs in conversation won't cut conversation short if damaged by poisoneffect damage
I know some conversations are necessary or if not, useful, but wouldn't seem right if the NPC kept talking while taking poison damage..or dying while still in conversation if they are not invincible or how did you fix that?
+ game no longer says "game is not pauseable" if it's actually been paused
I have never seen that in the game, even when I have paused the game and that has been many times.

I have not read everything so I don't know if it has been fixed, but has the Mission02 Castle Clinton been fixed where if you come out of Castle Clinton but don't kill any NSF, but Anna still acts like you did and plays the "You are not afraid to kill" convo instead of the "You were too gentle with the NSF but I can't complain"? or does the game count NSF killed inside the castle tunnels before you come up to where the Anna and the 2 UNATCOTroops are?

Also, if it hasn't been done already, could a fix be made for the MJ12Labs UNATCO mission? If you meet Gunther in Battery Park and choose to fight him instead of surrendering, you can start in the detention cell with minus health on parts of your body. I remember on my last full playthrough I had minus torso heath when I started that mission, which there is no way you should still be alive from. Maybe if that is the case and you did get attacked by Gunther instead of surrendering, maybe you could start with low health rather than this 0 or minus health in parts of your body?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Under what circumstances did you end up with anomalous health in the detention center? I know the game checks your health and sets your body parts to 50% health if they're below that, but if that screws up sometimes, I'd definitely want to fix it.

Regarding poison damage: The conversation would still bail if they died, of course. The only difference is that they don't do the grunt/twitch while in conversation, and will keep talking. It's a trade-off; the conversation system (or scripts?) generally doesn't account for a conversation being aborted early, so it's possible to miss an entire conversation, including one with important interactive bits.

The Castle Clinton bit is solved, and was also either solved or partially solved by Shifter and/or Deus Ex 2.0. I did mess with the carcass code so that carcasses never technically get destroyed and are always technically spawned, so that modders can count dead dudes via carcass-counting more reliably, and should always be able to tell who killed who even if they got gibbed.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Under what circumstances did you end up with anomalous health in the detention center? I know the game checks your health and sets your body parts to 50% health if they're below that, but if that screws up sometimes, I'd definitely want to fix it.
Its been a long time since I played it, but I remember getting killed by Gunther's Plasma Gun and when the MJ12 Labs map loaded, I think some of the players body parts were -1 health (either torso or head) or were 0% health (I can't remember for sure if any health was negative, might have been, but I'd have to play through this part to test it again, might if I have free time.)
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Johnson
Mole Person

Post by Johnson »

Hi im wondering if this information is up to date

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm#downloads

"Deus Ex Enhanced fixes some niggles Deus Exe does not: it includes high-res fonts and user interface elements, and fixes scopes/binoculars at high resolutions. Especially recommended if you find the scaling-disabled text too tiny. Unfortunately, this patch is mutually exclusive with the v2.0 fan patch discussed above.".

The fan patch he refers to is "human renovation". It's confusing when there are two different fan patches and they both fix different things

"High resolution anti-aliased fonts *
Fixes the dialogue cut-off problem experience by users with high resolution monitors/panels *
Weapon accuracy fixes for screens with the following aspect ratios: 16:10, 16:9, 5:4
(the targeting area is the same size as on a 4:3 aspect ratio display, which the game was originally designed for)
Improved Sniper scope and binocular views with:
increased visible area
higher resolution graphics.
Binocular view's center box now has a purpose (subtly increased brightness and detail)
The augmentation targeting square lines up perfectly with all crosshairs (normally it does not)
Fine grain control of in-game brightness settings (1% increments instead of 5%)"
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Johnson wrote:Hi im wondering if this information is up to date

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm#downloads

"Deus Ex Enhanced fixes some niggles Deus Exe does not: it includes high-res fonts and user interface elements, and fixes scopes/binoculars at high resolutions. Especially recommended if you find the scaling-disabled text too tiny. Unfortunately, this patch is mutually exclusive with the v2.0 fan patch discussed above.".

The fan patch he refers to is "human renovation". It's confusing when there are two different fan patches and they both fix different things
I can't seem to load that page right now, but I don't remember him mentioning Human Renovation on that site at all. I know he mentions Deus Ex 2.0 and Deus Ex Enhanced, but I don't recall it mentioning Human Renovation at all.

The following list you quote is all from Deus Ex Enhanced:
"High resolution anti-aliased fonts *
Deus Ex Enhanced does have larger fonts, at least for some things, in keeping with its doubling of the size of interface elements in general.
Fixes the dialogue cut-off problem experience by users with high resolution monitors/panels *
I honestly don't know what causes this; maybe it's only something that happens if you don't use the non-scaled GUI option in kentie's exe? I'd need to know more.
Weapon accuracy fixes for screens with the following aspect ratios: 16:10, 16:9, 5:4
(the targeting area is the same size as on a 4:3 aspect ratio display, which the game was originally designed for)
The guy who made Deus Ex Enhanced seems to have the peculiar notion that running the game at a different resolution or aspect ratio actually affects your accuracy. It doesn't. What it does affect is the size of the targeting area that's drawn on the screen. Deus Ex Enhanced kind of fixes this, but the manner in which it does so is sorely lacking and prone to error. I use different methods entirely.
Improved Sniper scope and binocular views with:
increased visible area
higher resolution graphics.
Yep. Again, he doubled the size of all interface elements. Please note though that in Deus Ex Enhanced, the sniper and binocular views still aren't scaled with resolution, so you still see a higher proportion of your normal viewing angle if you're running a lower resolution. To explain it another way: If the binocular texture's viewable portion is 256 pixels tall, it's still only 256 pixels tall whether the height of the entire display is 480 pixels or 1080, so in the latter case a much smaller portion of your screen would be visible.
Binocular view's center box now has a purpose (subtly increased brightness and detail)
No idea what this is about.
The augmentation targeting square lines up perfectly with all crosshairs (normally it does not)
Not sure what he means here either.
Fine grain control of in-game brightness settings (1% increments instead of 5%)"
This is, as far as I know, the one thing from Deus Ex Enhanced that's still in my mod. No reason why not!