Conversation and NPC questions

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
beretta
Thug

Conversation and NPC questions

Post by beretta »

I had a couple questions with the editor, Is it possible to have a conversation for a pawn that will activate any time on any map? and is it possible to set a pawn to attack any pawns hostile to player?

Thanks for any help.
Crowe
Thug

Re: Conversation and NPC questions

Post by Crowe »

IRT Pawns attacking pawns:

It is possible using an AllianceTrigger.

http://www.planetdeusex.com/tack/HowToA ... ances.html

IRT convos:

This would not be possible without some amount of coding. Each file in the ConversationEditor is tailored to a specific map--for example, the conversation file handling the conversations during the Liberty Island mission only refers to that particular mission--you would not be able to plop the NSF leader into the Battery Park map and have it pick up on the conversation.

A suggested alternative:

Put the conversation in every file, along with a Flag. This way, whenever the player accomplishes whatever tasks are necessary to initiate the conversation, all he would have to do is find the corresponding NPC and initiate it. Even though the same conversation exists in all the other maps, triggering it the first time would trigger the Flag, and the Flag would then forbid it from being triggered again. It would be redundant and complicated, but it is possible.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well missions and maps are not the same thing. If all his maps are in the same mission, any conversation will apply to every map. Otherwise yes, it is as you say.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Crowe
Thug

Post by Crowe »

Right...

If all the mission numbers are the same (i.e., 20_Street, 20_Building, 20_Rooftop, etc) then it is possible, but if it's something like 20_Street, 21_Building, 22_Rooftop then the files will be different and therefore unconnected.
beretta
Thug

Post by beretta »

Extremely helpful, Thanks.