Need a friend on Mod DB

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

Need a friend on Mod DB

Post by Neveos »

So I lost my wallet the other day, and I freaked thinking about losing my laptop with all the mod on it. So I created a Mod DB account so I could maybe start uploading content, and getting positive stimulus for whatever new stuff I do, and the other heavy reason was that I wanted a website that I could upload stuff to so I could access it from another comp if my laptop fails me.

To have a private base of content, I need to create a private group, but it requires a second person in the group to be valid. Is anyone active on the site that would like to volunteer to be, simply, in the group so it won't get deleted (they pose as sticklers)? I don't trust the random ppl on the forums there.

Here is the group: http://www.moddb.com/groups/dxiwr-group

Here is the mod (fyi): http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-invis ... evised-iwr

You might not be able to see the group because it is set to private, and if so, you can just write your syntactical user name and I'll invite you. Much appreciated.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Dragon
Silhouette

Re: Need a friend on Mod DB

Post by Dragon »

Such a "one-user" rule would be strange to me. I'm owning a group which has only one member (required for game engines) and it works. But maybe this is because you set it on private. Why exactly you want to do this? For a mod you do not have to make the group private just set it so nobody can add content. Concerning backup of your stuff you are better off using a file host and encrypting the files using a password. In the worst case somebody gets hold of the file but can't decrypt it.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm a regular on Moddb so I'll join it.
I can't access it right now (awaiting authorisation) but I'll try again later.

Username: nerdenstein.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

nerdenstein wrote:I'm a regular on Moddb so I'll join it.
I can't access it right now (awaiting authorisation) but I'll try again later.

Username: nerdenstein.
Awesome, I sent the invite.

@Dragon:

It's not actually the adding of content, it is the DL'ing of content. Besides the fact that I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist (I'm going to be pulling out a lot of controversial conspiracy theories), and a lot of the content is actually possibly copy written that I don't want to have to jostle around. Like all of the music (ogg's) I have in place are copy written and I have quotes from various books (like the Meritocracy myth). So, I'm trying to avoid a bunch of random persons DL'ing stuff (especially when it's all my voice acting right now) and interested persons raising hell for what they are seeing, when none of it is official.

And I don't know how to do the other stuff. It's hard to actually dig for legit stuff with no background knowledge. Mod DB sounds progressive... like I could actually build a team or something.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Actually the non-ModDB route is easier because ModDB doesn't see itself as "data dump". Just look for a file host (google is your friend). Make an account there and simply upload files. As long as you give nobody the URL nobody can access it. I really would suggest the file host way than ModDB except of course for released material (like the mod).

EDIT: With file host I don't mean temporary ones like Megaupload and all these guys. You'll see which one are suitable as they state clearly files are never deleted. ModDB can remove files if they violate the site rules and this includes "unrelated files". If this applies to your stuff I don't know but there is the chance it produces more work than it's worth it.
Last edited by Dragon on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I occationally use MediaFire. That seems pretty good. :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Hey Nevos!

You can add me aswell, here's my ModDB profile: http://www.moddb.com/members/danjun

but as far as I can see.. I think you just want to backup your data, am I right? So.. use Dropbox, it's a cool software. You just copy stuff onto it and go to another computer, download Dropbox and login with the same account you made.. and wala! You have all your files back. (upto 2GB data for free users) You can also invite friends on dropbox and set permissions
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

No autorisation yet. :x I want to see your progress.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Intense for a while wanted ModDB to use its own SVN for developers, something like this would be ideal for the Nev's problem. Shame I doubt it'll ever happen.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Intense for a while wanted ModDB to use its own SVN for developers, something like this would be ideal for the Nev's problem. Shame I doubt it'll ever happen.
SVN is for code and uploading large binary data to it would fill server up rapidly (he's looking especially for media backup if I'm not mistaken?).
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

omgaddmeNevos :evil:
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

lol why? All it is is a zip file with all of my crap on it. The group was authorized so now I'm able to do what I wanted, but my mod page has not been authorized, even though there are screen shots and stuff to appease the moddb ppl/

-edit- here's a preview of this stupid door thing I'm working on as a club entrance. Fire hazard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5TI8VgH ... ideo_title