Two major questions

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
FastGamerr
MJ12

Two major questions

Post by FastGamerr »

Greetings again, fellas!

I've got two major(ish) issues that I'm hoping to get fixed or mostly fixed before moving on with the project (seeing as I recently got the student edition of 3Ds max, maybe I can mess around in that somehow for further neatness).

How to import models in a way that they won't disappear from certain angles in the game? Aker advised me to have the center of the model visible (as in, not stuck in the black vastness?) but that doesn't seem to help... and might have even made some things worse. Kind of disappointing to go from "man, some of this archi disappears due to a BSP hole, no problem, I'll fix it with a model!" to "Yay, it looks gr- oh, it disappears from certain angles... man that seems familiar". :P

This I actually haven't tried since 2005 but I'm suspecting it should still be as tricky. How to import loopable sounds in DX? There's always a tiny tiny gap before the sound starts looping - even though the wav looks perfectly in any audio editor. Any clues?

Cheers!
Last edited by FastGamerr on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Two major questions (models and sounds)

Post by DDL »

Are you using widescreen settings? I ask because in my experience the mesh "render culling" seems to assume that the edges of your widescreen are 'out of view', leading to meshes vanishing slightly before they should, which is not so much a problem with things like medkits etc, but if you're using meshes to represent a giant server complex or whatever it can be more disruptive.

Overall, the mesh centre should be...well, in the centre, both for rendering and collision purposes. Having said that, I'm not altogether sure how collision properties affect rendering (i.e. would a larger collision cylinder make the engine wait longer before deciding not to render it?).

If so, you might be able to get away with setting your mesh actor to being non-colliding but with a fucking huge collision radius, then adding a blockall in the same place with the right collision settings.

Actually, if this works, please let me know.. :P
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Well, I can't seem to get the game even run in a non-widescreen solution (tried 1024x768, my default's 1920x1080) so I couldn't test it, but I do remember sometimes just facing the model when it's on the center of the screen and the entire model still just blatantly disappearing.

Any clues?

Any clues 'bout the sound issue?
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Not sure about the sound, but maybe post a screenshot of the models in game when they mess up?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus