Need some good tutorials

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Need some good tutorials

Post by PlausibleSarge »

I wish to start modding for Deus Ex (The game is only 11 years old, its never to late to start) but it seems all the tutorial sites are either completely down or most of their articles and links are broken. Googling Deus Ex Modding either only comes up with how to use pre-built graphics mods, or comes up with invalid URLs and pages that redirect to a homepage. Does anyone have any links to some good tutorials that arent completely broken? UnrealEd is a daunting, massive, evil program (although im not really interested in making maps, just modifications)

It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Need some good tutorials

Post by DDL »

"not maps, just modifications" still covers a VAST range of possibilties, from graphics tweaks, to UI recoding to gameplay balances and back again.

Bit more detail, maybe? Also, be warned, it's not a terribly user-friendly modding game.
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

DDL wrote:"not maps, just modifications" still covers a VAST range of possibilties, from graphics tweaks, to UI recoding to gameplay balances and back again.

Bit more detail, maybe? Also, be warned, it's not a terribly user-friendly modding game.
Yeah sorry but I can't really provide much detail because I only have vague ideas and have no idea about what I am actually doing. Something small would suffice - The Deus Ex equivalent of Hello World would be perfect. Something akin to changing the damage of a weapon, or changing some text, or whatever is "easy" (I know thats a VERY relative term). I just need to get past the "okay, now WTF do I do" stage after extracting all the classes from the archives using UnrealEd (or whatever the process is called)

and I have modded C&C Generals. That is probably the least user friendly game (modding wise) that I have ever seen. Wanna change a unit? Expect to be stuck in notepad for the next few hours
DDL

Post by DDL »

notepad is your friend!

Though I'd recommend (for coding) getting WOTgreal, which has syntax highlighting and function helpers and stuff, which is hugely useful.

UnrealScript itself is a sort of bastard version of java with a bit of C++ and a sizeable helping of WTF thrown in.

What's your coding experience? Bear in mind I basically learned everything I know about uscript from scratch, so it's doable with no formal coding knowledge, but it's not fun (and I had patient teachers).

I mean, christ, initially I was flipping bools by going

Code: Select all

If(thing == true)
   thing = false;
else
   thing = true;
instead of

Code: Select all

thing = !thing;
and other equally dumbass things, so you're never going to look as silly as I did.

Anyway, fundamental structure is object oriented, so everything can be arranged in a big family tree: multitools are 'children' of skilledtools, which are children of pickup, which are children of inventory, which are children of actor, etc etc, each subclass inherits all the code from those above it, plus can add more stuff for specificity.

Easist things to change are defaultproperties, which are in the defaultproperties section of each class. These are basically just default values for variables, so changing weapondamage for the pistol is as simple as finding weaponpistol.uc and changing the damage value in defprops.

(then of course you need to recompile. You need to do this every damn time)
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

Well I have a coding experience in c++, java and (lol) PHP

I guess all I can do is jump into the code then.

To put it in the words of Anna Navarre: "I am not going to hold your hand"

It just seems so overwhelming when you extract all the classes, there are folders and folders full of them.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Deusex is where all the important stuff is.

The decos, characters, items, and so on packs are just models and textures, no game code.

Engine, extension etc are native stuff and can't easily be fucked with anyway.

So really it's just the one folder. Though it does have a lot of classes...
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

DDL wrote:Deusex is where all the important stuff is.

The decos, characters, items, and so on packs are just models and textures, no game code.

Engine, extension etc are native stuff and can't easily be fucked with anyway.

So really it's just the one folder. Though it does have a lot of classes...
Thanks alot! This should make finding what to edit much easier