Making hi-res character textures?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
pirpintine
Mole Person

Making hi-res character textures?

Post by pirpintine »

I have browsed the threads but can't find what i need to know on this.

I'm browsing the textures in an extractor now, kinda interested on making more high res verions (i have new vision textures for the world, but i feel the people look a bit out of sorts next to it)
I have never modded ever before, but I am adept at photoshop, and repainting textures for character isnt gonna be a trouble to me at all, BUT i have no idea how to import them to be much larger textures and still work (because i am assuming its not as easy as just replacing them with larger images :P )

so what would i have to do in order for larger textures to work on the character models throughout the game? or is it not that easy?

thanks for your help! :)
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Making hi-res character textures?

Post by ggrotz »

pirpintine wrote: so what would i have to do in order for larger textures to work on the character models throughout the game? or is it not that easy?
I'll say this with the caveat that I've seen screen shots of work other people have done on this and I understand (if/when?) when another revision of HDTP is released that these character models will be part of that. So you might find out that the work you are about to partake has already been done.

That said, anything in the game that is three-dimensional has a mesh file associated with it, that defines the particular shape of these three-dimensions. Anything that sits out in the middle of the DX world has it. Any graphics that are associated with this mesh will be draped over the mesh. A simpler example is the "earth" in the MJ12 lab that I was working on ( viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11070&start=15 ), which is just a sphere, or the soda cans (which I was playing with last night), which is a "rough" cylinder. For the "earth" there are two textures that are squares (256x256 originals). I replaced them in the last screen shot with 1024x1024 files.

The graphic textures that will work with the mesh as defined will be the ones you are extracting. Pay attention to the sizes of the graphics as well as what they are depicting in each section so they drape around the mesh the same way. If you make the graphics bigger than the originals, you need to make them proportionally bigger. For the soda cans, they were 64x32, which means you need to make them some proportion of 2 bigger (128x64 for example). But as long as you do that, the engine will handle things as the mesh dictates and will render whatever it is correctly.

Beyond that, you need to point the mesh to use your new textures instead of the ones that are defined. For that you will need to get into the coding aspect of it as the linked post illustrates. Best given the way the source works for graphics, you'll want to create your own texture file (UTX) with your graphics in it and recompile DeusEx.u with your graphic reference changes.

Hope that helps.