Deus Ex "speed issues" on Windows Vista

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Deus Ex "speed issues" on Windows Vista

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Last night, I decided to re-install Deus Ex on my Windows Vista laptop, hoping that all of the collective advice scattered all over the internet regarding this game's performance on that particular OS would provide some solution to the frequent stuttering and sluggishness that occurs during cutscenes, and the general feeling that one is walking through layers of mud in-game. I've literally tried everything possible -- running the game in Compatibility Mode for both W98 & WinXP, limiting the max. frame rate, alternating between turning off CPU cores, etc. -- and the game still runs the same as when I just tried running it normally.

<_< I'm thoroughly convinced that this particular game installation is somehow jinxed, as I've never had these kinds of issues running Deus Ex on my WinXP computer, which also has a Core 2 Duo CPU. Without listing anything in detail about my laptop's technical specs, is there anything at all that I may have missed or may not yet have done in order to get this game working properly? :-s
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Neveos
X-51

Re: Deus Ex "speed issues" on Windows Vista

Post by Neveos »

I have heard of the problem. Somebody will explain it in better detail, and I don't know how slow it goes, but you might be able to put in the cheat "slomo (some value greater than 1)" in order to increase the game speed. Like if it is moderately slow, just put in slomo 1.5 or something, and see if that helps normalize it. I think the steam version had a forum for steam users which pinned solutions to this topic.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Kentie's Launcher is supposed to fix all that stuff isn't it?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Ok, then.........everything is (or at least, seems to be) fixed now. After I finish this particular game, I'm going to do another clean re-install & see if using just the "Deus Exe" and "Dx Fix" programs are enough to solve the most major of (if not all of) the problems that I was having (as well as making sure to re-enable "Classic Lighting" in order to prevent the random blackouts I began experiencing in the Airfield & Hell's Kitchen). <_<
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The random blackouts were a bug in the older versions of the DirectX10 Renderer. They've been fixed with a newer version found in that link I sent you.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

nerdenstein wrote:The random blackouts were a bug in the older versions of the DirectX10 Renderer. They've been fixed with a newer version found in that link I sent you.
the only thing i dont like about that renderer is the increased opacity of transparent textures
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

Hmm the exe I included in my modern weapons mod should fix some speed issues. I'd still run it in compatibility mode. Though i have no issues on windows 7
Xfing
Thug

Post by Xfing »

I've got the same problem, which is weird, as I didn't always have it. Namely, the game runs at normal speed, but in combat situations (even against 1 dude) it slows down to a halt and skips lots of frames. I mean LOTS. It doesn't run smoothly, it skips stuff and is overall very erratic. It's very hard to play the game like that. I have tried Kentie's launcher, several renderer options and it doesn't seem to solve the problem at all, not even at 640x480. The only thing I think could be fucking up the game is the newest version of Shifter, as that is something I have installed only recently. I'll revert the game to the previous version of Shifter and see if it works, as I haven't tried that yet.

EDIT: It was Shifter, indeed. Reverting it from 1.9.0 to 1.8.4 fixes the problem.