Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

Post by ggrotz »

SilverSpook wrote:I've recently received a sudden but not unwelcome influx of offers to help with development of additional levels and other content for Terminus Machina.
Great news, there!
SilverSpook wrote:I'm not sure where exactly, I'll have to go and double check to see if the chips are giving recipes correctly.
Did you ever figure out where the EMP rifle recipe is? Been all over the level and still haven't located it. Tried what was spoilered above, too, and didn't have any luck.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Did you ever figure out where the EMP rifle recipe is? Been all over the level and still haven't located it. Tried what was spoilered above, too, and didn't have any luck.
Oh, my bad. You need the plasmonic capacitor, not the ultracapacitor.

I might have to go and add the gram chip in the game.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Well, we're up to one pretty good lucking anti-drone laser model and reaching a dozen bleaked-up Hong Kong textures. Off to a good start!
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

So I have some additional developers coming on board and they need to be able to open Terminus levels in Unreal Ed.

On my computer, I've got my TM related files in the DeusEx/Textures DeusEx/System folders. Then once I want to distribute the mod, I move all the TM files into DeusEx/Terminus/Textures DeusEx/Terminus/System etc..

Is there a way to get everything to compile properly and open in UnrealEd properly if your files are all inside of your custom mod folder?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

First of all, all required packages needs to be in the EditPackages in DeusEx.ini, so that UnrealED knows what to load. From what I recall it *might* load if you have the files in various directories and then have the paths set up correctly. The compiler, UCC, however does not like this and will refuse to operate correctly if you have .u files needed when compiling a package. At least if you had two packages overriding each other (for instance I had a path to Shifter\*.u but the compiler refused to find this and compiled using the vanilla DeusEx.u that was in the main system folder, and ofc that didn't work).
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Hey guys, long time no post! Sorry to bump this old thread but I have recently got involved with a project that involves attempting to produce a game that gets all the things that Deus Ex 1 got right (degree of player agency, myriad interacting systems producing a wide variety of emergent gameplay, cyberpunk atmosphere, amazing story telling, etc..) but with an original world and story, as a stand alone game, not a mod. As per that new endeavor, I've been revisiting Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, the mods like TNM, DXN, and of course Terminus Machina as well, to see what made all of this really tick, and get a feel for what a completely new commercial indie immersive sim game similar to DX1 would be like, in 2017.

So first off, I've finally got around to adding Terminus Machina to the Nexus Mods site. It's basically just the latest version (2.0) of Terminus Machina, but I've heard from several folks, both on the Deus Ex Forum and on social media saying, "I wish there was some new content for Deus Ex" or "I can't find any good mods", and I later discovered they weren't really checking Moddb for some reason.

Secondly, I do a livestream where I do live game dev among other things every Saturday on my Youtube channel. I was considering doing a sort of 'Developer Plays' Terminus Machina with commentary, the way Warren Spector and a few of the leads played through DX shortly before the release of Human Revolution. I haven't decided one way or the other as I'm trying to gauge if there would be any interest in that at this point. I figure there might be someone on these forums who'd be interested in something like that, even if not in staying for the whole live event. If someone from TNM, or any of the other old school DX modders would like to come on briefly and talk a little about their mods, the state of DX, games like it, etc. that might also be cool.

I'm also of course trying to sell as many copies of that cyberpunk adventure game that I made over the last few years in hopes it will help secure funds for this larger, 3D Deus Ex-like immersive sim. It has been insane to release a game to Steam in 2017 with 6,000 games coming out this year, and it has been a bitch to do the marketing as a one-person team, but thankfully that has paid off somewhat and Silver Spook Games is at least viable for the moment.

Finally, I've been doing a podcast every week or so, again to try to connect with the community. I mostly feature cyberpunk/sci-fi creators, writers, game devs, etc.. One of the recent guests, James Dearden, creator of Technobabylon, is also a huge fan of Deus Ex, and we spend a good 30 minutes geeking out over DX in this episode.

Anyway, thanks again everyone at OTP for all of your help getting Terminus Machina realized, and do let me know what you think!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SilverSpook wrote:Hey guys, long time no post! Sorry to bump this old thread but I have recently got involved with a project that involves attempting to produce a game that gets all the things that Deus Ex 1 got right (degree of player agency, myriad interacting systems producing a wide variety of emergent gameplay, cyberpunk atmosphere, amazing story telling, etc..) but with an original world and story, as a stand alone game, not a mod. As per that new endeavor, I've been revisiting Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, the mods like TNM, DXN, and of course Terminus Machina as well, to see what made all of this really tick, and get a feel for what a completely new commercial indie immersive sim game similar to DX1 would be like, in 2017.
Sounds awesome, good luck. You got a website or something, or are you still unannounced?
So first off, I've finally got around to adding Terminus Machina to the Nexus Mods site. It's basically just the latest version (2.0) of Terminus Machina, but I've heard from several folks, both on the Deus Ex Forum and on social media saying, "I wish there was some new content for Deus Ex" or "I can't find any good mods", and I later discovered they weren't really checking Moddb for some reason.
Hm, interesting. Maybe we should chuck TNM up on the Nexus one of these days as well...
If someone from TNM, or any of the other old school DX modders would like to come on briefly and talk a little about their mods, the state of DX, games like it, etc. that might also be cool.
I might be up for it, depending on the time :)
Time zones are a bitch.
I'm also of course trying to sell as many copies of that cyberpunk adventure game that I made over the last few years in hopes it will help secure funds for this larger, 3D Deus Ex-like immersive sim. It has been insane to release a game to Steam in 2017 with 6,000 games coming out this year, and it has been a bitch to do the marketing as a one-person team, but thankfully that has paid off somewhat and Silver Spook Games is at least viable for the moment.
Yeah Steam has really gone to shit lately. Glad to hear it's working out for you!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Jonas wrote: Sounds awesome, good luck. You got a website or something, or are you still unannounced?
Currently it's still unannounced and very early days. But I'll be sure to let everyone know when it does go public!
I might be up for it, depending on the time :)
Time zones are a bitch.
Ok, cool! I have been talking to a lot of folks from EU timezones recently, the last guy was in Austria. I generally stream at 10 AM - noon Hawaii time on Saturday, which I believe is about 8 PM UK time. If that is tricky, we might be able to record something at another time.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Some of you guys have probably seen this, but here's that developer playthrough of Terminus Machina!