Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
SilverSpook
MJ12

Re: Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

Post by SilverSpook »

The video capture prog I use is FRAPS http://www.fraps.com/

Thanks! I'll message you in a sec.

What accent do you have/can you do?
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

SilverSpook wrote:The video capture prog I use is FRAPS http://www.fraps.com/

Thanks! I'll message you in a sec.

What accent do you have/can you do?
Almost everything. It's too bad my upload isnt working for you guys, or you'd hear all the voices I've done.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Yeah, too bad, I'd like to hear.

Oh, figure I'd toss this out: anyone want to take a crack at modeling a near-future version of an advanced Predator drone? :D

Guarantee it will be in the next video if I can get one.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Is there a way to get maps to build faster without zoning? My map is all outdoors so it's hard to zone without weird stuff happening to the skybox but it takes forever to see what things look like.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Zoning shouldn't really affect how long a map takes to rebuild (unless you're rebuilding smaller subsets of your map by zone, or something?), since it still needs to cut everything up into planes and allocate BSP tree stuffs and whatevers. Or at least, that was my understanding.

Zoning is more to speed up rendering during play, since it can tell the engine "you don't even need to THINK about rendering all this shit" in one easy check, rather than forcing the engine to do traces to potentially visible polys.

If you just want fast rebuilds, you can use the "rebuild only x" options: I forget how it works in UEd1, but there's usually a 'rebuild all' button, but before that there's rebuild geometry, rebuild lights, etc etc.
It's usually a lot faster to just rebuild geometry, then rebuild lighting, than it is to rebuild all. I think there are optimisation steps it does with rebuild all that give better BSP-cuts and so on, but that take a lot longer to compute. Rebuilding geometry only ignores all this optimisation.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

I tested the broken up zoning for rendering but i dont remember noticing any benefits. I'll try it again and see what happens.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Anybody know how the "Move" and "MoveSmooth" functions work?

I'm trying to get my predator drone-like UAV to fly but it seems like these functions stop working after like 2 seconds? I've got the vector set to (10,0,0) to make them move steadily on the X Axis, and I stuck the Move() function in the tick() of one of my states. and I know they're being called continuously from the log but nothing is happening.

Not using the interpolation points to move the planes because it's tracking the player whose coords are obviously not static.

"SetLocation()" works for my purposes though. Weird.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Is there a way to easily change the brightness on a mesh texture? Like without having to change the texture itself?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Scaleglow?
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

SilverSpook wrote:Anybody know how the "Move" and "MoveSmooth" functions work?

I'm trying to get my predator drone-like UAV to fly but it seems like these functions stop working after like 2 seconds? I've got the vector set to (10,0,0) to make them move steadily on the X Axis, and I stuck the Move() function in the tick() of one of my states. and I know they're being called continuously from the log but nothing is happening.

Not using the interpolation points to move the planes because it's tracking the player whose coords are obviously not static.

"SetLocation()" works for my purposes though. Weird.
Im wondering, how are those drones in TNM coded? Maybe not the exact code but something similar could help.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Having a really weird prob... I'm having spontaneously deleting actors, like I have a class "WirelessOverlay" which are basically WiFi nodes which the player can connect to to get a security/personal/public computer interface. After about 5 minutes of play, these nodes all seem to spontaneously delete, like all of them at once. I did a "Editactor class=" check and there were none of these things after the sudden deletion occurs. They were initially subclasses of the Trigger class and I tried changing them to sub of Actor, that didn't seem to do anything. I don't see any "delete" code happening anywhere. It seems to be pretty random, I can't pinpoint an event which is causing this. Has anyone ever had this problem of spontaneous dissapearance??
DDL

Post by DDL »

Could you post the code? (Or PM it if you're worried about spoilers). It could be any number of things.

Alternatively, why not make them subclasses of something you know to be stable, like decoration?
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Actually I don't think the problem is the parent class as the same problem happens no matter what it's the subclass of. Must be coming from somewhere else in the game, like the HUD which accesses them or something.
DDL

Post by DDL »

So how are you accessing them? Are they acting like computer UI windows? Because those get destroyed when you close them, for instance.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

No, there is a separate computer like a computersecurity or a computerpersonal that they provide wireless access to. They don't do very much beside switch on and off and broadcast their location basically. The HUD checks out where they are and draws appropriate overlays in your minimap