HD Item Textures - Need help implementing them!

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Venom3
Thug

HD Item Textures - Need help implementing them!

Post by Venom3 »

Hello!

I'm creating some HD Textures for some items. Right now I'm just updating the ammo-pickups. I made some screenshots:

Image Image Image

But as the title says - I need some help implementing them into the game.

I had to add the texture from the textures-browser into the MultiSkins-Section in the object properties to show up. This was only useful by showing you the old and the new texture. But if I'm finished I want to publish this texture pack. I need to replace the old textures. But how do I do that? There's no DeusExItems.utx in the Textures folder, it's because they are compiled in the .u files.

In the HDTP for example they were able to do that. They just replaced the old DX model with the ones they did.

Could anyone tell me what I need to do to achieve this?

( And yes, suggestions and opinions to the textures itself are also welcome :P )
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: HD Item Textures - Need help implementing them!

Post by DDL »

That's...tricky, actually.

We've done it via recoding deusex.u, so that the model and texture references for the ammo classes now point to our HDTP packages rather than the originals. This is non-optimal, but really the only option guaranteed to not cause problems. Well, no: to only cause predictable problems.

One predictable problem with this is that it means that any other mods that recode deusex.u (and a fair few of them do) will not be compatible with HDTP. Shifter works because yuki recodes it to reference our packages (if present), because he is clever. I'm not gonna lie though: doing that probably took slightly more than a minor amount of tweaking.

Of course the other way to do it would be to rebuild deusexitems, but for that you'd need access to the meshes, at least in a recompilable form: I'm not sure if any of the exporters currently do this. If they do, then that works too.

Anyway, if you go for the former method, simply compile all your textures into a package, then open the relevant ammo.uc classes in deusex/classes (if you haven't decompiled deusex.u, then you'll need to do this) and add this line to the defprops of each ammo:

Skin=texture'mypackage.mytexture'

or

skin=texture'mypackage.mytexturegroup.mytexture' //(texture group doesn't actually seem to be necessary)

where mypackage is the name of your package, and mytexture is the relevant ammo texture.

Then rename deusex.u (so you always have the original as a backup) and run ucc.exe: it'll ask at the end if you want to rebuild headers. I always say no, whereupon it crashes: this is normal. You should now have a deusex.u that references your ammo textures instead of the originals! :)