Save game rooms

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
miguel
UNATCO

Save game rooms

Post by miguel »

Just asking how to disable save with mission script and use another map as a save room. This could make the gameplay really intense.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Re: Save game rooms

Post by SilverSpook »

Ah, brilliant idea! I always get caught up saving and reloading everytime I make one little booboo -- a single alerted guard, a missed item -- like a crazed helicopter parent making sure their child gets 100% on everything. This should make the play more realistic.

I'll look into it.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

You could stick a variable in your maps like "bCanSave" and then make a modification to "MenuMain.uc" to disable the savegame if "bCanSave" is false on the current map. You'd do this probably in the UpdateButtonStatus() function:

Code: Select all

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------
// UpdateButtonStatus()
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------

function UpdateButtonStatus()
{
	local DeusExLevelInfo info;

info = player.GetLevelInfo();

// Disable the "Save Game" and "Back to Game" menu choices
	// if the player's dead or we're on the logo map.
	//
	// Also don't allow the user to save if a DataLink is playing

// Don't disable in mp if dead.

if (((info != None) && (info.MissionNumber < 0)) || 
	   ((player.IsInState('Dying')) || (player.IsInState('Paralyzed')) || (player.IsInState('Interpolating'))))
	{
      if (Player.Level.NetMode == NM_Standalone)
      {
         winButtons[1].SetSensitivity(False);
         winButtons[7].SetSensitivity(False);
      } 
   }

// Disable the "Save Game", "New Game", "Intro", "Training" and "Load Game" menu choices if in multiplayer
   if (player.Level.Netmode != NM_Standalone)
   {
      winButtons[0].SetSensitivity(False);
      winButtons[2].SetSensitivity(False);
      winButtons[4].SetSensitivity(False);
      winButtons[5].SetSensitivity(False);
   }

// Don't allow saving if a datalink is playing
	if (player.dataLinkPlay != None)

// DEUS_EX_DEMO - Uncomment when building demo
	//
	// Disable the "Play Intro" button for the demo
//	winButtons[5].SetSensitivity(False);
}
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

Thanks for the help. This is really useful.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

This is something I have had ideas for a long time but never came to anything, but I was wondering if this could be done this way, never got it to work as my coding skills suck:

Log into a computer with the right login details (doesn't work if you hack) and your teleported to a map by pressing a special option "Go to store room" or something (which in this map you can save here and pickup or store items) and then press a button to exit said map and return to where you where before you teleported to the map. Wanted to use teleporters so that unlike a map exit, the map is kept the same so that no matter how many times you enter and exit the map, your items and whatever is in the map, doesn't change each time you exit and enter the map again.

The hardest part I couldn't figure was say you had a large map with multiple computers around the map that you could use to teleport to this room, how to teleport back using the exit button in the room, to standing beside the same computer you used to enter the map.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

This would be awesome, as long as the save rooms are not too far apart. Remember that there are BS deaths that can happen sometimes, but that is not so much of a problem, what is is the fact that Deus Ex is interaction heavy, so you have to pick everything up again, every time. I recommend combining the save room system with Deus Ex 2.0's map transition autosave.

I may look into this for my mod with the help of a friend.
Whilst you are at it consider disabling cheats (I'm pretty sure this is possible).
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

This is intended for small mission. I don't think it's gonna work for the original game without doing an incredibe effort, like carefully adding The map entrances and connecting them correctly.

Saving from a computer sounds great, it would need a lot of coding knowledge I guess.

My ridiculous idea is this: The ".unr" and ".dx" maps can be linked. If the map is left with .unr instead of .DX extention, it will not allow to save but the map can't have a mission script.
That means no conversation, infolinks, etc... that sucks. The save maps can be used for conversations, instructions and items.
The idea is to leave the .unr map as a basic "action" part with no special events.

I don't know what will happen to opened doors, items or enemies when you enter the .unr map again, or if the save files will get corupted or wathever.
Gonna see if it works when I have some time.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Morpheus wrote:This is something I have had ideas for a long time but never came to anything, but I was wondering if this could be done this way, never got it to work as my coding skills suck:

Log into a computer with the right login details (doesn't work if you hack) and your teleported to a map by pressing a special option "Go to store room" or something (which in this map you can save here and pickup or store items) and then press a button to exit said map and return to where you where before you teleported to the map. Wanted to use teleporters so that unlike a map exit, the map is kept the same so that no matter how many times you enter and exit the map, your items and whatever is in the map, doesn't change each time you exit and enter the map again.

The hardest part I couldn't figure was say you had a large map with multiple computers around the map that you could use to teleport to this room, how to teleport back using the exit button in the room, to standing beside the same computer you used to enter the map.
Wow, only just read this. Cool. However no need for a "save room" (more like store room to stash all your stuff), just save from the computer. However the Computers were not placed in the maps with a saving system in mind in vanilla DX, so unfortunately it would be a bad idea (for DX campaign).

Would definitely work for FMs/TCs though.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Question: Instead of a different map, have you considered just making saving possible only on certain parts of maps? You could place a sort of save marker on the map, or add a flag to zone info, and only enable saving if the player is, say, within a certain distance of one.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Don't know if you were directing that at me, but I have. I'll probably get some save game triggers made if possible, disable all manual saving then place them at thought-out spots in the maps marked by placed bright red lights or something. Of course it will be a slight immersion killer, but no more so than bringing up the in-game menu, clicking on save game etc anyway. Plus it's an optional mode.

Or maybe your zones idea would be better, as saving in separate slots is a must really. Well then again the Triggers can just enable manual saving whilst the player is in it's radius. Yes, makes sense.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

I don't know what is being discussed, but I thought I might throw in that I use small maps of a dark "shaft" with a teleporter at the bottom that causes the player to "fall" for a split second triggering different triggers (like setting flags and credits and inventory) since I don't know how to code anything. The player just sees a quick loading screen- never knowing he entered an extra map..

Dunno if that gives any ideas.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Couldn't you run all those off a single trigger, though?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Yeah, I can't say I really understand the purpose of that. Besides, won't the player notice the duplicating loading/saving messages?
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

DDL wrote:Couldn't you run all those off a single trigger, though?
Oh no it's because certain triggers like actor destroy trigger have to be collided with. I also don't want the player to start the level and look at his inventory to see the credits when he is supposed to be broke, only to become broke when he takes his first step.

It loads so fast that you can't really tell it happened- plus it's pitch black.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Neveos wrote:Oh no it's because certain triggers like actor destroy trigger have to be collided with. I also don't want the player to start the level and look at his inventory to see the credits when he is supposed to be broke, only to become broke when he takes his first step.
Which class is the "actor destroy trigger"? Pretty much all triggers should be capable of, well, being triggered in the usual sense.

Also, if you absolutely need something to happen prior to the map being loaded, is there a problem with putting it into the PreTravel() function of the last map's mission script?