Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Deus Ex: Nihilum [Post-Release Issues] [SPOILERS]

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Actually that crash is probably due to duplicate movers. FastGamerr, check the offending map in UnrealEd 2, search for BreakableWall and DeusExMover as the name, and see if there are any two walls or movers that has exactly the same name. If so, then remove one of them. Thing is that I think that all movers are in a linked list and when the MakeGroupStop function is called it runs through the list and stops all movers. If there are two with the same name that mover's NextMover variable points back to itself and thus you get an infinite recursion issue.
This is likely it. I discovered the same bug will happen if you start lobbing HE20 (or pepper spray) around the barracks part of that map.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Any clues on where all the augmentations / aug upgrades are?

Can't really track them all, but the regular augs, there's 2 in Feng's storage area, 2 on the plane, 2 in the XVA laboratories, 2 in the Queen Streets map (found them in a loading dock type area, haven't figured out how to get through that door without cheating), 2 in the Cutter Estate, 1 in Stafford's place...any more or is that it?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Well, at the moment I can't actually remember any others.

And by the NYC augmentation canister are you refering to the one in the storage unit with the LAMs, LAWs, boxes and BSP errors? The keycode to that door is actually hidden in the Cutter Estate under some trash cans. ... Yeah, I luv'd me some backtracking. ;)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:Well, at the moment I can't actually remember any others.

And by the NYC augmentation canister are you refering to the one in the storage unit with the LAMs, LAWs, boxes and BSP errors? The keycode to that door is actually hidden in the Cutter Estate under some trash cans. ... Yeah, I luv'd me some backtracking. ;)
Yeah that would explain why I didn't find a code. I haven't tried to pick apart that level yet.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

For those that don't know, a new version of this mod was released in February 2018, including a couple of new mission packs/DLCs.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum/news/release-dxn

Re-reading this pretty much confirmed my reviews on here to me as I'm wandering all over the place (again) trying to figure out what to do with the 3rd map.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

ggrotz wrote:I'm wandering all over the place (again) trying to figure out what to do with the 3rd map.
Tell me more.

I've still got UED and everything installed, so I can (theoretically) still adjust the gameplay to something that makes more sense. [EDIT: As far as the DLC is concerned, check my post below]
Last edited by FastGamerr on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: Tell me more.
On anything that gets too confusing direction-wise, I tend to rehearse and set out a procedure on what to do to pass the map and I have to do that with the Kowloon Streets map. With the new version, a couple of elements were different than the original version, making it so I couldn't do all the things I was used to doing. Specifically, I was looking for the ambrosia that was in the cafe and not finding it to give to the guy offering the key and finally figured out via a walkthrough vid that it wasn't there anymore. Overall, I wasn't getting into the Underground area so I could fix the greasel fight. I found an alternative way via a key to the Garage doors behind a lock-picked door. I'm onto Yumashev now.

BTW I loaded the new content and played through that before I started the main game. Was more or less pretty good stuff...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Thanks. Even though I did make a lot of egregious item changes in the main mod, I still didn't (and won't) touch the gameplay that much because in 2018 I'd do a lot of things differently than I did in 2010-2013 (in fact, the DLCs are a lot about how I'd have made DXN in 2017-2018 (2015 for most of the Training DLC)). In other words, DXN was the story I wanted to tell in 2010-2013 - and I'm glad that I did - so I didn't want to go around changing the original mod too much. Still, that extra vial of ambrosia and most of the lockpicks had to go!

(There's also the fact that a lot of DXN's content exists because - in addition to my own levels - I wanted to use as much unreleased UNATCO Born content as possible)

So Kowloon will remain a mess and quite the memorial for "nice going, FGR!".
Last edited by FastGamerr on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote: So Kowloon will remain a mess and quite the memorial for "nice going, FGR!".
FWIW, I think you can tell in every mod that there was a "learning curve" map or two. ZODIAC's 2nd and 3rd map being a great example, you can tell he got a lot better towards the end of that mod.

Other than that, the "DLC" sequences illustrate something I've been saying on here for several years. It seems every mod project tries to be big (10-11 hours of gameplay), but they fall in under their own weight. If more developers shot for stuff that'd take 30 minutes to an hour to play through and just polished that so it played well, we'd have a *whole* lot more good content to play with than we do now. For sure.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

That's one of the main reasons why I'm not gonna make a project in the full DXN scale again (the other main reason being that I really have no free time for anything like that). Would love if the community kept on producing more new (succinct and solid) DX SP campaigns in the vein of Ritter Park and the like, though.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

The staircase control on the Tianbao hotel level isn't working correctly (last terminal Grail/Carpenter). I notice the other 3 terminals in the old version got removed. Am I missing something else I need to do?

Also had a crash. Not sure how relevant it is to DXN so thought I'd post it.
FastGamerr wrote:That's one of the main reasons why I'm not gonna make a project in the full DXN scale again
Yeah you'll find me talk about it at length on here in a post somewhere as a trained IT project manager type. To summarize, this really applies to any IT project as much as gaming. If you don't tightly constrain what you do, a project has a way of ballooning out of control (it's called "scope creep") and never ends up getting done as a result. I noted that I see signs of it in about every DX mod ever produced. Like I posted then about DX mods, one would have to write a very specific story line and then develop all the other assets to benefit it in a very tight way to it in order to really succeed at producing a mod without it taking super long or failing under the weight of the requirements.

I also noted in one of my own projects I released that I've noticed it's super-easy to underestimate the time it takes to do most computer projects, either of experience or forgetting/not realizing a requirement and having to redo a whole bunch of stuff. For what I released, I thought it'd be pretty simple going into it, but it turned into 6 months and about 5000 lines of code. I started working on a form control recently and that's already turned into a week and still nowhere done with it - already farther than what I thought it'd be. But better to polish it well for what I want it for than to go half-ass.
Attachments
Yuanda Zhu level.
Yuanda Zhu level.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Hmm, according to the error it might be Datacube related... did you by chance check any of the encrypted datacubes in that level? (If I get around to making a new DXN patch I might consider turning them into regular datacubes)

For the terminal, did you activate the switch next to the staircase pool/pit?
a project has a way of ballooning out of control (it's called "scope creep") and never ends up getting done as a result. I noted that I see signs of it in about every DX mod ever produced. Like I posted then about DX mods, one would have to write a very specific story line and then develop all the other assets to benefit it in a very tight way to it in order to really succeed at producing a mod without it taking super long or failing under the weight of the requirements.
Reminds me of the early 2000s with every "Duke Nukem: Source" type project that posted tons of weapon renders and concept art and didn't even get as far as a stable alpha release.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

FastGamerr wrote:Hmm, according to the error it might be Datacube related... did you by chance check any of the encrypted datacubes in that level?
I can wander the level some more and see if I can duplicate it.
FastGamerr wrote: For the terminal, did you activate the switch next to the staircase pool/pit?
Didn't notice it. I've continued now...
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

ggrotz wrote:I can wander the level some more and see if I can duplicate it.
It does seem like one of those "random" crashes. For example, in the Kowloon Streets level the game might crash due to a similar error near the elevator to the Red Arrow hideout, but usually reloading the game and going to the same area doesn't trigger the crash again...

Reminds me of how in main DX itself the game crashes at times in front of the Queens Tower hotel due to some sound error (you can hear the sounds slowing down and echoing before the crash - usually you have to talk to one of the NPCs in the area to trigger it).
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Bug: "7.62x51mm B-STOCK" provides "You already have enough of this type of ammo" message during all ammo situations. I gather from the paratrooper gun that this is supposed to be the standard rifle ammo instead of the enhanced stuff from before? If that's the case, the message comes even if I have no ammo at all.