Deus Ex map patch!!

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Deus Ex map patch!!

Post by DDL »

Interesting. In my version of DX, at least (GOTY, patched to 1112fm or whatever), fordschickrescued is set to expire in mission9, which should do it, though it clearly doesn't (since I've never seen him in 08_NYC_Smug). Is it set multiple times?

....Edit: ah. Shit, there you go. Yes, if you actually drag ford all the way to the flagtrigger, it sets "rescued", expire in next mission (via flagtrigger), whereas the missionscript is set to set it expire in mission 9 if he's 'following', but as far as I can tell MS_fordFollowing doesn't get set, so this flagcheck never happens.

DX coding am gud
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Starting to finish up work on this now. If anybody's noticed anything recently that should be fixed, let me know!

EDIT: Anyone know where the supposed BSP problem in 06 Helibase is?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Off the top of my head after working on these recently:

May or may not be GOTY related but I was working on top of the other unofficial Deus Ex Map Patch so all worth a look. Noted a couple of minor things too in case you are as obsessive as I am about it :smile:

02_NYC_Underground:

-Increasing the move time of the doors that are on Ford Schick's path makes his journey back more believable - he doesn't run into doors.
-Datacube in the water by door (directly under turret) via the entrance with all the lasers. This datacube is impossible to spot in-game.
-MJ12 Troop on cistern walkway (not the one on the bridge or in the room) Likes to jump to his death in combat.
Potential fixes are:
i) Home Base with a radius of 16 or 32 Units & bDefendHome=true.
ii) New brush on the walkway that is > than MaxStepheight so doesn't attempt to pathfind somewhere silly.
iii) move pawn to another location. His orders are standing iirc so you don't need to worry about patrol routes.

Area51_Bunker:

Mover inside storage shack located immediately behind the player start needs it's final keyframe [1] moved by 1 unit as it causes z-fighting.
Large Fan where page taunts you ("Jump!") needs it's damage threshold set higher as it's silly it can be destroyed in 1 sniper shot.

Area51_Final:

-Shoddy pathfinding in the reactor room and first large room. large room requires new brushes up on the walkways between the handrails so troops don't try to pathfind to the ground floor. Reactor room just requires precise rearrangement of pathnodes so Gray's can climb the stairs properly. Also consider toning down the reactor lights fog radius as it chokes the engine a little.
-After talking to Helios Datalink trigger is enabled to trigger transmission and release bots to help you fight newly-spawned commandos. The Datalink trigger needs it's collision radius increased so if the player decides to take the shortcut down (jumping and getting goodies from mechanics's corpse) the transmission still plays (needs confirmation that this info is all correct but it should be).
-Helios animating texture (Area51 green animated tex) doesn't match the one used in helios ending scene.

Area51_Entrance:

-Same Pathfinding problem as Final. By the locked door (requires key found in Rec, has 90% LockStrength) that leads to the elevator is two MJ12 Troops in a raised position. In between the handrails brushes are needed or a homebase or rearrangement of nodes as the troops attempt to pathfind through the handrails ad infinitum and pose no threat, as well as looking ridiculous. Other than that this map is bug/error free if I remember correctly.

Area51_Page:

-First security console in the map you come across (Gray chamber) password/username doesn't match the one given in the nearby cube.
-Sole MJ12 Commando in the map alliance= None. Fights with other troopers. Needs to be "MJ12".

Thought I'd document these before they are forgotten. The only one I am unsure of is The helios datalink trigger but definitely worth checking.
DDL wrote: ....Edit: ah. Shit, there you go. Yes, if you actually drag ford all the way to the flagtrigger, it sets "rescued", expire in next mission (via flagtrigger), whereas the missionscript is set to set it expire in mission 9 if he's 'following', but as far as I can tell MS_fordFollowing doesn't get set, so this flagcheck never happens.
Ah, I attempted to fix this the other day but could not pin-point the problem.

Code: Select all

else if (localURL == "02_NYC_UNDERGROUND")
	{
		// if you leave the level with Ford Schick, set a flag
		if (flags.GetBool('MS_FordFollowing') &&
			!flags.GetBool('FordSchick_Dead'))
		{
			flags.SetBool('FordSchickRescued', True,, 9);
		}
	} 
OK, so looked in the map. The other flag trigger when Schick is rescued is 'FordSchickRescueDone'.
So if I am correct the options to fix are to check the flag 'FordSchickRescueDone' instead of 'FordFollowing' via mission script OR change the flag 'FordSchickRescueDone' in the map to 'FordFollowing', but that is risky as 'FordSchickRescueDone' may be used elsewhere (though I doubt it is). Can I get confirmation on this.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig: I'll work through your suggestions first and comment on them as I do them.
Cybernetic pig wrote:02_NYC_Underground:

-Increasing the move time of the doors that are on Ford Schick's path makes his journey back more believable - he doesn't run into doors.
Eh, I'd probably have to speed them up quite a bit, and those doors moving faster than the ones in the rest of the game might come off as a bit weird. I'm going to leave this one as-is.
-Datacube in the water by door (directly under turret) via the entrance with all the lasers. This datacube is impossible to spot in-game.
Not sure what to do about this. It's obviously supposed to be difficult to spot (it gives you the same keycode as the datacube near the dead NSF and MJ12 trooper nearby, but is in a safer place), but is perhaps a bit too difficult to see since the water there isn't translucent. However, making the water translucent makes it too easy. I'm not sure there's a good alternative here.
-MJ12 Troop on cistern walkway (not the one on the bridge or in the room) Likes to jump to his death in combat.
Potential fixes are:
i) Home Tag with a radius of 16 or 32 Units.
ii) New brush on the walkway that is > than MaxStepheight so doesn't attempt to pathfind somewhere silly.
iii) move pawn to another location or delete.
Fixed. I'm not sure what you mean about the home tag, but I just added some perimeter walls on the top of the chamber as well as the end of the little walkway leading to the secret lab. I tried to make it look natural, although my mapping skills are not very good and it took me far longer than it should have.
Area51_Bunker:

Mover inside storage shack located immediately behind the player start needs it's final keyframe [01] moved by 1 unit as it causes z-fighting.
Fixed. You mean that thing where it sits exactly flush with the wall, so the game can't quite decide which surface it should be showing? Yeah, that's pretty weird. Fixing both of those doors so that their "open" keyframe juts out from the wall surface a bit.
Large Fan where page taunts you ("Jump!") needs it's damage threshold set higher as it's silly it can be destroyed in 1 sniper shot.
Fixed. Never mind snipers, it didn't have a minDamageThreshold at all. In other words, you can theoretically baton it to death.

I've given it a minDamageThreshold of 30, which is the same as the big fan in the naval yard.
Area51_Final:

-Shoddy pathfinding in the reactor room and first large room. large room requires new brushes up on the walkways between the handrails so troops don't try to pathfind to the ground floor.
I'm not sure what you mean. What's wrong with the troops trying to pathfind to the ground floor? Do they just fail miserably when they try, or something?
Reactor room just requires precise rearrangement of pathnodes so Gray's can climb the stairs properly.
The greys are climbing up and down the stairs just fine for me.
Also consider toning down the reactor lights fog radius as it chokes the engine a little.
Hrm, I've never noticed it being that bad. The thing is, the fog itself is a property of the zone, not the lights, but there are also a lot of lights there and some of them have effects applied to them, which can bog things down a bit I guess. I'll consider it, but I don't know if I trust myself to simplify it much without making it look worse.
-After talking to Helios Datalink trigger is enabled to trigger transmission and release bots to help you fight newly-spawned commandos. The Datalink trigger needs it's collision radius increased so if the player decides to take the shortcut down (jumping and getting goodies from mechanics's corpse) the transmission still plays (needs confirmation).
Fixed. I placed a duplicate trigger at the bottom elevator stop, that way you'll hear if there if you don't on the way down.

I've also fixed a typo where a skill award trigger said "Critical Loctaion Bonus" (sic).
-Helios animating texture (Area51 green animated tex) doesn't match the one used in helios ending scene.
How so? Looks like the same textures to me.
Area51_Entrance:

-Same Pathfinding problem as Final. By the locked door (requires key found in Rec, has 90% LockStrength) that leads to the elevator is two MJ12 Troops in a raised position. In between the handrails brushes are needed as the troops attempt to pathfind through the handrails ad infinitum and pose no threat, as well as looking ridiculous. Other than that this map is bug/error free if I remember correctly.
Do you mean those two MJ12 troopers in front of the Sector 3 access door, in the same room as an MJ12 Commando and another MJ12 trooper with a sniper rifle on top of a cherry-picker type machine? They're shooting at me just fine here, and can also pathfind down the stairs okay.
Area51_Page:

-First security console (Gray chamber) password doesn't match the one given in the nearby cube.
Works for me. Username is "lab 12" and password is "graytest".
-Sole MJ12 Commando alliance= None. Fights with other troopers. Needs to be "MJ12".
Fixed. Set his alliance to that of the other troopers.

Out of curiosity, which mods, if any, are you using here? We seem to have different experiences and that might be why.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: Not sure what to do about this. It's obviously supposed to be difficult to spot (it gives you the same keycode as the datacube near the dead NSF and MJ12 trooper nearby, but is in a safer place), but is perhaps a bit too difficult to see since the water there isn't translucent. However, making the water translucent makes it too easy. I'm not sure there's a good alternative here.
Move it elsewhere. Seriously, you cannot see it at all. Only way of finding it in-game is lucking-out by running xhair over it and having the highlighting point it out.
Fixed. I'm not sure what you mean about the home tag, but I just added some perimeter walls on the top of the chamber as well as the end of the little walkway leading to the secret lab. I tried to make it look natural, although my mapping skills are not very good and it took me far longer than it should have.
A home base placed at their feet with small radius makes them stand completely still in combat aside from rotation and anims. Made a few edits to my previous post btw - Home base not home tag. Good if you want pawns to camp.
Fixed. Never mind snipers, it didn't have a minDamageThreshold at all. In other words, you can theoretically baton it to death.
30 is still enough for master sniper, plasma rifle, mini xbow dart and certain melee weapons. Got it on 50 or 60 on mine..
How so? Looks like the same textures to me.
Same family of textures but not identical, unless it's just my maps.

Out of curiosity, which mods, if any, are you using here? We seem to have different experiences and that might be why.
No mods...well, there are mods, but maps are fresh and should be taken from the other Deus Ex map patch. I mentioned this also in my edit.
Anyhow, seems the only differences were the pathfinding issues.

The pathfinding issues were: pawn should be going to node A but instead tries to go to node B as it is the closest route to the player but node B is unreachable due to a handrail, so the pawn just runs into the handrail until something intervenes. Depends on the player's location also.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Move it elsewhere. Seriously, you cannot see it at all.
I agree, but I'm not sure there's a good location with equivalent benefits. There's really nowhere to hide it in that part of the map aside from where it already is, or where the other datacube is. Any suggestions?
A home base placed at their feet with small radius makes them stand completely still in combat aside from rotation and anims. Made a few edits to my previous post btw - Home base not home tag. Good if you want pawns to camp.
Eh, it's already been fixed another way, so it's moot now. I'll upload a screenshot later of what I did, so people can tell me whether or not it looks super trashy. I didn't align the textures 100% perfectly, because that's really damn hard to do with thin brick walls, but that's true of a lot of the original texturing on the map anyway, and it's not very noticeable unless you look pretty hard.

... There's also a waist-high wall I made that is off by maybe one map unit (less than an inch in-game), so it overhangs the ledge it's on a bit, but you would probably never notice it and making the brushes for that whole scenario was such a pain in the ass that I really, really, really don't feel like mucking around with it more. If it actually bothers anyone, I'll fix it, but for the time being I'm going to pass it off as shoddy construction by city contractors. :P

Note: Obviously, I'll be making the same changes to the later NYC Underground map(s). I exported the brushes for the two perimeter walls, so it'll be easy enough.
30 is still enough for master sniper, plasma rifle, mini xbow dart and certain melee weapons. Got it on 50 or 60 on mine..
I would agree, but in the vanilla game this is true of a lot of things; a sniper at Master skill level can take out practically anything. I don't think this is a good thing, but the purpose of this map patch is to fix obviously-broken stuff, not to rebalance things. A big decoration like that being able to take damage from a combat knife is pretty bad, in my opinion.
Same family of textures but not identical, unless it's just my maps.
Mind taking a screenshot? They look to be the same textures on mine.
No mods...well, there are mods
Your mods could be very relevant, especially as concerns NPC behavior. Mods can even effectively change the maps themselves, so it's important to know what you're using if I can't reproduce something you see in the game.
The pathfinding issues were: pawn should be going to node A but instead tries to go to node B as it is the closest route to the player but node B is unreachable due to a handrail, so the pawn just runs into the handrail until something intervenes. Depends on the player's location also.
I can't seem to reproduce this. I looked at the Area 51 Entrance map, and the two MJ12 troopers appear to be acting normally. They fire at me from the upper level, and can easily take the stairs down to the lower level and back up when they need to. The path nodes seem fine, and don't have any problematic paths defined, so I'm not sure what the problem would be unless it's related to a mod you're using or is dependent on fairly specific circumstances. If you can give me more details about how to reproduce this (such as what the NPCs were doing at the time, what you were doing, what weapons you all had drawn, etc.), I might be able to look into it further.

Thanks for the reports!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Move it elsewhere. Seriously, you cannot see it at all.
I agree, but I'm not sure there's a good location with equivalent benefits. There's really nowhere to hide it in that part of the map aside from where it already is, or where the other datacube is. Any suggestions?
Inside the sewage treatment plant or the passageway leading up to it (pipes, turret), place it in one of the alcoves there. If the player enters the sewers via the easy route (top) they would have had to multitool 1 of the doors that requires the 2764 code before they find this newly placed cube with the code, which may perhaps be a fair enough trade for taking the easy route.
because that's really damn hard to do with thin brick walls, but that's true of a lot of the original texturing on the map anyway, and it's not very noticeable unless you look pretty hard.
Agreed. Lining up those bricks is annoying.
... There's also a waist-high wall I made that is off by maybe one map unit (less than an inch in-game), so it overhangs the ledge it's on a bit, but you would probably never notice it and making the brushes for that whole scenario was such a pain in the ass that I really, really, really don't feel like mucking around with it more. If it actually bothers anyone, I'll fix it, but for the time being I'm going to pass it off as shoddy construction by city contractors. :P
Haha :smile: Yeah brushes are really annoying at first, especially with the editors quirks, but building becomes fun after some practice.
I would agree, but in the vanilla game this is true of a lot of things; a sniper at Master skill level can take out practically anything. I don't think this is a good thing, but the purpose of this map patch is to fix obviously-broken stuff, not to rebalance things. A big decoration like that being able to take damage from a combat knife is pretty bad, in my opinion.
Fair enough. GMDX modifies a ton of movers, I forgot how great a lockpick the sniper was vanilla.
Mind taking a screenshot? They look to be the same textures on mine.
Will edit this post later with the shot.
Your mods could be very relevant, especially as concerns NPC behavior. Mods can even effectively change the maps themselves, so it's important to know what you're using if I can't reproduce something you see in the game.
Nope it's the maps themselves and GMDX is not responsible, as I am responsible for every single change ever in it. Built on top of HDTP which wouldn't be responsible either.
I can't seem to reproduce this. I looked at the Area 51 Entrance map, and the two MJ12 troopers appear to be acting normally. They fire at me from the upper level, and can easily take the stairs down to the lower level and back up when they need to. The path nodes seem fine, and don't have any problematic paths defined, so I'm not sure what the problem would be unless it's related to a mod you're using or is dependent on fairly specific circumstances. If you can give me more details about how to reproduce this (such as what the NPCs were doing at the time, what you were doing, what weapons you all had drawn, etc.), I might be able to look into it further.
I cannot provide evidence as it is fixed now, but when entering from the large tunnel that is closest to the sniper, staying in that tunnel and alerting them to your position is how it happened.
Area51_Final it happened more often - first story walkway, up on this walkway go over towards the reactor entrance and then alert AI. The pawn patrolling on the small walkway above here had the handrail issues as well. Hmm, perhaps I'll load up a vanilla map and try to replicate.
Thanks for the reports!
Returning the favour. You helped me a ton when I first turned up here and also my mod features snippets of your code :smile:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

@G-Flex: Can you please respond to my questions regarding the Ford Schick bug (it's in my edit also).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Regarding Ford Schick, yeah, I've already fixed the FordShickRescued FlagTrigger to expire at mission 9 instead.

I've also fixed a couple minor texture alignment issues in that level.

I'm just going to leave the datacube alone for now, because even though I don't like where it is now, it seems like it's there on purpose... and if it is, that seems like something that shouldn't be done in a patch. I'm open to persuasion, though, and will probably change it in my mod.
Nope it's the maps themselves and GMDX is not responsible, as I am responsible for every single change ever in it. Built on top of HDTP which wouldn't be responsible either.
I thought your mod changed enemy behavior in some ways, which could (but may not) account for some of the stuff you're seeing. It's hard to rule it out categorically, at least.
Area51_Final it happened more often - first story walkway, up on this walkway go over towards the reactor entrance and then alert AI. The pawn patrolling on the small walkway above here had the handrail issues as well. Hmm, perhaps I'll load up a vanilla map and try to replicate.
Hrm, whether I'm on the walkway or not (the walkway with the two guards in the big room with the dead mechanic, karkians, and spiderbots), the guards have no trouble shooting me or, if they run out of ammo, chasing me down to knife me. I'm not really sure what you're experiencing. When the guards on the walkways need to pathfind to me downstairs, they take the stairs down as they should.

The sniper on the little platform does freak out if he tries to path to you (for instance, if he's out of ammo and using his knife), but only because no path exists at all.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm a little peeved.

I placed that perimeter wall around the cistern in the Mission 2 NYC underground lab, then exported the brush, thinking I'd just import it into the Mission 4 and Mission 8 underground lab maps, put them in the right place, and be done with it.

... Yeah, that's not happening. The maps don't actually match each other. The mission 2 version is fine. At least one of the other two versions has the rotating bridge and one of the ladders positioned such that the bridge clips through the ladder platform, and the empty sloped areas on the side are of a different size in one of them. The latter problem is easy since I can just trim or add wall as needed, but the former would require me to rebuild a good chunk of the level to fix, since I'd have to move over the collapsed tunnel, the platform extending from it, and the ladder/platform granting access to it, and I'm not terribly good at modding maps to begin with.

The best I might be able to do for now is just trim the perimeter walls to match the layouts of the different maps, but in at least one case, that means a small chunk of wall will be completely missing, which will be obvious to the player. The other option is getting rid of the damn perimeter walls altogether, but I'd hate to waste all that work.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Regarding Ford Schick, yeah, I've already fixed the FordShickRescued FlagTrigger to expire at mission 9 instead.
Had a look at Human Renovation's code:

//== Make sure the flag duration is set long enough
		if(flags.GetBool('FordSchickRescued'))
Is this the only change you did , so I can just copy paste? :)
I'm just going to leave the datacube alone for now, because even though I don't like where it is now, it seems like it's there on purpose... and if it is, that seems like something that shouldn't be done in a patch. I'm open to persuasion, though, and will probably change it in my mod.
I tried to persuade you...no player is ever going to find that cube. It is only possible to see via xhair highlighting.
I thought your mod changed enemy behavior in some ways, which could (but may not) account for some of the stuff you're seeing. It's hard to rule it out categorically, at least.
Nah, it's behaviour exclusive to those two maps only.
I placed that perimeter wall around the cistern in the Mission 2 NYC underground lab, then exported the brush, thinking I'd just import it into the Mission 4 and Mission 8 underground lab maps, put them in the right place, and be done with it.

... Yeah, that's not happening. The maps don't actually match each other. The mission 2 version is fine. At least one of the other two versions has the rotating bridge and one of the ladders positioned such that the bridge clips through the ladder platform, and the empty sloped areas on the side are of a different size in one of them. The latter problem is easy since I can just trim or add wall as needed, but the former would require me to rebuild a good chunk of the level to fix, since I'd have to move over the collapsed tunnel, the platform extending from it, and the ladder/platform granting access to it, and I'm not terribly good at modding maps to begin with.

The best I might be able to do for now is just trim the perimeter walls to match the layouts of the different maps, but in at least one case, that means a small chunk of wall will be completely missing, which will be obvious to the player. The other option is getting rid of the damn perimeter walls altogether, but I'd hate to waste all that work.
1. Load UED, go into wireframe mode and select all of the brushes.
2. CTRL + C
3. Now, don't close UED, but rather launch UED again and load the map 04 or whatever.
4. CTRL + V
5. The brushes will now be in this map and should have the correct rotation, textures etc, they just need to be moved in place and the map rebuilt.

Bjorn taught it to me, very useful.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
G-Flex wrote:Regarding Ford Schick, yeah, I've already fixed the FordShickRescued FlagTrigger to expire at mission 9 instead.
Had a look at Human Renovation's code:

//== Make sure the flag duration is set long enough
		if(flags.GetBool('FordSchickRescued'))
Is this the only change you did , so I can just copy paste? :)
Yeah, that's the fix I copied over from Shifter or that was originally present in Deus Ex 2.0.

As was said earlier in this thread, though, the main problem with the flag expiration is the erroneous FlagTrigger, which had the wrong expiration, which I've set correctly for my map patch. This way, someone playing vanilla Deus Ex will only have the bug where he doesn't show up in Mission 4, since that requires scripting to solve.
I tried to persuade you...no player is ever going to find that cube. It is only possible to see via xhair highlighting.
Again, I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that changing it might not be appropriate for a patch.
Nah, it's behaviour exclusive to those two maps only.
That may be, but only noticing/finding the behavior in a couple maps doesn't mean it can't be related to a change in overall behavior. If you can replicate this in vanilla Deus Ex, let me know.
1. Load UED, go into wireframe mode and select all of the brushes.
2. CTRL + C
3. Now, don't close UED, but rather launch UED again and load the map 04 or whatever.
4. CTRL + V
5. The brushes will now be in this map and should have the correct rotation, textures etc, they just need to be moved in place and the map rebuilt.

Bjorn taught it to me, very useful.
What about the brushes that are already there in the mission_04 version of the map? It would be great to make those maps all nice and consistent, but when I copy the brushes from Mission_02 over, what do I do with the ones already there that I'm trying to replace?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: As was said earlier in this thread, though, the main problem with the flag expiration is the erroneous FlagTrigger, which had the wrong expiration, which I've set correctly for my map patch.

So, in the map 02 the flag trigger fordSchickrescued with the var Flag Expiration= -1 needs to be set to -9?
What about the brushes that are already there in the mission_04 version of the map? It would be great to make those maps all nice and consistent, but when I copy the brushes from Mission_02 over, what do I do with the ones already there that I'm trying to replace?
Huh? I don't understand exactly what you mean here.

If you made geometry changes to 02, you only need to copy those changes over (the few brushes you added to stop the trooper from jumping to his death) using the above method and there you go, consistency.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:So, in the map 02 the flag trigger fordSchickrescued with the var Flag Expiration= -1 needs to be set to -9?
It needs to be set to 9 (or at least some number higher than 8). I can't quite remember, but I think a value of -1 means it expires in the very next mission.
Huh? I don't understand exactly what you mean here.

If you made geometry changes to 02, you only need to copy those changes over (the few brushes you added to stop the trooper from jumping to his death) using the above method and there you go, consistency.
Oh, you misunderstand the problem, or more likely I explained poorly.

I already have exported brushes representing the changes I made to the M02 version of the map. The problem is that the geometry in the original maps isn't the same across each mission. If you look at the NYC underground maps for missions 2, 4, and 8, you'll see that things line up differently, and some things are different sizes or positioned differently. This makes it impossible to just import the brush representing what I did to the M02 version into the M04 and M08 maps, because they won't line up with the original world geometry. I have no idea how the developers messed that up; maybe they used different versions of the original map as a starting point or something.

EDIT: It may be feasible for me to just fix the problems with the mission 4 and mission 8 versions of the original maps in order to get them to match the mission 2 version (which I am taking to be the "correct" one). The differences are as follows:
  • Mission 4: The gaps in the platform around the central system are offset significantly compared to their Mission 2 counterparts.
  • Mission 8: The lower platform sticking out into the water near the collapsed tunnel is too narrow, and as a result, the ladder going down to it (and its platform) actually wind up overlapping the bridge when it's rotated that way.
These changes are minor enough that I might be able to just fix it myself by copying over brushes and such.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: It needs to be set to 9 (or at least some number higher than 8). I can't quite remember, but I think a value of -1 means it expires in the very next mission.
Thanks. Fixed.
Oh, you misunderstand the problem, or more likely I explained poorly.

I already have exported brushes representing the changes I made to the M02 version of the map. The problem is that the geometry in the original maps isn't the same across each mission. If you look at the NYC underground maps for missions 2, 4, and 8, you'll see that things line up differently, and some things are different sizes or positioned differently.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I worked on those maps for Revision, started with 2 and once completed used it as the base for 4 and 8 so I avoided that problem.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

While a pain in the ass, the changes were actually fairly doable, although I'm wondering if I should redo the perimeter wall entirely just to make the damn thing line up perfectly. I probably will, because what's the point of doing a map patch if the patch has errors?