Deus Ex map patch!!

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex map patch!!

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

G-Flex wrote:Starting to finish up work on this now. If anybody's noticed anything recently that should be fixed, let me know!

EDIT: Anyone know where the supposed BSP problem in 06 Helibase is?

Right, forgot to answer that. It's in the hallway down to the "Munitions Bay".
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Hrm, you mean the one right by the helicopter? And by "hallway" you mean the hallway through the door from the helipad? I'm not seeing any problems, but I'll check again in a bit. If you have a screenshot or something, that would help.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hallway that leads to the munitions bay door. Under the helicopter. Easy to spot after raiding the munitions bay and going through the door.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Haven't checked if it's still there after the other map patch that fixed the Eidos screwup with the GOTY-release.

Helibase BSP error
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Huh. Yeah, I'm not sure that exists in my copies, but I'll make sure.

So, after that painstaking effort to build that perimeter wall around the NYC underground lab cistern, I've realized that it was actually a terrible idea. I completely forgot that adding a convenient waist-high wall around the entire thing kind of makes the map a lot easier.

I suppose I'll just replace it with a railing of the sort that's on the rotating walkway.
Fritz
Thug

Post by Fritz »

Will be some improvements from PS2 version of DX1 transfered to PC in patch?
Like huge robot near VersaLife, metro station boards, other interesting things?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Fritz wrote:Will be some improvements from PS2 version of DX1 transfered to PC in patch?
Like huge robot near VersaLife, metro station boards, other interesting things?
I don't own the PS2 version of Deus Ex, so I wouldn't have a way of doing this. I'm also not sure I would, since this is intended to be a patch only, whereas merging in PS2 changes is much more controversial territory.

Also: The giant robot wouldn't be possible to implement properly using only map changes, and the station boards probably require a texture that only exists in the PS2 version.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

So I've replaced the perimeter wall with a railing in the NYC underground map.

I feel like this is a major change, but it does prevent the idiot troopers from falling into the water, which I've seen them do multiple times. Aside from that, it doesn't really impact gameplay, since you can't hide behind them but can still duck under them if you feel like dropping down onto the pipes. Strictly speaking, I'd consider this an AI issue, but editing the map might still be the most appropriate solution.

Here are a couple screenshots of the end result:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/513 ... iling1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/513 ... iling2.jpg

So, is my dedication to OSHA compliance too obtrusive, or does it seem okay? I'm willing to go either way on this one.

EDIT: I've also noticed an oddity in the Hong Kong UC map. There's a security computer with an option to raise the emergency shutdown keypad (although it's messed up and doesn't open the cover as well; whoops). However, the keypad is raised automatically anyway when you approach it as long as you've already uploaded the virus schematics. I have no idea what exactly they were thinking there, but I can at least fix the computer to open the latch as well as raise the keypad.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I like the railing. It should stay.

If you raise the keypad via the computer and then approach it, will it toggle and lower the keypad or will it continue to stay up?
Fritz
Thug

Post by Fritz »

G-Flex,
Do you know about hole in textures in canals, where you can see drowned secret canal with scientist corpse and aug canister?
Or you already fix that issue?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:I like the railing. It should stay.

If you raise the keypad via the computer and then approach it, will it toggle and lower the keypad or will it continue to stay up?
It stays up just fine. The problem is that the computer doesn't raise the hatch covering the keypad stand, so the keypad stand just penetrates the damn thing, and hatch cover opens up when you approach.
Fritz wrote:G-Flex,
Do you know about hole in textures in canals, where you can see drowned secret canal with scientist corpse and aug canister?
Or you already fix that issue?
I've fixed the one giant hole I knew about; it's the really obvious one in one of the tunnels.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Should the map patch or Hu Ren fix stuff that speedrunners use, like the UNATCO guy that runs out of HQ at Liberty Island if you toss a gas grenade outside the building. Or the exploit that you can gain lots of items if you toss the item and then quickly pick it up cause the game adds inventory faster than it removes it.

http://www.twitch.tv/chutsc2/c/3622862
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh dear, not more damn exploits to fix :/
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I found the superjump especially interesting. Turn on the jump aug, go to Settings -> Game options and then back to the game about three times. Now when you jump it's super high.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Should the map patch or Hu Ren fix stuff that speedrunners use, like the UNATCO guy that runs out of HQ at Liberty Island if you toss a gas grenade outside the building.
This one in particular is already fixed in my working version of Human Renovation, since gas grenades (and similar explosive effects, like LAM dust clouds) will no longer spawn through walls. In a more general sense, though, preventing NPCs from walking through locked doors is incredibly difficult since pathfinding is trash.
Or the exploit that you can gain lots of items if you toss the item and then quickly pick it up cause the game adds inventory faster than it removes it.
... Well, that one is new to me. I might look into this later.
bjorn98009_91 wrote:I found the superjump especially interesting. Turn on the jump aug, go to Settings -> Game options and then back to the game about three times. Now when you jump it's super high.
That's just bizarre. I'll have to verify this for myself.

EDIT: Okay, I've figured out the cause of the super-jump bug with the speed augmentation. When you turn the speed aug on, it sets your jump velocity as follows, basically multiplying its current value by some amount:

Code: Select all

Player.JumpZ *= LevelValues[CurrentLevel];
... Which normally works fine, because it's then reset to a default value upon reactivation.
The problem here is that the Game Options menu has the "Show all/active augs" option, and when that's set, it tells the player's AugmentationSystem object to refresh the aug display... which, perhaps in the interest of being thorough, makes sure that any active aug is actually in the active state by calling GotoState('Active') on the aug. This is bad, because it causes the augmentations to execute whatever code they're meant to execute when first becoming active. In this case, it means the speed aug again multiplies your jump velocity by its value.

Incidentally, this doesn't happen in Human Renovation since it has altered speed aug code, but I wasn't aware of this issue at the time. I'll probably shoehorn in a fix such that it doesn't force augs into the active state unless they should be and aren't in that state already.