Newb question (overriding the vanilla item)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
DarthNihilus
Mole Person

Newb question (overriding the vanilla item)

Post by DarthNihilus »

Another question. For ex. I changed the sodacan, so i can carry now 50 of it not only 10. If I compile it as a mod.u then there are two different "sodacan"-s. Of course I can replace all default ones on ingame maps with my ones, but is there a way to "just" change the vanilla one? Why am I asking this kinda-stupid question is because there is NO access to the maxCopies value for sodacan (also) in the UEd.
So is there a way to change the vanilla sodacan behavior via my mod or to change it directly somehow? (I'm not worried with mod incompatibilities).
Please explain this to me.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Newb question (overriding the vanilla item)

Post by G-Flex »

Why not just edit the SodaCan class in DeusEx.u?
DarthNihilus
Mole Person

Post by DarthNihilus »

How? I mean - with what?

Edit---
When I open the script in UEd, the defaultvalues {} are NOT shown as you may know. And if I'm compiling a new deusex.u it crashes with the "Superclass UBrowserBufferedTCPLink of class deusexspylink not found"

Edit 2---

Ok, somehow I managed to recompile the deusex.u file, but it's now bigger by 7181 bytes. Whatthe? oO
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

You should be exporting all classes in UnrealEd, and that'll give you access to the script files for... well, everything.

7kB or so isn't very much, so I wouldn't really worry about that.

And really, you shouldn't be editing the default values of things in UnrealEd if you're trying to make global changes; you should be editing the script package itself for that. Just export all classes from UnrealEd, change SodaCan.uc to your specifications, and recompile DeusEx.u using ucc -make.
DarthNihilus
Mole Person

Post by DarthNihilus »

G-Flex wrote: Just export all classes from UnrealEd, change SodaCan.uc to your specifications, and recompile DeusEx.u using ucc -make.
That's exactly what i did, thanks.

The minor changes are just for more comfortable gameplay for myself. I'm not ready to make a serios mod, I haven't finished Tacks tuts yet .
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

DarthNihilus wrote:How? I mean - with what?

Edit---
When I open the script in UEd, the defaultvalues {} are NOT shown as you may know. And if I'm compiling a new deusex.u it crashes with the "Superclass UBrowserBufferedTCPLink of class deusexspylink not found"

Edit 2---

Ok, somehow I managed to recompile the deusex.u file, but it's now bigger by 7181 bytes. Whatthe? oO
DarthNihilus,
How were you able to recompile deusex.u? I'm having the same "Superclass UBrowserBufferedTCPLink of class deusexspylink not found" problem.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

You know, for something like the sodacan you probably could've just entered

set deusex.sodacan maxcopies 50

at the console.

Mr.f.: don't compile anything inside the editor, it is a bad, bad idea. Export the code, edit it in wotgreal or hell, notepad, then recompile using uccmake.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Or just use a Mutator, to change maxcopies after Spawn().
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

I have a noob question, and I don't feel like making a new topic for something that small.

Is it easy to have enemies fly (lets say with jet packs) and have a flying AI?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I'm really not sure how well pathing would work in three dimensions/in the air. I guess a similar thing is done for underwater areas, though, if that works okay, but frankly, I have no idea. At any rate, you'd need to mess with their movement code a fair deal.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Maybe check the Warload's code in Unreal1.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Ok, to make my question more clear.

Can we have a JC Vs Iron Man battle ingame or not?

Also new question.

Voice activated augmantations. Can it happen?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Yes and Yes.