HX - A DeusEx Coop Modification

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
fantsu
UNATCO

Re: HX - A Deus Ex Coop Modification

Post by fantsu »

This is really interesting, but can someone clarify this to me.

Is this supposed to be co-op on the same computer, just on different screens (like serious sam), or linked computers LAN-style relying on Deus Ex multiplayer??
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Networking. Actually on the screen is a dedicated with two clients running. Doesn't matter on which machine the clients or the server runs. HX is probably best played on LAN. I'm rather pessimistic about internet play performance, since there are way more actors on deus ex maps then unreal.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Update: Started working on DataLinks.

http://coding.hanfling.de/boom_hx_datalinks.jpg
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Hanfling wrote:Update: Started working on DataLinks.

http://coding.hanfling.de/boom_hx_datalinks.jpg
That's amazing! Keep up the good work! :D
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Update: Datalinks working 95%. Even the client has the flags to show them correctly. The server has a dryrunner, so that timing of events will match if the datalink could be started at the same time on the client.

First person conversations invoked by IM_Frob and IM_Radius are partialy working.

http://coding.hanfling.de/firstperson_convo_butcher.jpg
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Do the infolinks play for all players when one hits the infolink trigger or does it just play for the player who hits the trigger?
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

It queues the datalinks for playback on all player. (and plays it serverside to tigger events, set flags, add/complete goals, award skill points, and in the future also for adding images).
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

Now that's a proper Co-Op! =D>
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Paul now gives me the GEP Gun. So Everything will be fine.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Does that mean all players will be given a GEP gun or do other players get to choose as well?
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

The player who talks to Paul gets the weapon. It would be cool if other players could also select a weapon, but that would require an additional conversation and checks if a specific player already picked a weapon. Chances are that i will add it later, but there are more important things to do for now. Conversations are mostly working, but camera is often wrong, no speech animation on clients (does anyone know by what Pawn.nextPhoneme is set? It is left empty on a dedicated server), player animation is often wrong in conversation, etc.

http://coding.hanfling.de/hx_gep_gun.png
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Yeah I dunno about having 2 JCs. It's a bit of an immersion-breaker and people (not necessarily including me) tend to take that sort of thing seriously. If it were up to me I would replace the conversations with synopses like "Paul gives you a map of the island and offers you a choice between three weapons....etc". I mean, it's nice to keep the conversations in there but I think most people will be doing this for their 3rd or 4th playthrough.

Otherwise, you could just give JC #2 a different jacket lol.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Maybe i should use the playername in the conversation and not JC Denton. You can still skip over conversations like in SP if you don't want to listen to them in detail. You can select the face of the player, just like in sp, so no one with a pink coat is running around. ;) I don't think multiple JC Denton's are that much of a problem. Remember when you are in Area 51? The tube with Alex Denton in it?

http://coding.hanfling.de/hx_player_select.png
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Just wanted to ask any ETA on when is this mod going to be released? I have a friend with which i want to play DX very much. Also is it going to be compatibile with Revision? Thanks for answering :) The mod looks awesome so far!
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

"When it's done."
There is still one major blocker. Saving the map must be moved to Browse(), so it won't crash any more on some occasion when changing the map. Also I don't want to release HX in it's current unpolished state, since there are still plenty of smaller bugs, mostly effects not working right on a client, lipsynch missing, etc.

ETA of a release candidate for public bug hunting might be in 3 - 9 months.

HX is based on lastest vanilla DeusEx patch. Mods won't work out of the box, since it will at least require a customized missionscript, replacement weapons, items, etc. based on HX stuff. Getting a mod which just adds some weapon, or smaller stuff to work with HX in coop is probably straight forward and not that much work.