Importing Music

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Fjaj
Thug

Importing Music

Post by Fjaj »

I am trying to replace the default Deus Ex music with the higher definition GOTY music tracks, but i have hit one major snag: I have found absolutely no music programs that can export to .umx, even though some of theme can load .umx files and convert them to something else. Does anyone know of a program capable of exporting to .umx? Or even better, has someone already made this mod?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Importing Music

Post by G-Flex »

"Converting" a digital audio recording (like an MP3, or something on a CD) to .umx doesn't really make any sense. UMX is basically a barely-modified (if modified at all) version of the ImpulseTracker format. It's a type of module format, meaning it doesn't contain a full recording of a track; it simply contains recordings of samples and instructions on how to play them (think of it as some kind of sheet music with samples if you want to).

It's easy to "convert" a module file of whatever type to a recording: You basically just play it back and record the output. However, turning an MP3 or whatever into UMX is pretty absurd.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

That's why the DxOgg plugin was written. However implementing ogg music require either changes to the maps or changes to the MissionScript that's in DeusEx.u.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Fjaj
Thug

Post by Fjaj »

So whats the best way to replace the Deus Ex music?
Also, where are the "action" music files; I can;t find them in the main music folder.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

All the music for a given level is in one .umx file. To playback any given pattern just open that music file in OpenMPT and have a look.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Fjaj wrote:So whats the best way to replace the Deus Ex music?
Also, where are the "action" music files; I can;t find them in the main music folder.
If you want to replace the UMX music with digital audio tracks like you were saying, you'd have to use the DXOgg plugin bjorn mentioned.
Fjaj
Thug

Post by Fjaj »

Anyone got a link? I can't seem to find it on Google.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The DXOgg plugin? Just rip it out from a TNM install or similar. You'll need to take both DXOgg.u and DXOgg.dll, they need to be placed in your Systems folder when using the plugin for UED. Don't forget to add EditPackages=DXOgg to your DeusEx.ini.
Fjaj
Thug

Post by Fjaj »

Could I also use the MP3 plugin from Project 2027?
Fjaj
Thug

Post by Fjaj »

I can't figure out how to replace the music in the levels (Using a DX editor). I can only add new music which doesn't play (Even if it's not an ogg); the original music plays as if no changes were made.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Dude, follow that tutorial.

-Has to be in .umx or .ogg format
-has to be modified with a tracker program
-Has to be set in a map and the map saved.

If in .ogg format you need the .ogg plugin for dx. You have been given info on .ogg in the posts above as well as it being mentioned in that tutorial iirc.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You should have DXOgg under your Actors in the Class browser. Under DXOgg you should have DXOggMusicManager. You need to place that in the map somewhere. Then set appropriate filenames that actually have the extension .ogg. Then you go to Options -> Level properties -> Audio to remove the music that's already in the map.

Also don't forget to add OggPath=..\Music\Ogg\ or similar under [Core.System] in DeusEx.ini. Place your .ogg files in the folder the OggPath points to.
Fjaj
Thug

Post by Fjaj »

How do you place DXOggMusicManager in the map?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Like you place any other thing in the world. Select it in the class browser, right click in the world where you want it and then just add it.