Deranged still looking for a coder

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
machina
Thug

Deranged still looking for a coder

Post by machina »

Hi, can you code? Get in touch! We received various offers for tasks and I'd like to thank everybody who sent us emails and supported us. But despite having made a lot of progress unfortunately we still don't have a coder.

We need someone who's advanced at coding and missionscript. There's various tasks to be done, we need someone with patience and dedication. Someone who can think along with the project and stay involved. And most importantly: someone who can help us with more than just one thing. There's lots of small missionscripts that are needed for Deranged. You will have to know the limits of the engine and how to write various scripts. You will also have to be prepared to play an active part in the development of Deranged and be prepared to re-write code and missionscripts months or even years later if needed.

Do you...
...know a lot about Deus Ex (the original game, not any mods)
...know a lot about Deus Ex mods or are you willing to learn about them (which includes downloading them and trying them out)
...know how to build a .exe for Deranged
...know how to build missionscripts
...know more?

Send us a message here.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deranged

Deranged has been under construction since the dinosaurs died and by now it has grown large enough to rival mods like TNM. It has a rich storyline filled with plot changes and many of the maps have been finished for years now. However without a good coder it's all going to suck. So get in touch! Eternal fame will be yours!

Are you working on a mod and need help? Help us and we will help you!

Update: we are currently looking for a TEXTURER who can make a few high quality textures for us.
Last edited by machina on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deranged still looking for a coder

Post by G-Flex »

Out of curiosity, how has your mod grown so large and seemingly complete without any knowledge of missionscripts or code editing?
machina
Thug

Post by machina »

Because I'm the mapbuilder and storywriter and the scripts we need are just for spawning NPC's and other stuff. There have been (and are still) several others involved in this project. For some things we've got small missionscripts already but we're all still in the learning process so we could really use a veteran scripter. A deranged.exe has been made before but we need a new one and we need someone who does not mind changing the .exe later if that is needed. But usually people can only help with a few things, that's why we're looking for someone who can help with everything and who doesn't mind staying involved for some time.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You don't build a new .exe when creating a mod. Just copy one of the enhanced .exe's out there and rename it to whatever you'd like. Then make sure to create .int files (with another file extension), so your mod contains all the appropriate strings. You'll need one that is called DeusEx.whatever and one called exename.whatever. For Revision we chose the extension .rev, so we have both DeusEx.rev and Revision.rev.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Missionscripting is incredibly easy, too. It's more or less just incredibly context-specific unrealscript.

I wrote some tutorials on DXE once, but I have no idea if they survived the purge.

I'd be happy to provide general advice/examples/hints/tips, though I'd very much hesitate to say "sign me up", because I'm incredibly busy and very unlikely to be able to guarantee any commitment. Non-commital PMs is about as far as I'd probably be able to go. :P
machina
Thug

Post by machina »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:You don't build a new .exe when creating a mod. Just copy one of the enhanced .exe's out there and rename it to whatever you'd like. Then make sure to create .int files (with another file extension), so your mod contains all the appropriate strings. You'll need one that is called DeusEx.whatever and one called exename.whatever. For Revision we chose the extension .rev, so we have both DeusEx.rev and Revision.rev.
Thanks. I'm looking into this. Reading through those .int files is interesting, once I have some new weapons imported (hopefully this week) I'll try to set up a deranged.exe. I take it I also need to edit the .exe file with a program?

DDL wrote:Missionscripting is incredibly easy, too. It's more or less just incredibly context-specific unrealscript.

I wrote some tutorials on DXE once, but I have no idea if they survived the purge.

I'd be happy to provide general advice/examples/hints/tips, though I'd very much hesitate to say "sign me up", because I'm incredibly busy and very unlikely to be able to guarantee any commitment. Non-commital PMs is about as far as I'd probably be able to go. :P
That's the thing. I have a personal life too and the more tasks I take the more time consuming this project becomes for me as well. I could just post here and on dxalpha and ask for help on every particular problem but then Deranged is not going to have many surprises. The easiest would be if Deranged had an experienced coder/missionscripter so I can just ask him "hey can we do this? what would be the best way to do this? do you have other ideas that might be cool for this?" That kind of stuff. Just to make the project go faster. I'm currently looking into the .exe stuff but I'm also importing new weapons, building maps, writing text, etc. And I have to combine that with my 3 dollar a day job and my nymphomanic girlfriend (well, sorta)

If we can't find that coder/missionscripter then it's not such a huge problem. We'll probably be able to figure out most things ourselves. That's why the ad is kinda demanding. If we can't find a coder/scripter then too bad, the project will live on.

We're also constantly looking for people to do various small tasks. Right now I could use someone who wants to help make textures, in particular for NPC's. We need a wide range of clothing which include army uniforms, alien uniforms and civilian clothes. But we could also use some new facial textures. Again this is something we could do ourselves but it's faster if someone helps.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Making a custom exe in a nutshell:

right click deusex.exe, copy

rename copy to mymod.exe

copy deusex.ini and user.ini

rename them to mymod.ini and mymoduser.ini

make changes to mymod.ini to load your packages and gameinfo, console and paths

make changes to mymoduser.ini to use your playerclass and establish any new keybinds you might have

make a shortcut to mymod.exe, change the target to read

C:\Deusex\System\mymod.exe ini="C:\Deusex\System\mymod.ini" userini="C:\Deusex\System\mymoduser.ini"

Run game from shortcut.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

DDL wrote: make changes to mymod.ini to load your packages and gameinfo, console and paths
Actually you don't need to add your EditPackages to the mymod.ini if it's intended for release. EditPackages only affects UED.

DDL wrote: C:\Deusex\System\mymod.exe ini="C:\Deusex\System\mymod.ini" userini="C:\Deusex\System\mymoduser.ini"
Don't forget the quotes around the path to the .exe. Also, you can use relative paths with the ini arugments. Atleast if mymod.exe is either Hanfling or Kentie, not sure about the vanilla .exe.
By using relative paths the target of the shortcut will be significantly shorter. This is useful if you have it installed in Steam, because having the full paths will make you hit the target length limit; thus your files won't get referenced correctly and it won't be compatible with Steam.
DDL

Post by DDL »

No need for quotes round the exe path, as far as I can see. Mine doesn't have them, anyway (and works fine on XP and Win7).

Could you elaborate on what you mean by relative paths, just for those of us who are dummies?
machina
Thug

Post by machina »

DDL wrote:Making a custom exe in a nutshell:

right click deusex.exe, copy

rename copy to mymod.exe

copy deusex.ini and user.ini

rename them to mymod.ini and mymoduser.ini

make changes to mymod.ini to load your packages and gameinfo, console and paths

make changes to mymoduser.ini to use your playerclass and establish any new keybinds you might have

make a shortcut to mymod.exe, change the target to read

C:\Deusex\System\mymod.exe ini="C:\Deusex\System\mymod.ini" userini="C:\Deusex\System\mymoduser.ini"

Run game from shortcut.
Thanks for the short tutorial! I tried it and it also works without quotes.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

DDL wrote:No need for quotes round the exe path, as far as I can see. Mine doesn't have them, anyway (and works fine on XP and Win7).

Could you elaborate on what you mean by relative paths, just for those of us who are dummies?
If you have spaces in the path, for instance: "C:\DeusEx Dev\System\deusex.exe" then Windows won't recognize the path correctly if it's not in quotes. So best to always use quotes when generating a shortcut, from within the installer. Since you have no control over what the installdir path will be.

Relative paths like: INI="..\Revision\System\Revision.ini" USERINI="..\Revision\System\RevisionUser.ini".

Windows has a cap of 260 characters for a shortcut target. If the target looked like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex\System\Revision.exe" -hax0r INI="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex\Revision\System\Revision.ini" USERINI="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex\Revision\System\RevisionUser.ini"
it would exceed the character limit and the last argument would be cut off. And that's not good.
machina
Thug

Post by machina »

Currently we have about 17 new weapon models that need to get animations and be imported. Some are high poly (around 1500). We're looking for somebody who can reduce the number of polys and who can make the new animations and import it all successfully.

We are looking for people who want to make skins for NPC's and possibly some other textures.

We are looking for mappers to help build a city. This map is in progress but it could use a second mapper so things go faster.

Coders and experienced missionscripters are always welcome. We have crazy stuff planned for Deranged...