Unrealed (and UED2) Crash

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Suvlaco
NSF

Unrealed (and UED2) Crash

Post by Suvlaco »

So, unfortunately for about the past week or so, both Unreal Ed and Unreal Ed 2 are failing to work for me, which obviously is stalling my modding... -_-

When opening Unreal Ed, it will crash right away with "Unreal Editor Client has stopped working" error, asking me to close the program, with no other details available...
Unreal Ed 2 meanwhile, is slightly different. When I boot it up, it's all ok. I can even begin working on a map, adding/subtracting etc, saving it and so on. However, when I go to open a map, it crashes just like Unreal Ed. I've tried re installation and that didn't work...

The only thing I can think of is that UDK has affected it, as I updated that around the time it all stopped working, but even removing that hasn't worked...
Anyone had similar issues and found anything that may be causing things like this, or fixed things like this?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Unrealed (and UED2) Crash

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Try setting the 3D viewport to something other than 3D, like wireframe or a top view of the map before you load anything.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

No luck with that in UED2, and can't even get to the opening file step with UED1, it just crashes as soon as it's booted :( Whereas it was working fine for ages...
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Oddly enough Unrealed 1 stopped working for me a couple of weeks ago. It would crash on startup. But I just checked and it is now working again.

Deus ex worked just fine when unrealed wasn't working so it shouldn't have been any of the packages.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I'm assuming that you've done a full uninstall and reinstall of both the Deus Ex Editing pack and Deus Ex itself?

Do you have DEP enabled and if so, is UnrealEd in the exception list?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

As well as setting the scene view to wireless also try disabling/hiding movers in the drop down menu next to the view tab. Movers being displayed caused crashes for me on occasion. That's probably the reason the devs hid a lot of movers in UED themselves. To hide a specific mover (one you have finished work on) from view in UED, right click on it --> Properties --> Advanced --> HiddenED=True.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Honestly, I've found that sometimes UEd just decides to die, without reason.

Often this can be remedied by simply restarting the computer, but other times: nope, it's dead.

Reinstalling the editor fixes it though. Ludicrously excessive fix, but worst case scenario etc.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

DDL wrote:Honestly, I've found that sometimes UEd just decides to die, without reason.

Often this can be remedied by simply restarting the computer, but other times: nope, it's dead.

Reinstalling the editor fixes it though. Ludicrously excessive fix, but worst case scenario etc.
lol

I have found my editor slowing down. The only thing I could attribute this to is windows updating.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

So far I've had no luck :( I've tried uninstall then reinstall, with original disk, GOTY disk, and Steam version, and all kaput :( #-o
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

Something must have changed OP. Program's just don't stop working. Something is ticking it off :-k
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

I know, I just can't figure out what :( It happened around the time I installed UDK and updated my video drivers. I've since uninstalled UDK and reverted to the old drivers I had while it was working but still not luck... =/ I'll keep playing around and see what happens =/
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Halle-fkn-lujah! Finally figured out what the problem was! For some reason, Data Execution Prevention was causing it to crash -_-
After changing drivers, re installs, compete clear outs... that's all that was wrong. No idea WHY it was happening suddenly, but I've added it to the exceptions and now... it's working :D
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

Lol good job on sorting it. It's always the minor things that cause major issues and they re more often than not very difficult to find out!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Suvlaco wrote:Halle-fkn-lujah! Finally figured out what the problem was! For some reason, Data Execution Prevention was causing it to crash -_-
bjorn98009_91 wrote:Do you have DEP enabled and if so, is UnrealEd in the exception list?
Lol, you didn't check it when I pointed it out?
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

I had, but as I've got multiple installs (one for my mod, one for main game/other mods) I suspect I'd added the wrong UED to the DEP, whilst my shortcut was likely to the other UED -_- Feel free to hit me on the head...