autosaves

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

autosaves

Post by Neveos »

I remember, somehow, someone was developing this. Did anyone finish it? Could I have it and credit you?
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: autosaves

Post by G-Flex »

There's an autosave mechanism included in the working build of Deus Ex 2.0 (by DXBlaster, I think?).

Unfortunately, it's kind of quirky (doesn't save until a fraction of a second after you gain control of the player character on the map) and also has some weird bugs I've been able to reproduce under some circumstances, including crashing, so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I guess a better solution might be to add code to the travel-related functions so that you save immediately before traveling to a new map, but I don't know.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

oh ok, that's interesting. Yeah, I guess I'm just worried about player getting into an inescapable bind... but that's what makes these old games fun.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

GMDX adapted the autosave for hardcore mode and fixed the crashing by adding a delay to the calling of the function in postBeginPlay, if I remember correctly.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Delaying it worked for me as well, although that just meant an even greater delay between beginning play and the game saving, which felt really awkward to me.

It's also worth mentioning that since the game will refuse to save during an infolink conversation, any map that opens with one won't get autosaved (such as in Paris).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Delaying it worked for me as well, although that just meant an even greater delay between beginning play and the game saving, which felt really awkward to me.
It's delayed by just a few milliseconds/ticks/whatever, though it is just about noticeable.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Well, where exactly does yours happen in the code? I'm curious.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Well, where exactly does yours happen in the code? I'm curious.
Mission scripts- postBeginPlay iirc.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Hrm, that can't be right. That would make it occur before the mission script timer starts, not after. Mind uploading a copy of the script somewhere, or pasting the relevant bits?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I cannot, for my comp. is fucked.

You haven't already downloaded the mod yourself? :shock:

8)

If you do dl it, the relevant code is defo in the mission scripts.