Trigger NPC movement from ConEdit?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
alexalbinos
Mole Person

Trigger NPC movement from ConEdit?

Post by alexalbinos »

In a single player map I am making, I want an NPC that's blocking a narrow hallway to walk down that hall after the player speaks to him. I've tried triggering an OrdersTrigger from ConEdit (triggering it at the end of the convo) so he would go down a patrol path, but it doesn't seem to work.

I've just started trying out triggers recently so I'm not sure what's possible and what's not or if I'm doing it completely wrong. Any advice is appreciated.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Trigger NPC movement from ConEdit?

Post by DDL »

Ok, first try just triggering the trigger manually (i.e. just walk into it or similar): if the NPC correctly walks to the right place, you know your trigger and pathing are all fine. If he doesn't, then check your pathing by simply setting his orders to "goingto" with an orderstag of your destination.

Assuming he can happily walk to his destination, the most obvious problem would simply be with orders working poorly within conversation (even at the end of convos): the trick I usually use is to have the conversation trigger a dispatcher instead, and have the dispatcher trigger your orderstrigger after a second or so.
alexalbinos
Mole Person

Post by alexalbinos »

Thanks for the reply... it seems I've lost my map somehow; I downloaded MoreTriggers from this forum, loaded them in the editor but didn't add any, and then loaded the map, but got the starting intro (DX logo) instead every time I did CTRL+P, so I closed and reopened the SDK, and when I tried again, everything was gone. Weird thing is the map file still has the same size it had when there was things there.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Possibly your map now wants moretriggers.u to be loaded every time. Try opening the editor, loading that package, and then opening your map.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

You need to go to deusex.ini in your system folder. Find where it lists all your "edit packages", and add a line that includes loading more triggers. Sounds like you are loading it manually in the editor instead of automatically using the system file.

As for making the NPC move after a convo: it sounds like you are doing the right thing. The NpC won't move until after the convo is done. The trigger just disposes him to enacting those orders after he is done talking. If he's not moving, but maybe he just turns around and stands there, or something, it sounds like your pathing might be bad.

Do you know how to read the tutorials? Read the tutorials on pathing. Also, are you using ued1 or ued2 (the hack)?
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ