Ideas on how to make glowing textures for meshes?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Ideas on how to make glowing textures for meshes?

Post by DDL »

You could be right, for "actually modern" machines. I know switching from vanilla to HDTP makes a noticable difference to my poor ca. 8 year old laptop with an onboard gfx card, so there IS a difference, but this may be so small as to be irrelevant on any half-decent hardware (in which case it would presumably make little difference if you doubled the mesh number, anyway).

There's also the LOD issue: the more polys in a model, the more aggressive (and often..retarded) the LOD culling is. I actually had to turn LOD scaling effectively "off" for the HDTP computer mesh, because otherwise as you retreated you'd see the screen twist and fold up on itself in a series of unnatural contortions, like a crap blue puzzlebox from unreal engine hell.

Eh, overall, I've never had any trouble with just using "two meshes" to replicate the 'unlit polys where you want em' effect.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote: 8 year old laptop with an onboard gfx card
Snap.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I actually got the polys to be unlit by using Milkshape to export the mesh and then UnrealFX them. However I wasn't really satisfied with the result, even of I cranked up the scaleglow on the actors. Also how do you turn off the LOD scaling? I kept seeing parts of the mesh disappear when I moved away from it.

Still, too much hassle for me to include them. Maybe for another release.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Import line:

#exec MESH LODPARAMS MESH=YOURMESHNAMEHERE STRENGTH=SOMELOWNUMBER

1 is (I believe) default, so SOMELOWNUMBER can be basically anything lower than that, and it (as far as I'm aware) either applies less stringent LOD scaling, or simply starts the LOD scaling at greater distances from the player. The HDTPComputerPersonal (incidentally, Cy_P, everything in HDTP was compiled on that self-same 8 year old lappy with onboard gfx 8-[ ) uses STRENGTH=0.125.