Assistance with basic coding?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Dinjoralo
Mole Person

Assistance with basic coding?

Post by Dinjoralo »

So, I'm trying to merge the Deus Ex Enhanced UI mod with the latest version of Shifter, but I've come across a problem; I have no idea what I'm doing. I managed to decompile the DeusEx.u files for both, and I've moved all the .uc files regarding the UI, HUD and such from Enhanced to the Shifter files, with no intention of it actually working, but I don't know how to recompile them back into a .u file. A few questions on this;
First, how do I recompile everything?
Second, since I know it can't be this easy, what else will I need to do?
Third, would anyone be interested in this?

Thanks!
~Dinjoralo
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Assistance with basic coding?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

1. move all DeusEx.u files you have in your Deus Ex directory out of the directory. I'm guessing you have 2: 1 in DeusEx/System the other in DeusEx/Shifter/System.

2. Bring up the command prompt and type "cd" then the path to your DeusEx\System folder then press enter. Example: "cd C:\DeusEx\System" (without quotes)

3. Type "ucc make" (without quotes).

You'll probably be unsuccessful.
Dinjoralo
Mole Person

Post by Dinjoralo »

I know this is going to make you lose your faith in humanity, but what command prompt are you talking about?
Cybernetic pig wrote:You'll probably be unsuccessful.
You think I didn't know that?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

cmd.exe
Dinjoralo wrote:I know this is going to make you lose your faith in humanity
Actually your second sentence annoyed me more, and my faith in humanity remains unaffected. I never had much faith to begin with so it'll take something monumental to lower it further :P
Dinjoralo
Mole Person

Post by Dinjoralo »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Actually your second sentence annoyed me more
Oh.
Sorry. :<
The command prompt's saying that it can't find any files matching "..\Core\Classes\*.uc". The folder's in there, I don't know what's going on.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Using the command prompt cd command you have to navigate to the location of ucc.exe, should be in DeusEx\System. Your confusion may be my fault, my mad.
Dinjoralo
Mole Person

Post by Dinjoralo »

That's where I had it set, in the system folder, and UCC.exe is in there. Bah, I'll muck around with it tomorrow.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You should have a folder in your main Deus Ex root folder called "DeusEx" and in that folder have a folder called Classes. It has all the .UC files that's going to be compiled into DeusEx.u.

Open up a command prompt in your System folder, easiest way to do this is to Shift-Right click on an empty area in that folder and select "Open command window here".

Then type "del deusex.u" to delete the DeusEx.u file that's in your System folder, you have to delete it in order to compile a new one. If you know you have other DeusEx.u files in other folders that your game uses like "\Shifter" or HDTP those DeusEx.u files needs to go as well, OR you need to remove those folders from the Paths variables in your DeusEx.ini.

Then in the command prompt, type "ucc make".
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Dinjoralo
Mole Person

Post by Dinjoralo »

Thank you, Bjorn. Moving all the .u files out and putting the file with the classes in the root folder solved the problem; Now I'm getting a different error in the command prompt. Progress!
"Script vs. class name mismatch (menuchoice_class/generated)
Superclass Window of class ActorDisplayWindow not found"
...I guess I need to do some actual coding work now.
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

I.. can assist with the first error..

Code: Select all

Script vs. class name mismatch (menuchoice_class/generated)
well, look for a file either named 'menuchoice_class.uc' or 'generated.uc'
open them up, and it should be something like this:

class menuchoice_class extends x

class generated extends y
now the thing you have to look for is; well, as the error suggests, the class name vs script has mismatch, so check if they both have the same name inside the class as well as on the script.

e.g; you have a file named 'chicken.uc' and when you open it up, it says:

class cat extends Animal;
you see the conflict there? the filename is chicken whereas the script says cat, so you have to fix that.

About the second error.. hmm, well, can you provide your DeusEx.ini, please?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Dinjoralo wrote:So, I'm trying to merge the Deus Ex Enhanced UI mod with the latest version of Shifter, but I've come across a problem; I have no idea what I'm doing.
My advice: Don't copy over any of the targeting reticle adjustment code from Deus Ex Enhanced, because it's weird and doesn't work right.