"Deus Infernalis" - A very wip mod set in Doom 3's UAC

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

"Deus Infernalis" - A very wip mod set in Doom 3's UAC

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

So, this is what I've been working on. Deus Infernalis, a mod for Deus Ex set in the third Doom game's rendition of the UAC Mars base. :)

I haven't got much so far, but I'm pretty proud of the little I have made (since I *just* started out modding Deus Ex). I have some screenshots of my WIP map, a few skins and a couple items to show you.

First, my (first!) map:

The is the first area the player visits in the UAC, Mars City (both in my mod and in Doom 3 :P ). I only have one room done so far but I've put so much detail into it that it's taken me a few days. Then again, I am a complete noob, so...

Anyways, here's an information terminal, lazily made of brushes:

A UAC PDA:

And a working flashlight! (Ported from Unreal and reskinned) :D

Now the skins.

Marine in armor:
Off-duty Marine:
Mars Security:
Egghead:
Maintenance:
And a WIP zombie trying to attack me: (they don't do damage yet, trying to figure that out)

Not pictured is a recycled MiniSpiderBot-with-a-machinegun as the Sentry.

What do y'all think? :) I'll keep this thread up to date with information on the things I make. Any comments and criticism is appreciated!
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

We want to power down the whole system.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Re: "Deus Infernalis" - A very wip mod set in Doom 3's UAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civ47ai3Eq0

Probably the final version of my menu map. I stole a little trick from CTF-Face and made the background slowly spin around.

Edit:

As I said, probably :D I added Phobos and Deimos in orbit around Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAvIP8oQl0
Last edited by ThisIsMyUsername on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I'm pretty sure that Id Software's music is copyrighted :)
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Haha, probably. I'll try and find something to replace it later :P

Or maybe I'll just not upload it anywhere like Moddb. Bethesda can't C&D me if they don't know I exist! :twisted:

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I don't like the concept (Doom 3 already exists and on a better engine), but the work shown looks very good. Definitely would play, especially if you actually make an experience that ends up better than Doom 3...which shouldn't be too hard with all of Deus Ex's code in place. Keep it up!

I have no idea how you think you are going to pull off convincing demons in Unreal 1 though, good luck with that ;)
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

I agree that it's generally a pretty silly idea to make something in UE1 that could be made in idTech 4, but I don't think it's been done before so why not? :lol:

Yeah, I've thought about the demons and I'm probably gonna have to find help to make them actually look convincing. They'd at least need some custom animations.

Edit:

New soda stuff!

ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Seems it's okay for me to use TNM stuff, so I can add the fists and other stuff to the mod. Woo! :smile:

ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Alright, a list of things I'm not sure I can do right now, or that'll be/have proven to be rather difficult:

Format: Idea (Note)
  • Add/port pawns (demons/zombies/maybe NPCs) with new models and/or animations
    Add/port weapons with new models and/or animations (also maybe remove sleeves from existing models? My player is short-sleeved)
    Completely remove the augmentation system (and replace the BE meter with an armor meter or something)
    Make an .EXE that fixes any speed/compatibility/whatever issues thanks again han
    Make DXOgg work
    Make high-quality maps that are my own original creations, not copied inch-for-inch from Doom 3 (This is actually manageable but will delay the mod quite a bit)
I'm getting some help from the incredimazing Hanfling with some of this but I should probably be a bit more independent, since I've been practically using him as a crutch (sorry mate)

Anyways, any assistance with any of these would be extremely helpful. :smile:

bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You can use Revision's DXOgg system once we are done, we've made some improvements upon the original that came with TNM.

I mostly just want to wrap stuff up, and write some documentation. Should also contact Jim, the creator of the "plugin" and ask his position on releasing the source to the community.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Oh cool, thanks!

ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Tada! :mrgreen:

Also I think I managed to make the function keys bindable! (since augmentations are gone)

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:augmentations are gone
Can you tell us more about your mod? What is your goal here? Seems like you are trying to rebuild Doom 3 rather faithfully in UED1? And here I was expecting some weird hybrid of Deus Ex and Doom 3 gameplay (and System Shock series since Doom 3 borrows heavily from it) or something.
I would like to know how you envision the final version of the mod: why should we play it?
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Cybernetic pig wrote:Can you tell us more about your mod? What is your goal here? Seems like you are trying to rebuild Doom 3 rather faithfully in UED1? And here I was expecting some weird hybrid of Deus Ex and Doom 3 gameplay (and System Shock series since Doom 3 borrows heavily from it) or something.
I would like to know how you envision the final version of the mod: why should we play it?
Those are... pretty good questions. I'm really not sure quite where I'm going with this at the moment to be honest with you, cause I'm just sort of tweaking game/map features as I go at the moment. I do have a general idea of a storyline of course, and I can give a brief synopsis of it if you'd like. I'm just really really.. not far into development right now. I just started a week or so ago. A progressively clearer picture as I go along is what I'm reaching for.

For the gameplay, I'm intending to lean more towards "Classic Doom with a Deus Ex twist and Doom 3's setting thrown in". If that sounds a little chaotic of an concept, then... yeah. :lol: I also intend to have at least a half or more of the maps be original creations. I'm not really recreating Doom 3, just certain plot-important areas.

There will actually be survivors scattered around the base, so there will be the occasional conversation (or murder :twisted: ) to be had. I'll also be sure to add a touch of interactivity in most areas too. It shouldn't be just SHOOT SHOOT *yawn* SHOOT SHOOT.

The mod isn't about removing augmentations, the player character simply isn't augmented. Thought that would kind of throw players who rely on augmentations for a loop, as, depending on the difficulty, you're either assailed by tons of slightly weaker enemies or put up against a smaller number of stronger enemies. (Opposite day :P ) To be fair, though, if there's enough demand for augmentations I might add them back in some form.

Going forward, I'll be trying to add new gameplay features and interesting locations to check out. And trust me, not everything is going to be super-linear like Mars City if I can help it. I'll be pushing myself to add branching paths and cool environments. Views of the UAC from the Mars surface, for example. This is going to be a long-term project, so I'll have some time to practice.

Anyways, those are just my plans. If that sounds interesting to you guys, feel free to stick around, but don't feel obligated. I just hope this mod can live up to anyone's expectations... including my own! 8-[ If any of you have any suggestions for additions, removals, or just cutting the plan back, let me know. I'm completely open to any ideas.

Thanks for the questions, Cyberpig. :smile:

I sound really fucking pretentious don't I. Oh well, I'm trying, and I'm going to keep trying til the mod is finished or I drop dead.

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah I'd probably play it, since you claim to be making non-linear levels unlike D3 :smile:
You gonna add sprinting since no augs and it emulates D3 to some degree? I'd like the code if so :)
ThisIsMyUsername wrote: I sound really fucking pretentious don't I. Oh well, I'm trying, and I'm going to keep trying til the mod is finished or I drop dead.
Eh, I could have used someone like you on my team. You've obviously skilled enough in programming.
Bets are on whether or not you finish the TC btw.

...just kidding. ;) Good luck.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Thanks. :smile:

I was actually considering adding sprinting, but I'm trying to decide what the Bioelectricity meter should be replaced with. Armor or stamina? Armor or stamina? ARMOR OR STAMINA :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Anyways, yeah. Mite b cool