Mesh not appearing

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Mesh not appearing

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I'm having a problem with a mesh I converted to DX not displaying ingame or in the editor. It renders fine in the mesh viewers that come with the Deus Ex Editing Pack, but it's completely invisible in the engine.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

We want to power down the whole system.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Mesh not appearing

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm, is the actor added correctly? Check the log.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Can you see it in the meshviewer in the editor?

Also, does it appear in perspective (wireframe) editor viewmode?

And is the actor set to be drawtype DT_Mesh (as opposed to, say, DT_Sprite, which won't display meshes).
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Hmm, is the actor added correctly? Check the log.
Seems to be.
Cmd: ParseRightClick
Cmd: ACTOR ADD CLASS=deltakiosk
Log: addactor
Log: Added actor successfully
DDL wrote:Can you see it in the meshviewer in the editor?

Also, does it appear in perspective (wireframe) editor viewmode?

And is the actor set to be drawtype DT_Mesh (as opposed to, say, DT_Sprite, which won't display meshes).
Doesn't appear in the meshviewer, doesn't appear in the wireframe perspective, and it is indeed set to DT_Mesh. It was working fine when I first added it, and I didn't really make any changes to it, so I have no idea why it's all screwy now. Weird. :?
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Consider sticking with UED1. It crashes more frequently, lacks some functionality and uses more processing power but at least it isn't bug-ridden like the UED2 hack.
UED2 is still usable though and if you can avoid it's issues and make frequent backups it is much better to use, but at least try importing into UED1 to see if your mesh appears. Sometimes meshes don't appear in UED2, sometimes still visible in wireframe mode, sometimes not.

One time I was using UED2, building away, clicking save on regular intervals until I was done for this session. I go to load up the map again next time and nothing was saved...there's so much BS with UED2 but when it's working as intended it's a Godsend.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Cybernetic pig wrote:Consider sticking with UED1. It crashes more frequently, lacks some functionality and uses more processing power but at least it isn't bug-ridden like the UED2 hack.
UED2 is still usable though and if you can avoid it's issues and make frequent backups it is much better to use, but at least try importing into UED1 to see if your mesh appears. Sometimes meshes don't appear in UED2, sometimes still visible in wireframe mode, sometimes not.

One time I was using UED2, building away, clicking save on regular intervals until I was done for this session. I go to load up the map again next time and nothing was saved...there's so much BS with UED2 but when it's working as intended it's a Godsend.
I actually am using UED1, but thanks for the advice :giggle:

bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:One time I was using UED2, building away, clicking save on regular intervals until I was done for this session. I go to load up the map again next time and nothing was saved...there's so much BS with UED2 but when it's working as intended it's a Godsend.
Yeah, that happened to me a few times before, not sure how I sorted it. Best to just have the log window up at all times, it says "failed to save...". Although my install of UED2 is probably a bit more stable as I've tweaked it a lot in various ways. Don't get any bugs with it any more, except for some meshes not displaying but that's cause they are DX meshes and UED2 can only display meshes that's in Unreal format, so you need to convert and compile special UED2 packages.
Consider sticking with UED1. It crashes more frequently, lacks some functionality and uses more processing power but at least it isn't bug-ridden like the UED2 hack.
UED1 is just so... Ugh. Occasionally it's useful for rebuilding paths when UED2 fails to do the job and for doing item placements of custom meshes that doesn't work in UED2, but other then that it's bloody awful.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Mh this "failed to save..." in UED might be due to a missmatch of the binary layout of an class and the hacked packages in the UED2. I had the same error after extending my own FractalTexture class.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh yeah, for UED2 you need to compile special classes. Essentially remove everything that's game logic in your classes, just leave the default properties. This is because the editor does not require that logic and since it's based on another engine revision then the DX-version of UED1 some stuff doesn't work. Probably won't fixed the mesh issue since that occured with UED1.