Decals Attached to Actors

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Decals Attached to Actors

Post by Cybernetic pig »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--5lDw8v3xA

Hmm. Never heard of that game before. Looks interesting.
I'm not sure if it can be called adequate, at least the torso hit, but maybe we can do it better. Would anyone be willing to help me? I'd greatly appreciate it and the code could be released open source afterwards.
Either way, thank you for the contributions this far.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Honestly, if you're going to be doing the hit tracing that crudely, it might just be easier to make a few textures with blood decals on them already, and just swap the textures.

So something like

UNACOTroopTex2_hitfront
UNACOTroopTex2_hitback
UNACOTroopTex2_hitboth

Or similar. Less elegant, but also much easier to code.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Like I said, I was hoping it could be done better than just using the hitlocations from the health code. I'm not sure the method you suggest would be easier either as you'd have to create bloodied multiskins variants of each character skin in the game.
If it cannot be made to look at least decent then it'd have to go.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

DDL wrote:Honestly, if you're going to be doing the hit tracing that crudely, it might just be easier to make a few textures with blood decals on them already, and just swap the textures.

So something like

UNACOTroopTex2_hitfront
UNACOTroopTex2_hitback
UNACOTroopTex2_hitboth

Or similar. Less elegant, but also much easier to code.
Well, problem is you need combinations of them. So if you have like 2 different effects for each body part (torso, left leg, right leg, head, right arm, left arm, #6) you would already need to have 2^6 = 64 different skins, well probably a bit less as not all body parts use the same texture, but if you have like just a few different levels of damage for each body part you end up having an insane amount of different skin and that approach gets pretty awkward.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.