Theoretical question: Dual wielding and shields

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
DDentonas
UNATCO

Theoretical question: Dual wielding and shields

Post by DDentonas »

So, I was thinking while playing, how fun it would be to dual wield weapons. Not at the same time. You can just choose (by pressing f or something) to use either hand to attack. You can use it to have 2 pistols (so you won't have to reaload in the middle of combat) or a pistol and a sword. The main benefit would be to that you wouldn't waste time with the "equip weapon" animation. You would just see the hand you are using going forward. Of course major balancing would be needed.

Also this opens the way for ballistic shield. I'll spare you the details, but I'm thinking it can protect from small arms and takes damage (and breaks) from stronger arms. It does not cover your legs.

So my (theoretical) question, is: Would it be possible to have dual wielding in Deus ex? Also would it be easy to have NPCs attack the legs if they use small arms? What about coordinating the AI to try to attack you from two different directions?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: Theoretical question: Dual wielding and shields

Post by Hanfling »

DDentonas wrote:So my (theoretical) question, is: Would it be possible to have dual wielding in Deus ex? Also would it be easy to have NPCs attack the legs if they use small arms? What about coordinating the AI to try to attack you from two different directions?
Yes.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.