Poor Vector Offset Implementation

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Poor Vector Offset Implementation

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Anyone else noticed this? Like how the FireExtinguisher had problems with rotation on the Z axis, it seems a number of other things has similar problems as a result of the vector offset method used or the tracking of player view rot. Problems such as the spawn location of ejected bullet casings changing inaccurately based on player rotation and whether crouched or not, and any projectile that isn't spawned from the center of the screen is inaccurately spawned under these conditions (variable player rotation & collision height) too.

Grab the assault rifle and rotate/crouch while firing to notice it, or note how all projectile-based weapons spawn the projectile from the center of the screen rather than the gun. One exception may be the flamethrower, but everything else (xbow, GEP etc) spawns from the center of the screen.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: Poor Vector Offset Implementation

Post by Hanfling »

Actually the fire extinguisher is not just fixed with tying the projectile generator to the ViewRotation. Actually for other players (or in mirrors) the player actually spits it out of his month. Looks ridiculous. So one major problem is actually that one needs to find some compromise which would look fine in 3rd and 1st person which is even worse.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Is the problem engine-side then? It really cannot be fixed? How could this come to be? How does the weapon for example follow the player rotation correctly? Can we not use the weapon itself as the coordinates for spawning?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I really don't give a crap about third person (at least when spawned by the player anyway). I want optimal first person spawn location, so everything spawns in the correct location (end of the gun for projectiles, and side of the gun for ejected bullet casings) and doesn't freak out based on player view rotation or whether crouched.

Change the assaultgun fireOffset so that grenade launcher fires from the end of the gun rather than center of the screen for example and note how the spawn location changes inaccurately based on viewRotation and/or if crouched.

The problem is that the spawn Location isn't changing correctly based on the player view rotation if an offset is used.