Require help with Deus Ex Editing pack 2

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Bogie
UNATCO

Require help with Deus Ex Editing pack 2

Post by Bogie »

So, I just to say, hello. I know I new to to the forums, but I'll cut to the chase. For about a month, I've been trying to get the Deus Ex editing pack 2 to work on my pc, but it just doesn't want to work! I tried the Deus Ex SDK before, but it wouldn't even launch without crashing immediately. I've reinstalled Deus Ex twice now just so I could see what was wrong. I recently got the Deus ex editing pack to launch, and I can do stuff like extract and view textures and such, but when I go to load a map (Unatco hq first visit, in this case) it crashes!
So I try making a room from scratch. I place a cube (Default size), select it, and use subtract on it. The only thing that changes is the color of the outline. I know this isn't right, since I've used PostEd (Which uses the same layout, same engine, ect.), and when you do that it adds a texture to the walls. Help!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Require help with Deus Ex Editing pack 2

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Post the contents of the editor.log.

Use Unreal Ed 1 instead of the UEd 2 hack. If you absolutely must use UEd2, be prepared for weird bugs. I don't believe you can use it with any custom DeusEx.u either, although that I'm not certain as the method I was attempting could have just been plain wrong. I stopped using the damn thing after it proved itself to be unreliable (deciding it doesn't want to save your work. Refusing to delete objects. Not displaying objects correctly in the 2D viewer among many other things).
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Post the contents of the editor.log.

Use Unreal Ed 1 instead of the UEd 2 hack. If you absolutely must use UEd2, be prepared for weird bugs. I don't believe you can use it with any custom DeusEx.u either, although that I'm not certain as the method I was attempting could have just been plain wrong. I stopped using the damn thing after it proved itself to be unreliable (deciding it doesn't want to save your work. Refusing to delete objects. Not displaying objects correctly in the 2D viewer among many other things).
Well UED1's BSP builder is pretty terrible compared to UED2.1, the editor is very unstable (however Hanfling made it better with his updated Window.dll) and it is lacking certain features like search. However as you say, UED2 is filled with issues. A lot of defprops are incorrect compared to vanilla and thus some values change and some variables are missing altogether and thus one loses those if opened in UED2.

The hope is someday that the regular .u files that is used by the game could be used by the other UnrealED editors.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

With RenderExt.dll (too many lit surfaces crash/hangup, when you have lines like "Anomalous singularity in URender::DrawWorld", it's probably this error), the updated Window.dll (preferences window crashes) and increased stack size (seems to help for larger maps when rebuilding), etc. for UnrealEd.exe it became stable, though there are still some (rare) crashes left. I took that preferences window crash a bit personal after ued crashed all the time while I put 1000+ spawnpoints in a set of maps, so i could extract them with a commandlet.

I guess I should release the updated Window.dll/UnrealEd.exe as a patch, as working with Ued1 is just fucking annoying without it.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Well UED1's BSP builder is pretty terrible compared to UED2.1, the editor is very unstable (however Hanfling made it better with his updated Window.dll) and it is lacking certain features like search
Unstable editor: most crashes are from exiting the "actor properties" window whilst no actor is selected. Once one realizes this crashes are few and far between, mainly from using the 3D viewport and sweeping the camera through densely populated areas, which too can be avoided (though still annoying).

BSP builder: this is all I miss from UED2, really. Well, and it not being so demanding on the CPU.

As for search actors, I've come up with my own alternative:

1. place a new instance of the actor (class x) you want to find.
2. click on it, then click "select all class x actors".
3. Now with all selected, increase the drawscale considerably. All instances of this class will thus be very easy to spot (zoom out in overhead 2D viewport and you'll spot them all instantly).

Of course, it doesn't match UE2's search function but it is functional at least.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I read most of your posts. Yeah, I'll post my editor.log later. Also, from what I gathered, I shouldn't be using UnrealED 2 (Since it apparently has weird bugs, and is probably less compatible with Deus ex). I also found this weird thing:
http://www.oldunreal.com/patch/UnrealEdFix4.exe
I'll try it out later, but basically it says to use it if you get a startup error, accept UnrealEd 1 crashes right after launch.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

unrealedfix4 contains the necessary ocx files, etc. but you probably should not use the unrealed.exe in there.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Ok, so sorry for not replying for a long time. So, I got unreal ed to actually work, and I've been screwing around with things (I.E Transforming Jordan Shea into Smuggler). I can only really open small maps (Like the free clinic, and the underworld tavern). But I have one major problem. One that's been haunting me the entire time.
Textures refuse to show up/I can't change the textures! Can anyone help?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You change the draw mode? There are buttons on the top of the viewport for this.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I just found that on my own, but thanks! I can actually do something in Unrealed 2 for once! :D
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Ok, so a bit of an update. I've gotten very used to using the editor, and I've been screwing around with things like Cutscenes (In other words, making a sequel to the dance party ending), and adding things to existing Deus Ex missions (Mainly, Mission 8). One of the coolest things I found, was making vehicles that you could shoot to explode. It's fun as hell, And I've even considered making a pack of edited Deus Ex missions. Something along the lines of GMDX.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Nice!
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Okay, so I reverted back from windows 10 to 7, and it broke both UED 1 and 2. Once again, I can't load any maps in UED2, and I can't even launch UED1. It just crashes.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I'm going to do a complete, clean install. Deleting all of my Deus Ex stuff, so I can reinstall and see if it will work then.
EDIT: Alright, so it changed nothing. NOTHING!! The map even displays in ued2, right before crashing! Here are the specific details I captured:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: UnrealEd.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 39dc2ea0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 006100f3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

EDIT (again):
Miraculousy, it worked! While I was trying to record the problem, I loaded up the first UNATCO Hq map, and it actually loaded! I could move around and everything. Either that, or DEP kicked in after a little bit. :D