Editing DX for custom Reruns

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Fluppets
Mole Person

Editing DX for custom Reruns

Post by Fluppets »

Hi,

I had the idea of doing a rerun (and possible future reruns) with certain limitations akin to a "character class", by limiting certain options either through editing or just manually (ie: not investing points in certain skills).

So I was thinking of limiting the skill placement, augmentation upgrades as well as the usage of weapons for each game mode, or "class" if you will.

So for example:
Commando=
Weapons: Lethal melee + sniper rifle ONLY
max skills: Low-tech, Rifles and Lockpicking (rest limited)
Max Augs (rest limited): Stealth, EMP on-hit, Silent).

Then you could do a Soldier (pistol, assault rifle, grenades etc. etc.), Tank (Shotgun, heavy (GEP, LAW, Plasma...) an engineer (Demolition/grenades, computer = bots and turrets) or a Ghost (non-lethal + stealth).

So what I think I need to do is:
- limit the max level for certain skills and augs.
- limit/remove certain items
or make them unavailable to the player (ie: unable to pickup or delete on NPC-looting).
>> not being able to pick up certain items would be convenient for my current run as well, I am maxing out my stealth pistol and never use combat knife, but I keep picking them up from looting... UGH!
- [Advanced] So i probably wont be able to do this any time soon, but it would be cool if I could add these game modes to the difficulty level menu (ie: easy, normal, hard, realistic, commando, soldier, gunner, engineer, ghost...)

So im new to this, thanks for any help or if you could point me in the right direction, much obliged.
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: Editing DX for custom Reruns

Post by Hanfling »

Use a custom player class for limiting augs/skills.
Use mutators/spawn notifies to remove items, though this might get problematic because you get certain items in conversations, but you might hack it by giving sth. like a new HiddenItem, which is never displayed instead of the specific old one. E.g. you would use a spawnnotify to replace the GEPGun paul gives you with some NullItem which will never show up, etc. Or Maybe just removing the GEPGun with the spawnnotify causes no issue, just try it.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Fluppets
Mole Person

Post by Fluppets »

Cool, thx. Any idea where I could look to get started (im entirely new at this). Cheers
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I like this idea of having limited augs and weapons throughout the game. I would suggest having around 3 classes to start, something like Assault, Stealth and Mechanic (Or engineer). Like making a separate set of robots that Engineers could build and such.

And if this becomes a thing, I might just climb aboard.
Fluppets
Mole Person

Post by Fluppets »

Yeah, I think ill limit it, I mean let's start with figuring out HOW to do this before I get into the details :smile:

The "classes" I am thinking of right now are inspired upon battlefield heroes, a silly cartoonish "f2p - p2win" game I used to play with friends, but those classes are generic game-tropes of course.

You had a Commando that used snipers, booby traps and a knife, with targetting and stealth. A Soldier with pistols, Assault rifles. grenades and a heal. A gunner with Heavy guns, shotguns and rockets as well as a speed boost and defensive steroid.

They dont have an engineer, but that is something I think would definitely be alot of fun, working with turrets, robots, camera's, Biomod's EMP on-hit, spy drone and Booby traps and just no weapons at all :p