Need some continous in Editor testing of an OpenGLDrv

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Hanfling
MJ12

Need some continous in Editor testing of an OpenGLDrv

Post by Hanfling »

As the topic already states in need some continous in Editor testing of an OpenGLDrv I'm working on. For those who care a bit about it's history: This OpenGLDrv is build on top of ut436-opengldrv-src-090602 and it basically started with me building it for Nerf Arena Blast while working on headers for that particular game. I was quite suprised how well that source worked out of the box ingame, however this was not true for the Editor, so Rajade kept nudging me fixing this little sucker up for use in Editor...

Download:
OpenGLDrv-DeusEx-1112f-20151125.zip

Install:
[Backup your old OpenGLDrv.dll/OpenGLDrv.int files in System directory.] Place the content of the zip file into your System\ directory. Open up your DeusEx.ini, change under [Engine.Engine] WindowedRenderDevice to WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice . I recommend removing the old [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section in your DeusEx.ini and Default.ini file, so my OpenGLDrv can set it's proper default values by it's own.

Reminder:
I put out an editor fix some time ago which addresses the most common crash issues for UnrealEd. See: deusexedfix-20150809.zip

Known issues:
- Selection for sprites is not per pixel, but instead the square of the sprite texture.
- Popping of vertex edges when zooming in ortho view (although SoftDrv doesn't handle this different).

Known non issues:
- Coronas block selection. Basically coronas were not drawn for span based renderdevices (e.g. SoftDrv), so this issue didn't appear before. I suggest grabbing the above editor fix and disabling coronas in editor in RenderExt (or use "REND EDC" command to toggle them).
- Grid is drawn inside the map. The editor wants it to rendered that way, this seems to have been changed in later engine versions. However this can be worked around in a custom editor engine by overriding DrawWireBackground() and introducing a ClearZ there.
- When Show Backdrop is unchecked background outside map's bsp area is fucked up. Editor doesn't request clearing of color buffer before rendering again.

Thats it for now. Oh and it is kinda nice that the paths display is now depth cued. Suggestions, etc. are welcome.

p.s. This is for DeusEx NOT Unreal Tournament, though I could make some build too.
Last edited by Hanfling on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: Need some continous in Editor testing of an OpenGLDrv

Post by Hanfling »

Changelog:
- Coronas now don't affect selection in editor.
- Fixed regression for mesh rendering.
- Misc code changes.

Download:
OpenGLDrv-DeusEx-1112f-20151202.zip
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Changelog:
- Fixed regression for mouse clicks in texture browser not working.
- Removed UseTrilinear option (always used now when filtering)
- Rewritten MipMap upload code.
- MipMaps < 4x4 now get uploaded without any resampling.
- Temporary: Light/Fogmap borders and area outside the clamp is colored now to figure out whether any treatment of the Light/fogmaps is needed before unpack. So if you notice any green or red at the side of a bsp surface, report it.
- Fallback texture is used now for any unknown/unsupported texture format or if no supported mipmap level is included.
- Misc code changes (especially in respect to Disneys Brother Bear)

Download:
OpenGLDrv-DeusEx-1112f-20151211.zip
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Changelog:
- Removed lightmap testing. Testing revealed that (probably due to anisotopic filtering) the area outside the clamp is used. I've choosen an approach to copy the last valid values into the outside area to emulate the clamp to edge behaviour over an approach to use NPOT for light and fogmaps as this might cause unpredictable adverse (performance) behaviour on certain OpenGL implementations at the cost of a fixed, but predictable, performance penalty.
- Quirk for missing icons on Standard3V viewport on startup before toggling menu off/on.

Download:
OpenGLDrv-DeusEx-1112f-20160109.zip

With the quirk for the missing icons in Standard3V viewport upon startup, the only disadvantage compared to SoftDrv in Editor remains the non masked selection of sprites, while at the same time offering dozens of advantages. :)
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Small update (without build):
Did a huge step forward on the non fixed function code path, now meshes are done in shaders and I implemented it rather flexible, so I get also the BumpMap, DetailTexture and MacroTexture as samples and each of their basic 4 float properties (Diffuse, Specular, Alpha and Scale). So I played around a bit with cartoon style for Nerf and added support for GlowMaps (use the MacroTexture as the GlowMap, use MacroTexture.DrawScale to scale the amount of glow). I have some, though not perfectly working picking for non fixed function code path now, so I can use editor with it. You now can use the OpenGLRenderDevice also for the temporary viewport (which is used when rebuilding lights). Either hexedit WinDrv or plain delete SoftDrv.dll. I also added some (dynamic) support to modify UWrap/VWrap behaviour in case those variables are declared in either Bitmap.uc or Texture.uc. Added support for some more texture formats and sRGB variants of the classic formats, etc. but they are of limited unless I catch in HTK with importing them. At least for now i divide the rgb value by alpha for masked textures so the black borders around the edges of masked areas are gone.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

So yeah. Now my OpenGLDrv will officially crash with vanilla DeusEx because of an Epic fail. Their UnTemplate.h file had countless bugs and one of them causes Extension.InputExt to crash. Made up an HX.HXInput which does exactly the same, doesnt crash. But as ION hardcoded InputExt into the configuration dialogue, etc. it becomes kind of pointless to even ship a fixed Input subsystem, because it is (even needless) hardcoded in the config dialogue. k thanks bye.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Shameful, quick and dirty hacks: ION Storm! I wonder how many times they ignored this warning while they were working on Deus Ex:

Code: Select all

//=============================================================================
// This is a built-in Unreal class and it shouldn't be modified.
//=============================================================================