Stephanie Maxwell

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Stephanie Maxwell

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Vandenberg. Female Scientist held hostage. This is the only vanilla/GOTY map bug I've yet to fix as far as I am aware. She just refuses to talk to the player. I was wondering if anyone has fixed this, to save me time figuring it out myself.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Stephanie Maxwell

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Vandenberg. Female Scientist held hostage. This is the only vanilla/GOTY map bug I've yet to fix as far as I am aware. She just refuses to talk to the player. I was wondering if anyone has fixed this, to save me time figuring it out myself.
Not fixed, but I can tell you the condition involved. She's mute otherwise, but in order to get her to talk the "blow up the door" conversation *has* to trigger.
MJ12 TROOP Let's see how well you can follow orders.
STEPHANIE MAXWELL I will die before I betray Dr. Savage.
MJ12 TROOP You will be permitted to work in one of our laboratories, but you must be willing to follow orders.
STEPHANIE MAXWELL You might as well kill me now.
MJ12 TROOP Come on. Position the dynamite as I instructed.
STEPHANIE MAXWELL I did enough of your dirty work at Area 51.
MJ12 TROOP As you wish.

(MJ12 TROOP will kill STEPHANIE MAXWELL here if you don't stop him)
Of course the next part of the conversation doesn't make sense if you don't save her. The problem may be poor planning on the DX creators part if there's no alternate conversation we've never heard.
JC DENTON You all right?
STEPHANIE MAXWELL Where the hell are the bots? They're supposed to exterminate these -- these -- these -

(either plays depending on what you've done with the defense system powering the bots)
1. JC DENTON MJ12 cut the power to the defense system, but don't worry, the situation's under control.
2. JC DENTON The defense system had to be activated with auxiliary power, but don't worry, the situation's under control.
Your answer lies in what happens to MJ12 TROOP. If you do something to draw his attention, nothing happens until he gets back to STEPHANIE MAXWELL and you make the conversation go. If you happen to kill him, the whole thing gets broken.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

This is about like all the "player bounce" bugs that exist in the other conversations - make them dependent on one another, you can't get anything out of one without frobbing the other one first (for instance the bums at the gas station).
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I never really noticed that... Strange. It seems pretty easy to fix though. It's just a matter of making it whether or not she is afraid of carcasses, shots, projectiles, ect. After all, she does say that she's not a afraid of them in her barks.

Speaking of the bums at the gas station...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCYuf1H2uY
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Bogie wrote: Speaking of the bums at the gas station...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCYuf1H2uY
Another great example of interdependent NPCs causing problems when something is broken. Rushed production schedules I suppose, as the Gilbert and Sandra Renton sequence was relatively fine.

The funnest one is retrieving the sword and then visiting that *other* Max Chen on the rooftop (can't find a vid of it though).

Edit: Try killing the female bum at the gas station. The dependent NPC (the male one "Fred") will do the same thing as Stephanie Maxwell.

The main thing with all these cases is a flag needs to be set when the initiator NPC is killed so they'll still talk.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

The Max Chen glitch I saw on the AGDQ Speedrun of Deus Ex.