No fog on CageLight in 02_NYC_BatteryPark.

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Hanfling
MJ12

No fog on CageLight in 02_NYC_BatteryPark.

Post by Hanfling »

So, there is this pretty infamous room in 02_NYC_BatteryPark, which didn't have fog on that unlit control panel, decals or on that damn CageLight.

Screenshot:
http://coding.hanfling.de/decal_fog.png
Fog was increased for testing, in vanilla it is way less dense.

While i figured out how to address the first two issues, I still have no idea why it happens for the CageLight. Any ideas?
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Hanfling
MJ12

Re: No fog on CageLight in 02_NYC_BatteryPark.

Post by Hanfling »

Turned out, simply remove bUnlit on the CageLight actor actually fixed it: http://coding.hanfling.de/nevermind_though.png
However, that doesn't quite explain that (odd) behaviour (bug?).
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Strange.

Cage lights are the most troublesome deco in my experience, probably because of their attached non pre-built lighting. This could be conflicting with the fog which is closely related.
Or perhaps could be to do with HDTP deco LoD or DX10 Renderer?
Both cause some pretty weird shit sometimes.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

It's the vanilla CageLight, and I'm not using HDTP. As for RenDev's it doesn't seems to matter at all which one I use, despite that you get the unlit color applied before the vertices are passed in, so RenDev part is the exactly same as for non unlit gouraud polygons.

My suspicion is more that either some value like ScaleGlow, AmbientGlow, whatever.. kills of the fog some way (and is more like a desired behaviour) or that it might be a bug in scope of Render. I just fixed a bug regarding unlit handling yesterday with my RenderExt. In HX I use the visual style used for ScriptedPawns when cloaked for players as well (e.g. Style=STY_Translucent and ScaleGlow=0.05), but when another player (or yourself in the mirror) had the AdaptiveArmor in hand, the inner unlit texture didn't show up translucent. Turned out that just Owner.Style is applied to the Weapon/CurrentItem when rendering the 3rd person view, but applying ScaleGlow was missing in this case, which is crucial for deriving the unlit color.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah, it's the engine/rendering side of things which I don't know too much about so I was just taking a shot in the dark fog. A blind guess. Since I'm one of three or four that checks in to these forums occasionally I thought a blind guess may at least be worth something eh.
Hope you find the issue.