Editing pre-existing text files, how to ?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
scryspc
Mole Person

Editing pre-existing text files, how to ?

Post by scryspc »

Hello there !

After replaying the first game for the fifth time this month, I've stumbled upon something that I'm not fond of. The french version of the game is full of typos and in some cases, the subtitles don't match the audio.

For instance, that audio quote from Paul
You better head to the Statue. has been textually translated as You better look for Filben.

Another one is from various UNATCO troops right after the capture of Leo Gold, who say
They sent us to pick up the pieces. We've already searched the bodies and delivered the enemy munitions to the quartermaster.
in French it has been poorly adapted by displaying a mere "Well done, Agent".

That's how the idea of improving the french translation came into my mind. By using the original english subtitles and their french translation as a base, we could get something better.

The only problem is that I don't know how to modify already existing subtitles files. I guess it has something to do with Con Edit but it prompts me to select a .con or .conv (not sure about the actual file format anymore) file to work with, but I haven't found such things in my game files. Where are they located please ?

Some help would be much appreciated !
Thank you !
Made in China
MJ12

Re: Editing pre-existing text files, how to ?

Post by Made in China »

I suggest you look here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/confix

I created this mod a while ago. Fixes a lot of logic errors and scripting errors. The source files also have the .u files decompiled, so both the audio files and the text files are extracted and organized, of which you'd only need the text files - "Confix scripts". Editing is done via ConEdit (get it on the mod's files), and compilation is done via UCC (you can get with the Deus Ex SDK).

As long as you don't create new text boxes or move them around, all you need to do is edit the actual text in the boxes. It might or might not work for you and you'll want to get more familiar with ConEdit, and I can try and help in the once-in-a-blue-moon I'm here. You can also try and contact the Revision team on both the OTP Discord and the Revision Discord - Bjorn and Hawk have fixed a great deal in ConSys and, I believe, are way more proficient than I am. DefaultPlayer001 also has experience with it, but I don't know if he's active here (I barely am).

If you reach a final product based on the Confix scripts, I'd be glad to both credit you and add your translation to my mod. Confix was always made to be a base to further Deus Ex translations. It is also compatible with GMDX and has some checks and fixes for it (which might not be wanted in Vanilla), so it's another facet to basing your translation on my files, rather than on the vanilla ones.

Important note: Do not change the conversation names! I know it's tempting and you'd want to change them, but they're used as flags and for precedence checks. In the end, reckless changes will hurt compatibility and stability.
scryspc
Mole Person

Post by scryspc »

Thank you, I'm downloading it right now ! Does it contains text for readable items such as computers and datacubes ? Will I be able to modify the main menu's text strings ?
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

No, for those you'd need to decompile DeusExText.u, and maybe DeusExWeapons.u for item descriptions. They can be decompiled using DEED, but that program is kinda dangerous (it wipes the folder you're unpacking to - so if you unpack, for instance, to C:\ it'll try to wipe your drive). Unfortunately, I didn't get around to fixing and creating the compile scripts for those, so the Revision team will be far more help than me on that subject.