Cannot access dxediting.com web page

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
tzang
Thug

Re: Cannot access dxediting.com web page

Post by tzang »

Jonas wrote:Meh, who cares about DXE, there was barely any TNM discussion going on over there anyway :roll:
How rude, there were constant advertisements for TNM on our news page... well, 2 IIRC :evil:
tzang productions - For all your IT support needs

Project HD Music - High Quality music for Deus Ex
(just realised my host wiped out the content along with TNM mirrors, will restore later)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Morpheus wrote:Yeah, I forgot it was TNMEditing.com :lol:
It should be!

DX is irrelevant now that TNM is out ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fender2k1
NSF

Post by fender2k1 »

ah nuts didnt read before i posted in the general section.

all edgenetwork hosted sites and databases are completely deleted.

im bringing deus-ex.org back online to display the latest deusexgaming backup i have plus a few of the hosted sites.

Sites this affects..
DeusExGaming.com
dxr.deusexgaming.com
unatcoborn.deusexgaming.com
redsun2020.deusexgaming.com
DXEditing.com

if dxe is recovered is it going to come to otp?
Follow UNATCO Born on twitter for the latest updates:
http://twitter.com/unatcoborn

forums:
http://dxr.deus-ex.org/forums/

NO THANKS I ALREADY HAD A HAM SANDWICH IN THE CHOPPER
http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If anyone wants to try to reconstruct these sites using publicly available resources, I've recently come across this utility that should theoretically automate the process.
tzang
Thug

Post by tzang »

chris the cynic wrote:If anyone wants to try to reconstruct these sites using publicly available resources, I've recently come across this utility that should theoretically automate the process.
Thanks for the very useful link [-o<

The recovery process looks like it will take a few days although I don't know how the recovered data will be put back into SQL. The future of DXE is uncertain but OTP has kindly offered us a place to host until the future is decided... I'm almost certain Jonas will kill us one by one before any decision is reached :twisted:

On a more serious note, we do know people are still interested in DX, the original SDK and some of the odd bits and bobs relating to the Unreal Engine so there's still some use to the site. However, after 8 and a half years, the site has lost a fair amount of staff along with productivity (other than the forums). Unless DX3 offers some sort of editor and revives the community, I think DXE will be put into archives in a similar way to PDX (hopefully the archive, with OTP's permission, can stay here forever).
tzang productions - For all your IT support needs

Project HD Music - High Quality music for Deus Ex
(just realised my host wiped out the content along with TNM mirrors, will restore later)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

But then I'll need to change my title! :(
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, TNM is supposed to get a SDK, I am sure there will be some people fidling with that... who might need some help in the form of DXE...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

tzang wrote:I'm almost certain Jonas will kill us one by one before any decision is reached :twisted:
I wouldn't kill you, then who would I lord over?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hassat, you realise you already have everything you need to edit TNM already, right?

As long as the texture packs are in your textures folder, the sounds in your sounds, and the code packs in your system folder and referenced directly by deusex.ini (see TNM.ini for how they should look/what order they should be in), you can load up and monkey about with TNM maps happily. I did this for a few bits of testing: you can just make two deusex.ini files, one for TNM and one for normal, and swap between them.

You can't make code changes via export/recompile, since they bundled meshes and textures and stuff up with their code [-X , but anything you can do with the editor normally you should be able to do to TNM.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:You can't make code changes via export/recompile, since they bundled meshes and textures and stuff up with their code [-X
See, I didn't want to do that, but the programmers insisted that they would go insane if we didn't split the code package up. Rather than having 5 different code packages in addition to all the content packages, it made more sense to put the code into the packages that contained the relevant content. The complicated interdependency certainly provided some headaches along the way though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

This is kind of both good AND bad.

The good thing is, if I'm going to start posting here instead of there, I might get more help with all of those questions & issues I've been having with making new changes to the game.

<_< The bad thing is.........I don't remember just how many unanswered questions I've posted there. #-o Hell, the last thing I remember talking about on the site was how my efforts to help Temorezella (at least, I think that's how his name was spelled) create a mod that expands the size of the inventory from a 5X6 grid to a 6X6 grid met with colossal failure.
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

So, who spilt the Pepsi on the server?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Xesum wrote:So, who spilt the Pepsi on the server?
Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of host decides one day to delete a pile of websites. If I accidentally spilled tea on my company's server's RAID case, and then tripped, knocking it into my desk furnace next to my supermagnet, Hallmark doesn't have a card for that. I've seen problems like this happen before of course, but there's some missing communication, and some badly/cheaply administrated hosting servers. I don't know what edgenetwork.org looked like before, but it looks like they're having problems company-wide. What they need is a note or someone to say "Recently, some unusually high solar radiation levels caused gamma rays to unfraggle our hard drives, their backups, and the drives at our remote backup co-location center. We're very sorry for the effects it has had, but in the future, we will be shielding our servers with 10ft thick Pepsi-proof Unobtanium. Thanks for your patience, and please continue sucking it with Careless Servers."

That Warrick thing looks awesome, automatically stitching large internet archives together.

Off Topic Productions (Incorporated) has helped a lot with hosting many other projects. Hopefully they can help.
Last edited by justanotherfan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Hardrives need to be better designed.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I guess. I think they're pretty awesome now though. I miss SeaShield though, where the PCB was protected; I've heard a couple of sparks before, where a HD never comes back. Without the supermagnet and furnace, drive data can at least be recovered. With proper administration, data isn't lost. It'd be nice if drives were more rugged...maybe we'll see water-resistant SSDs.