Cannot access dxediting.com web page

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
terthos
Thug

Cannot access dxediting.com web page

Post by terthos »

I couldn't access the dxediting.com site at all yesterday, same so far for today. Does anyone know the site status?
Last edited by terthos on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Cannot access dxediting.com web page

Post by Trestkon »

Those of us on the "inside" don't know much more, but we're working on it. Unfortunately, DXE has been drifting out of our reach for a long time, with most people having forgotten their admin passwords and nobody having access to the entire system. It looks like EdgeNetwork may have disabled the DNS servers, but we're looking into it, and when we figure it out we'll get it back up ASAP. Most likely we'll move it over to OTP webspace, so that we have more direct control. The URL will stay the same of course, as I own that.

Sorry about the downtime, though, we screwed that up a bit. It's a bit ironic, too, as I had a discussion with Slicer literally the day before it went down about taking some kind of action and getting full control of DXE back <_<
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

<_< I was about to make a topic for this, but I kept getting distracted by other **** (Oblivion & DnD, mostly).

:-s At least now we know (those of us with membership at both forum sites, anyway) what the hell happened. #-o
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Trestkon wrote:...taking some kind of action and getting full control of DXE back <_<
WITH FYEYAR!!!!!!
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Bad news. It seems the DXE directory is empty, which means that Edgenetwork probably deleted the site. We're still not 100% sure what's going on, but I've temporarily redirected DXEditing.com (might take a bit to go into effect) to these forums so people have a place to go/ask questions.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Database also empty?
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Trestkon wrote:Bad news. It seems the DXE directory is empty, which means that Edgenetwork probably deleted the site. We're still not 100% sure what's going on, but I've temporarily redirected DXEditing.com (might take a bit to go into effect) to these forums so people have a place to go/ask questions.
Dang, but your redirecting does not work, it goes here: /forums not http://offtopicproductions.com/forum unless that was the right redirection and its just not implimented yet, but thanks for letting us know.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

It's a conspiracy!

OTP is taking EVERYTHING,

First Tacks, now DXEditing?

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :x

Kiddin, :so:

Waiting for it to come back, good luck backing it up. [-o<

EDIT:

THAT above was meant to be posted when Trest said that he's moving to OTP.

Wut? It's deleted? #-o
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Morpheus wrote:
Trestkon wrote:Bad news. It seems the DXE directory is empty, which means that Edgenetwork probably deleted the site. We're still not 100% sure what's going on, but I've temporarily redirected DXEditing.com (might take a bit to go into effect) to these forums so people have a place to go/ask questions.
Dang, but your redirecting does not work, it goes here: /forums not http://offtopicproductions.com/forum unless that was the right redirection and its just not implimented yet, but thanks for letting us know.
Yeah, working on fixing it! Slicer is digging up backups right now, but it looks like we'll probably end up losing a lot of forum posts.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The redirect seems to be working now.

I don't know how useful any of them are but Google currently has links to 232 pages on the forums over there. The copies in Google's cache could be used to back up said info, if you think it needs saving.
tzang
Thug

Post by tzang »

The good news is that both Trestio and myself have anticipated this, the bad news is that most of DXE staff is MIA or have forgotten their log-in details, hence the important DXE database is lost. The site itself is backed up, however, the content was stored on SQL.

Although I can access the original hosts of DXE (edge network), all access privileges are being denied so I cannot obtain the latest forum database or even make a simple HTML file to redirect all DXE visitors. The latest forum database backup is dated April 2008 (I believe this was when Trestio and myself started discussing about making backup plans for DXE...). Nothing else is showing in the tons of SQL files found on my backup that relates to DXE forums. Although it isn't a problem restoring the forums, some fairly interesting and important threads will be lost in the process :cry:

As for the site itself, rebuilding the database will take a bit of time. Fortunately, web archives are on our side. I will see what can be salvaged and will discuss the problems with DXE staff that are still alive. Hopefully, DX3 will bring back further interest to the site as well. For now, we will see how we can get everything restored 8)

PS Blame carone.

[Latest Update] I am now searching through my entire archives, which is 7TB big. Hopefully there is some good news within.
tzang productions - For all your IT support needs

Project HD Music - High Quality music for Deus Ex
(just realised my host wiped out the content along with TNM mirrors, will restore later)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Meh, who cares about DXE, there was barely any TNM discussion going on over there anyway :roll:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Meh, who cares about DXE, there was barely any TNM discussion going on over there anyway :roll:
Before I read this thread, I thought DXE was a fictional place invented by TNM :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Jonas wrote:Meh, who cares about DXE, there was barely any TNM discussion going on over there anyway :roll:
Yeah, I forgot it was TNMEditing.com :lol:
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Apart from that huge 7-page thread about TNM.