Conedit and NPC following JC...

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Conedit and NPC following JC...

Post by AlvinD »

Hi guys I'm baack this time looking to know if anyone knows any tutorials on giving an NPC the chance to join you/follow you after a choice made in conversation. Exactly like Miguel in unatco. I'm making some real nice progress so some light shed would be nice.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Conedit and NPC following JC...

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm, try giving the pawn an order of "Following" and as the OrdersTag "Player". I'm just making stuff up though, so might not work.

List of orders is here: http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor ... /Order.htm
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Damn! I knew of all the orders except this one:

"Shadowing: Causes the NPC to follow a specific pawn in circumspect fashion. The pawn to be followed is specified by the OrderTag variable. The NPC will try to keep the pawn in sight at all times, running if necessary. If the pawn is watching the NPC, the NPC will appear to be in a Wandering state. This is the paranoid "is-he-following-me-or-isn't-he" state."

I wish I knew of this a month or two ago, could have proved it's worth in an interesting scenario.
Never mind.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Yeah. Don't know if that works or if it's well implemented. Never tried it myself.

Both Tack's tutorials and the ones at Universal Constructor are pretty nice.
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

oOoOoOoOo I never knew that table existed :) much appreciated. Any idea under what bit I use it in conEdit?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

This is what Miguel looks like in ConEdit.

As you see flags are set on convo, probably to keep track if he is following you when loading the next map. So if you don't need him to follow you across maps then you can just leave out the flags. Next a Trigger is fired, nsftrigger. Look it up in UED, it's next to Miguel.

Anyway, it's a simple order trigger that has Miguel as it's event and then has the order of "Following" and no orderstag. Just be sure to turn off collision for this trigger, so you don't accidentally touch it.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

Bjorn you are the man! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very very much :)
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Glad to be of service. :)

I should really make some tutorials of topics not covered by Tack or Universal Constructor (are there more tutorial sites I don't know of?). I've at least acquired some knowledge over the years. ^^
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

Share the knowledge definitely! That's a brilliant idea. Finish off what Tack and UC could not :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Also, fwiw: only fire the trigger at the very end of the conversation. Depending on circumstances, you may even need to use a dispatcher to delay it marginally. For some reasons giving orders during conversations is quite buggy.
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

There's someone I haven't spoken o in a while :) I will do this as you say! Hankssss!