Photoshop Pink Mask Help..

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
~DJ~
UNATCO

Re: Photoshop Pink Mask Help..

Post by ~DJ~ »

You.. did what?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Course you could always just PM one of us the image, and we could do it for you.

Or are there a lot of images?
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Well, I'm not willing to make just' a texture.. I've planned to make many. If you want to try stuff out, goto the first page.. and there's that spider-web's texture with alot of shades.

I'll create a video though.. soonish!
DDL

Post by DDL »

I wouldn't mask that spiderweb anyway: it's a bad choice for masking. Masking is totally yes/no: no antialiasing in this game, so you won't get fuzzy edges, you'll get sharp, per-pixel edges. Masking is best reserved for things with fairly angular elements, or for brightly coloured things where translucency wouldn't work.

For a spiderweb, being a series of white lines on a black background, translucency seems perfect: the black will become invisible, the white fully visible. Any greys inbetween will be progressively invisible as they approach black.
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

just use an alpha-channels on textures with new direct-x 10 render ;)
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Oh, thanks DLL. If you haven't told me about this, I would have kept trying to change this to pinkmask or something. Blackmask/translucency da best for this.

@Yachs: What?
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

I HATE GIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGGGGGGHAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S LIKE THEY DON'T EVEN REMOTELY TRY TO BE LIKE WINDOWS PAINT JUST TO HELP YOU GROOVEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how do I get that exact shade of purple in gimp?

My comp doesn't seem to open "bright".
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

actually bright seems to be some sort of cmd thing. I'm gonna take a wild guess and do this "bright -pinkmask planks.tga planks.pcx" and see if it magically works.

-edit- well, it created a new file, but now, not only is it not working, but the boards turned blue.

-edit- i forgot the flags = 2 thing, so now it is masked but bright is inverting the colors.

-edit- i have to simply use bright twice, i guess, in order to re-invert the colors. So, create a text document in your texture folder titled maskconv.cmd and write inside something like:

Code: Select all

bright -pinkmask planks.pcx planksa.pcx
del planks.pcx
bright -pinkmask planksa.pcx planks.pcx

what a world what a world
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

WTF!! I followed the exact procedure as last time but the pink is still showing up on this next texture. The only thing that could possibly be different is that the dimensions are larger: 512 x 512

-edit- Ok, I'm giving up. My conclusion is that it has to be the that the bright program is faulty. It is not inverting colors on the first try this time. The fact that it did that last time tells me this shit is broke. If anyone knows how I can do whatever this "last color" thing is with gimp, let me know preeze.

-edit- OK!! Worksish now. Basically, you can open up the color palette in gimp by going to the top and going to "colors" "map" and "rearrange color map". The first color is the masked color. Basically, the problem was that there were gradients of the color pink, rather than a single color, and bright didnt like that, or something, so stay away from the brush tool. Use the "fill" or the "pencil" tool.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I would suggest not masking anything until you've converted it to an 8-bit image, and then go around adding your chosen masking colour to everything you want masked, that way you know it's the right colour.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

~DJ~ wrote:That I know off.. :/

Which color table should I edit? I tried making the last one pink and it doesn't mask..

EDIT: Looks like tack's down. I remember OTP hosting tack's too, links anyone?
Nope, Tack's lab works just fine: http://www.planetdeusex.com/tack/

Simple way I did this. I exported the PinkMaskTex, loaded it in graphic editor (I used Paint.net but same applies for most graphic editors that are good) used a color picker tool on the pinkmasktex, this got me the right color of pink, then I just found the area I wanted to pink mask on my texture and loaded the texture, cut out the area and filled in the color with paint bucket (or bucket fill, or whatever its called on what your using) job done, just import the texture and it should appear fine. Only issue with Pain.net, it doesn't allow you to save in PCX, so you have to use BMP format which can make images larger and slower to load.

Color Picker on Paint.net:
Picker
Picker
colorpicker.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
Just select it, mouse over to the color on the pinkmasktex and left click it, you should then have it in the color pallette, then just do what I said above.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DDL

Post by DDL »

And to reiterate: it does not need to be pink. The ONLY reason most textures use 255,0,255 (or ff00ff, if you prefer) is because it is a fucking horrible colour that is unlikely to ever be used for anything you'd actually see. It is not necessary, tho. I often use greens, reds, or any number of colours depending on what I'm doing. As long as the exact colour that you select for masking does not appear anywhere else in your texture, there's no reason why it couldn't be any colour at all.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Right, but that whole boards turning blue thing was due to color inversion, I had already changed it to 256 colors. It must have come from the bright program. I used bright a second time to fix it. It never did that again. I still haven't tried using the color map to simply assign the first color as the 255/0/255 pink yet. Bright does that for you. But next time I'll try going without using bright, by using the color map in gimp.

The second mishap was what the original poster was dealing with. The OP was accidentally using multiple shades of pink, I guess, because that is exactly why my picture kept showing up unmasked. For instance, the "paint brush" tool in gimp differs from the "pencil" tool, because the edges are hard, not gradients of pink. While I couldnt tell if this was the problem at face, I use the "select color" tool from the toolbar and clicked the pink area, and it selected a camouflage pattern of pink cluing me in that the pink area was not all the same shade. So I used the pencil and the fill section bucket to make sure it was all the same, and it worked.